Woot!! Portugal reopened for tourists

HamiltonGardener

Like most of Europe, Portugal has reopened, but not just to EU countries. Canada and USA as well.

No quarantine period.

We can probably juggle our UK travel plans to Portugal travel plans instead... get out and travelling as soon as possible.

Shame to miss out on this UK trip, we had an awesome trip on deck, but that’s ok. Maybe we can try again another year.

Time to start travelling again for anyone else?

SaveComment56Like
Comments (56)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Nope, I need to get down to Florida, but I'm waiting.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Umm but what happens when you get home? will you have to quarantine then?

Save    
Nana H

Nope , not for me. We had to cancel two great trips, five weeks in England and a great river cruise from Milan to Amsterdam. I'm actually not as worried about the virus as I am about the crap that will be involved with world travel....masks. quarantines. restrictions on tourism sites, beaches, shopping and dining......nope. Not traveling again until I can do it without the hassle and the worry.....mostly the hassle. Not my idea of a great time..but to each their own.

Save    
jmm1837

Well, we're going to be sticking to travel in Australia or maybe NZ. Even if they open our borders, there'll be a mandatory quarantine when we get back.

1 Like Save    
Save    
ubro(2a)

I guess I would also worry about the 'second wave', if it hit while out of the country what then, could or should I count on the govt. to get me home? Or would they tell me I am on my own.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

There is also the question of out of country health insurance coverage......I'm thinking the premiums will be through the roof.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Not to mention air line caveats on your responsibility to get yourself home should countries once again close their boarders.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Quarantine coming back into Canada, but not a problem. I can work from home for 14 days.

That may be lifted soon anyway. I’m reading that Air Canada and Air Transat will have flights going out starting July 1.

If something happens when we are gone, that’s ok. We will find our own way home. Not going to count on the government to rescue us. Much more of an adventure that way anyway. Always up for an adventure.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I think Portugal is asking for trouble, no quarantine for visitors from countries that do not have Covid under control is a foolish move.

7 Likes Save    
roxsol

Have a great holiday, HG!

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

Didn't the insurance companies stop providing coverage for Covid? If that's correct, I wouldn't go abroad just yet, myself.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Thanks Rox!!

My first choice for this year was actually another trip on The Canadian to Jasper, spend a week there, then home.

We were disappointed to find out The Canadian is cancelled until November.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

HG, we had plans to go to Portugal this year but before we book, it will have to be very clear on what will be expected on board the airplane. Wearing a mask is a definite no go for me :(

I have a phobia about things over my mouth or nose. I won’t even wear a dam at the dentist’s office.

I only fly in premium plus or first class seats and have to have all the air nozzles directed at me, as well. I need a lot of room around me, too.

We do an annual thing to Cancun, in the winter, but the kibosh might be on that as well this year. It’s not the destination that concerns me but the getting there.

Anyway, you’re lucky as you are a good three hours closer to Europe than I am.

I hope it works out for you. Safe travels!

1 Like Save    
Nana H

DH is itching to do a road trip...we do one very June to escape the dreaded black flies. However, I just can't get my head around the logistics of accommodation and restaurants. As I say , not so much worried about the virus as I am about the hassle....masks, wiping, washing, distancing....nope not this year

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Nyuk, no rolling of the dice for us, unless it Yahtzee or Risk....... but no unnecessary "risks".

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Yes HG. We're still planning a fall trip to Europe if the various countries open up. Fingers crossed they do because I'd really like to go and it's still months out so I'm hopeful. Hearing about Portugal is great news.

Save    
Ann

Little steps here, but steps. Restaurants are open now and I went out to lunch today!!!! We ate outdoors and it was so nice to enjoy lunch out and hear my grandchildren chat like normal. So nice! I've heard swimming pools will open very soon and I like to swim in the summer so I'm looking forward to that.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I would not get on a plane anytime soon—-worst place to be imo——people on top of each other in a very enclosed environment with poor ventilation. Perfect recipe for virus spread. My last flying vacation was totally ruined by some jerk sitting behind us who sneezed several times without covering his mouth or nose.

Hopefully, our first road trip will be to see the kids/grands but not until we can really be together—-able to hug and interact normally. Depending on how things are after Labor Day I might consider a few days at the beach a few hours away; however since things started opening up, cases continue to go up in our area. I am not hopeful.

