SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gls6334

Glass ceramic tile installation

gls6334
3 years ago

Hello,

I had my bathrooms updated approx. 3 years ago. I tore out my tub and installed a walk in shower in my upstairs bathroom. My shower has 1" X 1" mosaic glass tiles installed on the entire floor. Last week 23 tile popped up, mostly where I stand under the shower head.

The contractor who did the work was out yesterday and told me that I should not use 1X1s for a shower floor because they have a smooth surface and cannot be held into place well. They said that I need to replace my tile floor with a 3"X3" that has a rough surface on the back to increase adhesion.

The tile mfr and the tile supplier have both agreed that the tile can be used on the floor. I think it is a lazy contractor who does not know how to install a glass tile. It looks like there is a specific tile adhesive that should have been used. I doubt that they did.

I will have another tile installer look at the floor this week.

My reason to post - Have any of you seen failures like this because "small glass tile should not be used for a shower floor?" Seems ludicrous to me. By the way, I live by myself, so there is maybe 1 shower a day...

They also told me that I can use the shower. That seems risky to me. I have had another tile installer tell me not to use it. I see no evidence that the water proofing has been damaged, but my gut also says, "Don't use it."

Thanks in advance for any comments on this subject.

Comments (3)