SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sd2102

James Galway for 6 ft fence

sd2102 (8b PNW)
3 years ago

I'm thinking of ordering James Galway to put in front of a fence next spring. I was planning train it on a trellis along a 6.5 ft wide x 6 ft tall fence.

The area gets good sunlight to part shade depending on which part of the fence you are looking at, so I am looking for a climber that will grow well in slightly less than ideal sun conditions. To get a sense of the light situation- I planted Princess Anne several feet off of that fence and it is doing great so far. But a couple of feet down the same fence, and the sun light conditions are definitely less ideal. The David Austin website recommended this plant for shadier areas so I thought it might work in this spot.

Does anyone have any experience growing James Galway in shadier conditions and if so how well has it done?

Also, would it eventually be too tall for this fence? I'm going to put up a trellis, but the fence is owned by my neighbors so I don't want it to get too overgrown. I don't mind doing some pruning to keep it maintained, but since the DA website says this can get up to 15 feet tall I'm wondering if I'm selecting the wrong climber for this spot. Or maybe since part of it will be in part shade it won't be as robust?

Also, how wide would a single plant get? Can I train it to cover most of the 6.5 feet wide of the fence or is that asking for too much? I'm new to growing roses so I'm trying to manage my expectations!

Thanks!

Comments (8)