SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ac91z6

Roses and dryer vents, asking before planting!

ac91z6
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So I've got to re-home a rose or two, and my sister has a place she'd be happy to plant one. Problem is, it's near her dryer vent, and she's had problems getting other things to grow there (Irises specifically). If you have other suggestions - sedums? hardy geraniums? coneflowers? - please let me know! I can always add a plant or two to an order of perennials for myself!

I'm in northern MO, a cold z6 - 20 minutes north and you hit zone 5. This would be on southwest side of her house, full sun. I don't know how far out from the house she's willing to go; I know that could make a big difference but I don't have that information today. Hopefully I can update that tomorrow.

The roses on the possible chopping block:

'Braveheart' and 'Princess Elise' from Heirloom Roses - BH is in a bad spot, and PE is still a runt, but going into her third year. Being California bred, they might appreciate more heat than they're getting in my yard.

'Black Cherry' - another runt, but might just be too close to 'Tupelo Honey' and needs moved a little for more sun (I could put BH in this spot instead).

'White Gold' - admittedly, this one is being swamped by a 'Moody Blues' veronica that I plan to move and it is doing better this year. So far anyway, as I did see evidence of Rose Mosaic Virus in it's leaves this spring.

'Golden Border' - actually very pleased with this one, but I got two small plants from Hortico a couple years ago and they're both chugging along alright. One is in a worse spot than the other, and might appreciate a new home.

not-'Umbra', probably 'Ulrich Brunner Fils' - I planted this guy in a fairly shady spot, thinking he was a once-blooming Gallica; nope, he's a mislabel. Very fragrant though!

probably 'Madame Hardy', another mislabel - I actually think this isn't a good choice for that spot, and would also get bigger than my sister wants. I'm more curious as to if she'd work in such a spot.

I also have a 'Rook' and 'Treasure Trail' (pretty confident Rook is Rook, TT hasn't bloomed yet) but I really don't want to part with them - again, just interested in whether or not they'd be options for such a spot.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments (10)