SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattgrowsflowers

Ugh. Is this RRD?

mattgrowsflowers PA z6
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just found out about RRD yesterday from the recent thread on this forum. I'm so glad I read that. This rose has been looking a little "funny" (frilly leaves mostly) for a few weeks and just now I put two and two together.

Please tell me this isn't RRD?

I read some things from Penn State about RRD yesterday. On a walk that evening with my dogs, I identified what I believe to be the multiflora rose that carries the disease. I counted at least 15 bushes on the trail that meanders by a creek that runs through my town. I walk my dogs there at least every other day. This time of year, more days than not.

I feel stick to my stomach. This rose has been on my front porch in proximity to so many other roses I potted this spring: Munstead Wood, Charles Darwin, Emily Bronte, Grace, and Ambridge Rose. They could so easily all be infected. And these potted roses have been sitting on a ledge that has several climbers I have planted in the ground not far below. I mean, if this is RRD, then by now I feel like every single rose on my property could be infected. I've probably been spreading the mites around this whole time myself. Plus we have had several very windy days.

What is the earliest sign that I can look for to try and identify it in all my other roses?

Who do I contact about multiflora rose bushes everywhere? My local rose society, ag extension, my town borough?

I've already quarantined the affected rose in my garage. I will be disposing of it in the garbage soon.

I was so happy with my roses this morning. Boy, did I hit a hard 180. I appreciate the help...

Matt

Comments (7)