SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Paint Color In Living Space

Raluca
3 years ago

Hi everyone... we need help with a neutral color throughout the living space. We just finished installing new hardwood floors throughout and want to change the wall colors (we just moved here last year and haven’t had a chance to paint yet). we have a large cathedral ceiling living room with stone fireplace, another sitting area with stone fireplace, dining room and a play room. I would not mind painting it all the same color as it’s all an open space. Here are some pictures of the rooms with the flooring and some pics with our furniture which is going back in. I want light and airy, no model home grays! Thanks!!

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Eliza-Page Interiors, llc
    3 years ago

Hey there!
    First let me ask you, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you love your teal chairs, and stone fireplace?

• sloyder
    3 years ago

The green color is nice, or I might go with Linen White.

• Related Discussions

Favorite affinity colors for main living space?

Q

Comments (3)
    Our family room/dining room is Pashmina which is pretty and our daughters rim is metropolitan which I love as well. Jute looks like it could be a good option. Good luck and have fun with it!
    ...See More

Help me paint my open space I need some great pAint color ideas.

Q

Comments (2)
    more pics
    ...See More

Best color to paint living room, + common spaces in 70’s home

Q

Comments (3)
    Carrying around the paint chips, a sofa cushion, and a few clippings of beige carpet fibers saves a lot of time. Look at an oyster color (could look good, could look awful) and a shade of blue from the mid-blue in the Oriental carpet.
    ...See More

Any beige paint suggestions for my living/dining/kitchen space?

Q

Comments (8)
    Again thank you all for the suggestions. I am now leaning toward a warm white vs. a beige! Out of 12 samples (mostly beiges), I've narrowed it down to 4 (1 off-white, 3 beiges), now just trying to figure out which looks best with the kitchen backsplash. (I think they all look fine with the countertop, various woods, & living room, so it's coming down to the kitchen.) If anyone would like to share their opinions on the following choices, I'd appreciate any input: SW Creamy SW Canvas Tan BM Gentle Cream BM Dulce de Leche On the countertop Earlier in the living room, with other samples. SW Creamy is at the top. BM Gentle Cream is on the bottom. Earlier in the living room, with other samples. BM Dulce de Leche is at the top. SW Canvas Tan is 3rd from the top. I've discovered it is very hard to capture beige on camera! Hopefully you can see the subtle differences in these photos.
    ...See More
  • lefty47
    3 years ago

HI - Beautiful floors ...Because of your ceilings , paint the walls and ceilings all the same color -- Look at Dove White by Benjamin Moore or Creamy White by Sherwin Williams -- these are both warm whites . I just did Creamy White on my walls and ceiling and it is a beautiful affect .

• PRO
    3 years ago

Creamy by SW is a great choice, Shell White might also be another option. (I'm sure the photos are not going to translate perfectly through my phone but I'm taking pictures so you can refer to the number if you need to.)

Raluca thanked Eliza-Page Interiors, llc
  • markandmegan
    3 years ago

Yay for no "model home grays"! Take the time to get a good fold-out pamphlet of all the whites in your brand choice and note the undertones. Whites and light colors and have so many variables. Your stone fireplace has a lot of pink in it. The wrong under tone could make that pink more noticeable or really clash. BM "Muslin" for instance. It appears very light and neutral but has a pink undertone and looks kinda "peachy" in my office in morning / evening. It might take a couple of swatches to get a feel for what works in the lighting for those rooms. I did one color (BM Indian white) throughout upper level with vaulted ceiling and all the way down the stairs and throughout lower lever and I am very happy with how it turned out. Warm, sunny feel to rooms.

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone! i was looking at creamy white or winds breath but i will go ahead and buy some samples and try them out. How do I find out what undertones the paint colors have?

i like the teal chairs a lot! The fireplace is ok, but can change it. I love our furniture throughout, but I am open to any other suggestions please. do I need a lot of rugs? i have one for the couch... but was not sure about the teal seating area and the dining room. the dining room is adjacent to the play room where we have the colorful rug in the picture. I can get that same rug bigger for the dining table, but im afraid it’s too much color? We are alao changing the dining room light... see picture, please let me know your thoughts. I am not 100% on this.

color sample?

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

two other questions come to mind, do these tones of white have an obvious shade of color to them? I don’t want white walls... but I don’t want that tan/beije that every house has either :) i want a wow color that lights everything up, especially since the floors are dark.

is creamy white same as creamy from sw?

thank you!!!

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Select your rugs before settling on paint colors. Don’t rush a paint decision until you know your upholstered items and rugs or things may look ‘off’.