Save    
Sue 430

I can’t wait to travel again, but won’t until things settle down. Probably not an overseas trip until spring as we have a right in the middle of fall wedding. We traveled to Spain and Portugal in sept and oct. Don’t know if you have been to Portugal, but I loved it. Went to algarve and Lisbon.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Rox,

TAP Portugal is recommending but not requiring facemasks. It looks like Air Canada requires them, but I’m not sure if that is just domestic flights or domestic and international.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ann,

I hope you get your big European trip. It seems each country has different levels of “open” but things are moving really fast now. Within a couple months, it should look pretty good.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Joanie,

Everyone has their own comfort zone. Certainly you should wait until you are comfortable in a plane. But hopefully you will find the beach more to your liking.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Sue,

We haven’t done the Algarve yet, but Lisbon and Porto have been our last two trips. Porto was wonderful, but I really enjoyed Lisbon.

However, if you do go to Porto, take a day trip down to a place called Aveiro. It was a wonderful little town, take one of the boats.

3 Likes Save    
Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

Much as I miss France, no way. High risk factors, so I won't get on a plane.

1 Like Save    
huachuma

I live in Central California, so there are plenty of uncrowded places to visit for a "day-trip kind of vacation". The mountains, the ocean, vernal and tidal pools, white-water rafting rivers, caves, etc. are all within a 2-6 hour drive from where I live. Since there are so many public lands in the West, I can easily choose a location where it would be possible to hike for half a day without seeing another human being (I'm not talking about Yosemite, but other locations that are nearly as spectacular if less known).

I doubt that we'll be staying in any motels, or flying for the foreseeable future...

6 Likes Save    
Gooster(9)

There are a lot of places to see within reach of me by car in NorCal. My sister up on an island in Washington and all the places throughout the west, including some National Parks I haven't visited.

DH was broaching the topic today, suggest a trip to our place in France before the Fall. Housing or getting trapped would not be an issue, and an extended work medical policy covers personal travel as well. We have been going about 3 to 4 times a year, and none thus far, obviously,

3 Likes Save    
heri_cles

There might be a Travel forum that might suit the OP more than Hot Topics. Perhaps something on Houzz but I am not sure. Good luck in all your travels.

Meanwhile there are a lot of hot topics about serious issues in the US and around the world right now.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Reading this thread is making me hot to trot around the globe.

Therefore, it's a Hot Topic.

5 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Well, since the closing of countries was a Hot Topic, the reopening is also a Hot Topic. But as history bears out, the objection is less about the topic and more about the poster.

In the meantime, I think it’s great news to watch the reopening in Europe.

Keep in mind that they were hit a few weeks earlier than North America so our timeline should be just a couple weeks behind.

Although the recent protests in North America seems to have pushed that timeline forward.

3 Likes Save    
barncatz

I also think it's a HT but we can't know yet what impact the protests will have on our health picture, can we?

4 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

We won’t know yet, or whether it will slow the reopening .

As mentioned before, many of the protesters are young and healthy. It may be that a lot of them, even if infected, will be asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms. If that’s the case, there may be no impact on the reopening schedule.

However, if it does cause an increase in serious cases or deaths, politicians may delay reopenings or even start closing things up again.

We will have to wait and see, but I’m guessing there will be no change to the reopening in North America.

Save    
maifleur03

Having to miss Chelsea this year after years of waiting anything that suggests that travel may return to me is a HT. Do I think the virus will be contained I think it will depend on how many of the people who have not been distancing in the past few weeks develop it.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I would hope that a violent outbreak would change the opening of Canada, the rest of North America can do as it sees fit, with their own situation.

Save    
barncatz

malfleur, what a disapointment that must be. DD keeps sending me memes of various horses throwing their riders in ungainly ways, with 2020 superimposed over them.

BTW, I just saw a photo of a huge George Floyd protest in Paris yesterday.

Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

We are also staying in California this summer, and there are plenty of places driving distance from us that we can go to. I'm considering going to Yosemite, and I'm thinking that perhaps there would be smaller crowds there this year. I've been to Sequoia and King's Canyon but not Yosemite, partly because of the crowds. We could also easily drive to the Grand Canyon. I won't be getting on a plane this year, even though we had originally planned to go to Greece. That can wait for another year.

I haven't learned enough Portuguese yet to go to Portugal. I don't speak Greek either - I only know the alphabet, but I think I could get by there with English.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

But as history bears out, the objection is less about the topic and more about the poster.

It is about what the poster is posting - personal interests, personal investments, etc. In the old Garden Web Hot Topics, there used to be a section for posting about matters of personal interest. Perhaps they should have one here.

If you are thinking I have something against you personally, you are wrong. You may be confusing my disagreement with how you have continually promoted "herd immunity" and what you have stated on those posts. Good luck in your travels, your real estate and stock investments and your retirement planning.

Save    
elvis

HamiltonGardener

Well, since the closing of countries was a Hot Topic, the reopening is also a Hot Topic. But as history bears out, the objection is less about the topic and more about the poster.

Amen, sistah!

Mai, I am sorry about your disappointment.

