CPJ: At Least 125 Press Freedom Violations Over 3 Days of US Protests

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Statement on the treatment of journalists covering the protests.

Law enforcement knows that the media will be present at the protests, and they know that the media has the right to record and report the events that they are covering.

Attacks on journalists are the equivalent of a police officer disabling their body camera and/or dashboard camera -- no third-party record of what happened.

Committee to Protect Journalists

At least 125 press freedom violations reported over 3 days of U.S. protests

https://cpj.org/2020/06/at-least-125-press-freedom-violations-reported-over-3-days-of-us-protests

[Bold added]

Washington D.C., June 1, 2020– Local and state authorities in the U.S. must stop targeting journalists and media workers covering protests and ensure that the press is exempt from any curfew restrictions, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

“We are horrified by the continued use of harsh and sometimes violent actions of police against journalists doing their jobs. These are direct violations of press freedom, a fundamental Constitutional value of the United States,” said CPJ Program Director Carlos Martinez de la Serna in New York. “We call on local and state officials to explicitly exempt the news media from curfew regulations so that journalists are able to report freely.”

Since May 29, at least 125 press freedom violations have been reported nationwide by journalists covering the demonstrations against the death of a black man, George Floyd, in Minneapolis police custody. The U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, a nonpartisan website of which CPJ is a founding partner, is investigating each report and will publish confirmed incidents to its database.

The violations under investigation, including 20 arrests, were collated from social media accounts, news reports, and direct contact with some of the journalists affected.

In one example, on May 29 in Las Vegas, Nevada, two photojournalists, Ellen Schmidt, who works for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, and freelancer Bridget Bennett were arrested while working and charged with the misdemeanor of “failure to disperse,” before being released the next day, according to the Reno Gazette Journal.

Police have hit dozens more journalists with tear gas, pepper spray, or rubber bullets—in several cases even as the journalists displayed their press credentials, according to the same sources.

A journalist for Minnesota Public Radio told CPJ she had a gun pointed at her head by police who refused to lower their weapons after she identified herself as a member of the press.

NBC photojournalist Ed Ou told CPJ that on May 30 he was in a group of photographers and video journalists standing apart from protesters in Minneapolis when police fired tear gas, pepper spray, and concussion grenades at them.

Some cities and states have imposed curfews in a bid to contain the demonstrations, some of which have turned violent. Not all of the curfew orders have explicitly exempted members of the press, although some officials, including in Minneapolis, have said that media are exempt after the initial announcement.

Journalists can consult CPJ’s safety advisory on how to minimize the risks of covering the protests.

Locally, a reporter with public radio station KPCC 89.3FM was struck on his throat by a rubber bullet while covering events in Long Beach last Saturday.

SaveComment12Like3
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Posting to follow

Save    
isabellagracepan

Yikes! This is terrifying. I just read about the rough treatment of the German camera crew and also the Australian one. Things are getting pretty out of hand. It is appalling to see the police treating peaceful protesters so roughly. Why is this allowed? American has always prided itself on being the "land of the free," but clearly the right to peaceful protest is not there right now. I hope you get a new leader who heals the divide in your country.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
jmm1837

I guess concepts like freedom of speech and freedom of the press aren't as integral to America as they once were.

bob_cville

I think many that call themselves "Americans" would be happy to discard the entire Constitution except for the 2nd Amendment. And they have already thrown out half of that.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

At least 2 of the arrests of journalists in Minneapolis were definitely not incidental/accidental. Not an excuse of obscure media outlet either. A WCCO (well known throughout the state) reporter was treated very roughly and arrested after identifying himself and his affiliation. His producer was threatened, too. I don't use that term casually. She was able grab the reporter's camera and get away, so the whole thing is on tape. I thought the uniform was state trooper, but I'm not certain.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Moxie, the video of the WCCO reporter's arrest is making the rounds on the internet.

Frightening to see the officer willfully disregarding the freedom of press.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

On another thread someone talked about the protesters yesterday in Lafayette Park throwing bricks, rocks etc at trumps police force so I went looking for video footage of it. But what I found was one of trumps enforcement thugs taking the side of his shield and jamming into the front of a photographer who was tucked around the corner of a fence taking pictures - not once but twice jamming his shield. The photographer was doing nothing.

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

WCCO 830 "Good Neighbor To The Northwest" is sacrosanct to Minnesotans.

1 Like Save     Thanked by nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
huachuma

"WCCO 830 "Good Neighbor To The Northwest" is sacrosanct to Minnesotans."

I remember my dad always listening to WCCO in his rusted-out Chevy truck in the early 70's. I especially recall one time when he was upset that the station played the tune, Up, Up and Away (in My Beautiful Balloon), by the Fifth Dimension,believing that it was too "hippyish" in nature... This was the same guy I caught dancing to the Kink's Long Tall Sally. His excuse for this particular transgression was that the song had a "good beat".

bragu_DSM 5
Save     Thanked by nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Correct behavior and respect for the rights of citizens comes from the top down. Why should there be any surprise at how the situation has deteriorated over the last few years given who is "leading" this country right now?

Save     Thanked by nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

after reading about international cameratemas being targeted,

I just websearched for just "German camera team",

found lots of hits (pun intended) about journalists being attacked by police

and this heart breaking bit about a photographer,

Linda Tirado

who got hit in the face with a tracer (? had to look it up, who invents such sh*t)

and lost one eye

sooo, who is the sh*thole country now,

looks like you folks are sliding towards the Fourth R*e*i*c*h of Trumpistan pretty quickly,

who can save you now, just really want to know, cause, it is not police or military, is it.

and when reading through different personal stories by media people, there seems to be a pattern to target filming journalists,

...nothing to see here, so, I just shoot you with some "low damage"-sh*t ammunition

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Moving Why So Many New U.S. Homes Are Supersized
A bigger share of new homes sold in 2015 were 4,000 square feet or more compared with before the recession. But that could change
Full Story
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Home Tech The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story