SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

My Chromebook's sudden demise

Alisande
3 years ago

My Dell Inspiron Chromebook 3181 appears to have died. I bought it on a Black Friday deal in 2018. I use it for part of most days, but 1.5 years seems like an awfully short lifespan.

I assume the battery--or maybe the battery charger--is the problem. The battery has been great about holding a charge, and I don't normally let it get very low. But yesterday it wouldn't turn on. It displayed an orange icon with an exclamation point in it in the center of the screen. I figured it must represent a battery, so I charged it and it was fine. It was okay this morning too, but turned itself off later and won't start again. I tried charging it, but nothing changed.

Surely the battery life should be longer than 1.5 years too. According to Dell's website, the warranty expired in January.

Is there a way to test the battery charger? When I plug it into the Chromebook the LED lights up white, which according to Dell means the battery is critically low. Would you say this indicates the charger is working okay?

Thanks!

Comments (6)