SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddjonas

Is this burn / leaf scorch from insecticidal soap?

juddjonas
3 years ago

Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me identify an issue that I’m having with my tomatoes and eggplant. I believe it to be phytotoxicity from insecticidal soap but I’m not certain. I’ve never experienced this before.

I’m in zone 5b and garden exclusively in containers. For some reason I’ve been having an issue with aphids on my tomatoes and eggplant this year. I started just picking them off and killing them by hand but I couldn’t keep up. I tried spraying them with a stream of water but I didn’t find it to be all that effective and some of my tomatoes and eggplant seedlings are still rather small. I didn’t want to spray them with a powerful stream of water. I’ve read good things about the effectiveness of insecticidal soap and someone at our agricultural store (Agway) recommended it. I mixed 1 tbl of Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, 1 tsp of neem oil & 32oz of water. I sprayed this solution on my eggplant and tomatoes in the evening, around 6pm. Today (6/4/20) it was sunny and high around 89 F. I just went out to check for more aphids and it seemed to work well. I only saw a few stragglers. But I noticed that there’s brown edges and tips on all the plants I sprayed and some dark spotting in the backside of the foliage.

Is it possible that the soapy residue caused this

damage while the plants baked in the sun today?

If so, will the plants bounce back from this? Is there anything that I can do?

Thank you for your time and comments.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH