SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Planting Roses and Camellias in a Bottomless Planter

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I want to create a raised bed garden that will contain plants like roses and camellias. The climbing roses I am selecting have roots down to 24", so that raises a question of how high should I make a bottomless raised bed container for those roses?

If I make the raised bed 24 inches high, I can load the raised bed with soil and the entire root system will be in the container soil. That is likely to work, but that creates a demand for a lot of soil.

The alternative might be to make the raised bed about 12 inches high and then allow the plants to work their way out of the container soil and into the native California clay soil (which is not ideal for roses). This approach would save a lot of cost on the soil, but would it work for roses and camellias? I know we have had similar discussions before, and some people feel the plant will simply swirl its roots around in the container and never penetrate through to the clay soil. This might be plant-specific as well.

P.S., I will partition the raised bed according to the pH requirements of the plant. Camellias will be acidic soil around pH 4.5. Roses are somewhere closer to pH of 6.

Comments (20)