Raluca thanked thinkdesignlive
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I'm with @thinkdesignlive
    You need a "sounding board" to build off of. Starting with paint makes the process so much harder. Think of this, it's much harder to match a rug to a paint color but if you have a rug you love, paint selection is easier because you have infinite choices with paint. It's also important to protect your new beautiful floors with rugs. Also, they help absorb sound and kids make lots of noise! 😁
    The rug you have in the kids playroom actually help clarify a lot about your style, so thank you!
    But I think you could get more creative with the dining room rug rather than repeating the same one. What would be your investment range for your dining room rug? Also, do you know the dimensions of your dining room as well as the size of the table and chairs?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I love the green on the one wall I find grayed/ greens very neutral and work very well with wood. IMO they are more neutral than either gray or beige. Healing Aloe BM is nice choice

• Blueberry Abode
    3 years ago

Does your house get a lot of natural sunlight? Do you get a lot of cloudy rainy days or more sunlight/natural light in your part of the country? Could make a difference on whether you want to go with a warmer white or a cooler white.

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

we are surrounded by tall trees and do not get a lot of sunlight. We live in Michigan and have 6 months of winter for reference.

$300-400 for a rug as I need 2...

here is a picture of the dining room, we kept this table everything else behind is gone

Unfortunately everything is stored away and can’t measure the table, but it’s standard size, we extend it when we have guests

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Eliza-Page Interiors, llc

how about something like this ivory/sage for the teal seating area? Thank you!

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/howton-ivorysage-area-rug-lfmf4451.html?piid=

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone, i tried creamy, indian white and shell white... they are too white for me... indian white has a yellow tone to it which I do not like. Any other paint suggestions? Neutral with a bit more color, I can’t do white walls... thank you

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You have a lot of beige/brown already between your carpet, fireplace, and floors. A warm white may look too white to you next to the color you currently have on the walls, but would work beautifully with your dark furnishings and other finishes. You can add color in drapes, rugs, and artwork. Greens would work well. You might also consider a white with a hint of green. The best way to check the color is to paint a sample in the middle of a large white poster board, which will help you see the actual color, without being skewed by what you currently have. You can also move it around to see how the color changes in different lighting. Try BM Pale Oak, SW Shoji White, or BM Elmira White. None of those will look yellow, but they all have warmth and are not "white".

Raluca thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    3 years ago

See if this helps with visualizing the space a little better. The paint color shown on the left is SW Shoji White, the color on the left is BM Elmira White, both great potentials. These are meant to only be color "concepts". The paint color translation through screens will not be exact. If you like the rugs, let me know, I can share more info. on them! (They are both within budget for you) :-)

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

these are great, i love them.

is the color ok the wall a bit darker than the previously mentioned whites? Thanks

• PRO
    3 years ago

they are a little more saturated in color than the others we mentioned, yes. Do you know what the name of the current color is?

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I responded earlier bur I don’t see the post anymore. We’ve been back in the house for a day now since the floors were installed and looking at the walls, I really like the green neutral we have in the play room. We have this in our master bedroom and I love it, goes well with browns. I think we will do this color in sitting area, dining room and play room, they are all connected. Then paint the living room with the darker stone fireplace on Soft Linen. I will post some pics of the rooms and how the teal chairs look with the green wall color. I think this green goes well with the rugs you showed me as well. Thank you very much!!!

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• calidesign
    3 years ago

The green is a nice color. That beige is described as a "beige with peach undertones", which may or may not work. Be sure to try a sample in the rooms where you're planning to use it. Your bedroom has carpet, white trim, and maybe more windows, while the other rooms have wood floors and stained trim. Paint the samples down near the baseboards.

Raluca thanked calidesign
  • Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign thank you! Do you suggest another color that compliments the green in the living room? some similar to the “Soft Linen”.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I like the cooler direction for walls with the teal chairs too! People have been saying they write something then it doesn't post, so that appears to be a glitch going on with Houzz. As @calidesign mentioned, the soft linen may have peach undertones which would come through strong in darker areas of the room so check it out in the darkest and lightest areas.

I recall you mentioned you weren't a fan of yellow undertones for the walls, and you don't want it to read white. I don't have a BM deck with me, so looking at SW you might like Canvas Tan

SW 7531. It seems to have a similar level of saturation as your soft linen and has a cool base.

@calidesign may have a good option from Ben Moore?

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Eliza-Page Interiors, llc thank you!!! Do you have links for those rugs? I would like to order soon! Thanks!!!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Maybe BM Elmira White with the green. You really have to try things out in your own lighting. Subtle differences are hard to tell over photos.

• PRO
    3 years ago

@Raluca Could you send me a PM? Thanks!

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone!! We are finally done. I went with SW Accessible Beige and Magnolia Home Stoneware Pieces. I love how it turned out! Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!!

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More pics...

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pics

• PRO
    3 years ago

the colors look great!!! I'm so happy to see it coming together for you! 😁

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Found a beautiful rug at Home Goods... please let let me know your thoughts!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Sorry, but I think the new rug is not right for your space. A larger size would look better in your space. Also, the cool gray doesn't work with anything else in the room. If you want to go light, look for rugs with a cream background. You need a rug with warmth, similar to your dining room rug.

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign thanks! I just saw this! Wouldn’t a bigger rug look weird if it’s bigger and showing a bit behind the sectional? Asking pro’s since I have no clue! Thanks!

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign got it, will do! I am changing up the rug... how is this?

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Raluca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign did we position it right? Thanks!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think the colors are better. The rug can still be larger, but the placement is good if you're keeping this one.