2 Likes Save    
deegw

elvis

Nope, I need to get down to Florida, but I'm waiting.

elvis

Reading this thread is making me hot to trot around the globe.

Therefore, it's a Hot Topic.

-------------

Are you waiting to travel or hot to trot (aka ready, willing and eager) to travel?

Save    
Ann

HG, I know you and I have very different views about Trump but, besides that, when reading your comments, I often wish you were a neighbor or friend I could go out to lunch with and share interesting and lively conversations.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ann,

I have friends on both sides of the political spectrum.

Mind you, a Conservative in Canada is not the same as a Conservative in the USA. Most Conservatives here would be considered liberals in the USA.

Maybe one day, when travel is normal again, we can get together for a day.

I’d also love to meet Nana. I know you and Nana often clash on this board, which is too bad, but I think Nana’s a sister-in-arms to me.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

We never stopped traveling here. We've been to the lake cabin 5 times since March but it is just a 2 hour drive. With the hot weather we have now the lake should finally warm up. The water was just 68F last time down.

I haven't been on an airplane in 14 years and don't have any plans to do so in the future. I saw as much of the world as I have an interest in seeing in my younger days.

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Awwww heri... after all these years and you still follow me around just like the old days...

Woot! It's all about you HG!

-----------------

"Baby, look at me and tell me what do you see?
You ain't seen the best of me yet
Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest
I've got more in me, and you can set it free
I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am?
Remember my name
(Fame) I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly (High)
I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
(Fame) I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
(Fame) I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name
(Remember, remember, remember, remember)
(Remember, remember, remember, remember)"

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Interestingly, Portugal has NOT opened its borders to Spain.

I realize its neighbour was hard hit, but still surprised it has decided to stay closed to Spain.

Save    
elvis

heri_cles

Awwww heri... after all these years and you still follow me around just like the old days...

Woot! It's all about you HG!

Where'd HG post that? I would've given it a like.

HG, that is interesting. What's up with that? Maybe they just don't want the drive-thru traffic?

Save    
heri_cles

Maybe you have a new buddy on your team Elvis !

Save    
Ann

I saw it and gave it a like, Elvis. It's gone now:)

Save    
steve2416

I was going to Carnival with my son this Winter but Brazil probably won't get better enough to suit his wife so I'm going to start pricing flights to the South East. Haven't been to Viet Nam since the late 60's and I'm told Cambodia and Laos are really great hosts also. Only issue is the flight over and back, my backpack is sitting patiently in the corner

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

I can still see it. Is that what happens when a post gets reported? The poster can see it but nobody else can?

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Steve,

Its always so nice seeing your adventures. You know how to REALLY adventure, backpack and a whim.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

I realize its neighbour was hard hit, but still surprised it has decided to stay closed to Spain.

This virus is not over for many countries. Spain is still up at #4 in Covid cases and has 580 death per 1M population, third after Belgium at 889, and the UK at 585, I am not surprised they are closed to Spain.

Close neighbours only means it is a quick trip so easier for many people to bring back the virus.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ubro,

In the past 7 days, Spain has recorded very few deaths. Canada has recorded hundreds. The USA has recorded tens of thousands.

Spain’s rising case numbers are because they are now testing for antibodies (past infections) and adding them to the total, unlike the USA and Canada.

Save    
deegw

HamiltonGardener

In the past 7 days, Spain has recorded very few deaths. Canada has recorded hundreds. The USA has recorded tens of thousands.

------------------

Tens of thousands of deaths in the US over the past seven days? Where did you get your info? The figures I see say less than 1,000 deaths per day over the past seven days.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-3-day-average

Save    
jmm1837

I think a lot of countries are going to consider very carefully when they open up, and to whom. So far as I know (and I could be out of date) the EU is really opening up within Schengen borders and possibly to immediate non-Schengen neighbors. Australia isn't going to open its borders any time soon to anyone but NZ and maybe Fiji. Vietnam is only opening up at the moment to cross border traffic with China, and while it is going to open up visa applications next month, there's no date on when it will actually issue visas. I doubt that North Americans will be first on the list for visas to any country that's worried about importing Covid cases. I think if I were back in Canada I'd be chilling my jets and planning domestic travel this year.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Save    
HamiltonGardener

Nancy,

Notice from that page you linked, what I said about they are now including antibody tests as well.

The USA and Canada are not even counting those past cases, so an incomplete count compared to Spain, and Spain is STILL lower than Canada and the USA even though Spain is adding them into their current count.

• 394 new cases and 1 new death in Spain. 'Total Cases' is the sum of total cases detected by PRC and antibodies tests. The discrepancies that may appear with respect to the total case data previously reported are the result of the validation of the same by the autonomous communities and the transition to the new surveillance strategy. This discrepancy could still persist for several days.

Save