SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

How Much Light Can String of Pearls (Senecio Rowleyanus) Tolerate?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

After several seasons of failing to grow String of Pearls well in the gritty mix, in full California sun, I finally have started to have more success using wetter container soils. But the most success has been in plants that only get indirect light. Online resources claim that this plant likes full sun, but I am finding the plants in the full sun turn yellow and often look stressed, even when the roots remain lightly moist in well-draining soil. What amount of sun have others used successfully with this plant? Our California Summers are typically 80F to 95F.

The first photo below shows a container of pearls grown in the shade. The second photo shows how I keep that container further shaded by using a metal mesh screen. Those pearls stay green and full. In the top right corner of the first photo, I circled in red a section that is turning yellow, which corresponds to the side of the container that gets hot. The final photo shows plants being raised out in the full sun, and notice how many of the pearls are turning yellow. Does the yellow coloration signify too much sun alone, or could there be other factors?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH