SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicagotudorreno

Kitchen reno on 1910 tudor: layout assistance requested!

Hi, kitchen experts!

We're working with an architect on the design phase of a pretty extensive reno to our 1910 tudor, and looking to modernize the layout of our current three-part kitchen.

Current state includes butler's pantry (between office and kitchen), 'kitchen' that includes sink, dishwasher, range, and cabinets, and 'storage kitchen' (between 'kitchen' and 'dining') with fridge, pantry, and additional storage. Centrally located between these are the house's old servant stairs, affectionately known as the 'death trap' staircase. They are dark and steep and narrow and DH has fallen down them twice since we moved in last January. What is marked as 'family' on this floorplan is the original formal dining room, and we are using it as such:

Proposed future floorplan moves those stairs to the back of the house and brings them up to current code / safety standards. They traverse from basement to the 3rd floor, so shifting them has a number of repercussions for the rest of the floors, too! (Coming soon: posts in the renovation and old house channels about the rest of this project!). We will reclaim the current 'covered porch' and integrate it into the kitchen space, and not shown is the addition of a garage / portico / mudroom that the 'DN' stairs on the far left of these plans will be accessing. The exact nature of that exterior addition is very much in the hands of the Chicago zoning commission / our historical neighborhood's approval... we expect it will be a long process.

We have several goals with this reno:

- Modernize the kitchen (last redone in the 60s with the exception of appliance updates) and make the space both more functional and conducive to the social hub modern kitchens tend to be vs the original 'servants quarters' it was built as

- Incorporate as much space as possible that can flex through the different seasons of our lives. We are currently just a couple: 36 (me) / 38 (DH), expect to add kids to the family in the next couple of years (probably two), and may end up with one or both sets of our parents living with us at some point. To that end we are adding a full bath to the first floor so that the 'office' could become a bedroom if needed, we have space to add an elevator in the future (not ready to pull that trigger yet!), and are keeping spaces like the 'sunroom' pictured below as flexible as possible: I expect this room may incorporate soft seating in the shorter term, be a playroom at some point, turn into a homework / casual dining space after that, and maybe change back into a casual soft seating space again in the long term. Who knows?

- Stay true to the classic stylings and original features wherever possible, with the updated layout in the kitchen as the big exception

- Make choices for us, not for resale value; expecting to be here for the next 40 years

That's a lot of context! Bless you if you're still with me :) Kitchen-specific notes:

- We are often both working in the kitchen in some context, but usually with a pretty delineated role (someone serving as sous chef, other taking lead on actual cooking)

- We entertain a LOT, both casually and formally. Pre-pandemic that included weekly 'Sunday night suppers' with 6-12 guests over for dinner, and ~ monthly parties for 20-50. I expect those parties to get larger as we finish this house (our living room currently has just two armchairs in it... we're slow and steady with the decorating over here!).

- We plan to keep two existing appliances: 48" subzero commercial fridge and 48" double oven range. Appliances we'd like to add include: dishwasher, microwave, warming drawer (where 'DO' is currently listed... I don't think I can justify a wall oven in addition to the double oven in my range?) in the kitchen, and a glasses dishwasher and beverages fridge in the butler's pantry.

Questions for the experts:

- Blank space to the left of BP is an old-fashioned pantry: would love feedback on how to best use / organize this space

- I was planning to request a prep sink in the island, but am now curious about whether the flow would be better if we moved clean up sink / dishwasher to the island and prep sink to the outside wall. Either could adhere to the I/W/S/F Thoughts?

- We have 10' 3" ceilings in the kitchen. What considerations should we keep in mind if we add an additional row of short cabinets to the top of our uppers to take advantage of that? How do folks typically access those: hidden stepladder? I've seen library-style rolling ladders before that I love, but don't know how that would work practically: wouldn't you trip over it all the time?

- I'm nervous about 40" aisle between range and island: I assume it will be considered a universally good idea to shrink the island a little to pull that up to at least 42"?

We have very few true constraints: no desire to open the kitchen to the formal dining room, ability to add/raise/lower windows and reposition what is shown here. I'm excited for everyone's thoughts!

Comments (8)