SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

New garage door advice

lilylchen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

TL;DR can I paint something like the Cloplay Coachman garage door which is made from "4-layer construction (composite overlay-steel insulation-steel)". What else aesthetically is lost going to a "cheaper" door.

I have a rental property that I need to replace the garage door on. It's a 1920's bungalow in Northern California, with detached garage. The house was my own house before I got married, and I am attached to how it aesthetically looks (and remains to look).

The garage door is prominent in the curb appeal of the house because it sits to the side of the house (not in the back like you see with most 1920's detached garages). It's constructed with multiple layers of wood. I looked about 8 months ago and got quotes from $4-6K for similar replacements. I'm now looking at Home Depot's website. Just as an example is a Cloplay Coachman 9x7 for around $1800 (I know that doesn't include installation). It says this is made from " 4-layer construction (composite overlay-steel insulation-steel). https://www.homedepot.com/p/Clopay-Coachman-Collection-9-ft-x-7-ft-18-4-R-Value-Intellicore-Insulated-Solid-White-Garage-Door-CXU13-SW-TOP11/204598554

One thing that is most important to me is that I can paint the door, so I'm not stuck with this big ugly white door at the front of the lot. Is that possible with that door? I know I'm not going to stain the door, so I don't need it to be stain-grade finished. What will I lose with going with this or a similar door vs going back to something closer to my original? Is it difficult for the paint to adhere to this surface?

I know I can think of one thing already - well, maybe not so if I chose something like the Clopay Coachman which doesn't have windows. My current door is probably 5 or 6 inches deep. So there's some real character depth with the windows. If I switched to one of these Cloplay doors that did have windows, the door is only 2 inches thick so I'm sure I'd get a much shallower look to it.

Comment