SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Small gym etiquette

eld6161
3 years ago

Our gated community has a tiny gym that is now open for use. I now only use the recumbent bike because I have gotten into the habit of doing my own workout at home.

A few weeks ago I went to use the bike. The gym was empty. A man waltzes in turns on the TV to the news, exactly what I wanted to get a break from. I did not say anything.

Today, the same thing happens. I politely said that I would be here 30 minutes and did he think we could have quiet for 15 of those?

Past history: I have witnessed other politely asking if they could turn off or turn on the TV.

Well.....this man lashed out at me, explaining why the TV was there, he didn’t want to hear my huffing and puffing or some someone else’s treadmill on and on. If I didn’t want a TV in the gym I should ask to have it removed.

Then, he purposely grunted and smacked down the weights during every rep Of his entire work out. I just kept peddling, but was seething.

He turns the TV ( I had 5 minutes to go) off and starts in again about his right to the TV. I called him out on smacking the weights. Since he told me he comes everyday, then he should know the proper way to use the weights. I had him on that one. I also told him I have seen others ask about TV use.

Then he reads rules but of course has to stop because it says no grunting and to use the machine respectfully.

He said that he comes everyday between 1:30-3:30 for twenty minutes and I should avoid that time or get ear plugs. And he felt we were not arguing but having a conversation.

There is another rule sheet near the door. Number 11 is use the TV conscientiously. Pray tell, how would YOU interpret that?

With only two of us in there, how wrong was I to want to split the difference? He could have told me he was there for 20 and had it on for ten of his workout time.

Rant over.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio