Bishop of DC Episcopal Diocese denounces trump for his photo stunt

Olychick

Bishop Mariann E. Budde, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, of which St. John’s a part, said she was “outraged” that President Trump went to the church “after he threatened to basically rain down military force.” SCATHING CONDEMNATION OF TRUMP’S ST. JOHN’S PHOTO OP: “I am outraged,” says @Mebudde, the Episcopal bishop of DC, who oversees St. John’s Church. “I just can’t believe what my eyes have seen tonight.” pic.twitter.com/10pSIOVrb3
— Kenneth P. Vogel (@kenvogel) June 2, 2020

“The president used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without even asking us, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for,” she said.”

“It is appalling,” she said. “The Bible is not an instrument of white supremacy or American nationalism. It is a universal text for all human beings.”

“The president did not come to pray at St. Johns. He did not come to acknowledge the agony that our country is experiencing right now. He never mentioned the sacred worth of people of color in our nation who rightfully demand an end to hundreds of years of systemic racism and white supremacy.”

source:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/george-floyd-protests-today-06-01?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#washington-bishop-condemns-trump-visit-to-church

SaveComment65Like14
Comments (65)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

I seldom watch Anderson Cooper but just happened to turn to it when she came on and he interviewed her. To say that she was outraged at the audacity and disrespect to the church by trump is an understatement. - all for a photo-op.

And to have a clear walk he had the police clear the peaceful protesters with harsh means.

I think he probably saw Joe Biden out and about with protesters and decided to upstage him but it was an epic fail. Apparently he's also mad that people are saying he retreated to the WH bunker like a coward.

19 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Kathy

Bfenton, I think Bunker Trump got to him. You hit it on the head. Biden upstaged him so Trump pulls out his threats and brutal force. He thinks that makes him strong.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

That picture was mind boggling. When I saw it first on IG I thought it was fake. And to choose an Episcopal church for that stunt ... no one in Trump's orbit had a clue how that would land, really? Mind you I don't even think the fundamentalist Christians would welcome his mugging like that in front of their churches, especially in DC, but at least that is part of his base.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Kathy

The photo taken in front of the WH with the Pentagon and military is even worse. Threatening to use the military against Americans is the beginning of a military state.

Nana H

What Trump did was beyond words. There is no word that describes how totally outrageous and out of line that was. To use weaponize federal officers to dispel a crowd of protesters so he could have a photo op in front of a Church he does not attend , holding a bible he does not read is NOT what true leaders do. As usual, even in this Hell, it's all about him and how this reflects on him...well buster this one is all on you!

The Bishop was on TV this AM. She minced no words about how enraged she was at this PR stunt . Surely, even the most supportive of Trump must be disgusted with this,

ubro(2a)

The news here is not pulling any punches on this story. Trump did not get the coverage he was hoping for. Apparently, although I have not seen it, they did a slow motion video of him walking to the church looking all presidential and no protestors in site. I would assume it is for his campaign.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Nana H

Ubro, I hope he does use it as a campaign ad. Good to keep Americans reminded of his appalling behaviour.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Kathy

Watching the videos of that dispersal of tear gas on peaceful protestors, the police on horses and show of power forcing people to move for him will only ramp up a revolution in the US. Exactly what Trump is pushing for. He is pushing and pushing for violence.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
deegw

Biden's church visit.

Trump's church visit.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Kathy

Trump sure one upped Biden didn’t he? It brings Anti-Christ to mind.

deegw

Why on earth did he hold the bible like a WWE belt?

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Nana H

Apparently he is going to another church today. I agree , Biden is getting under his skin.

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Did Joe Biden teargas peaceful protestors before his church appearance?
No?

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Kathy

This shows strength in BunkerTrump’s mind.

I must add an apology and correct correct this—-Hitler had a black book but this was a photoshopped picture.

socks(10a)

This from a “man” who could not state his favorite Bible passage. Hypocrite personified. How can this country endure 6 more months of him???

sableincal

And he was holding the Bible upside down.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

He held it up as if it was selling a Trump steak.

dandyfopp

adoptedbyhounds

Katie Pavlich said it best:

I see there are many people, most in media, more upset about President
Trump walking to St. John’s Church and holding up a bible than they were
about the church being lit on fire by rioters last night.

blfenton

Both Bishop Mariann Edgar Buddle of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and a minister of the church have condemned his behaviour and his lack of respect for the church. I think their remarks are more pertinent than those of some FOX news contributor.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^ Amen

Surprised the Bible didn't burn his little vulgaranian hand.

mudhouse

adoptedbyhounds: I see there are many people, most in media, more upset about President Trump walking to St. John’s Church and holding up a bible than they were about the church being lit on fire by rioters last night.

Worth reposting.

ubro(2a)

Nope, they are upset at both, why does the right only have one thought at a time? Cannot juggle two opinions at once?

11 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Nana H

Somehow it seems that the words protester and rioter have become one and the same......they are not.

Protesters do so in peaceful ways with maybe some civil disobedience like sitting and refusing to move thrown in. Rioters and looters are criminals. They are not the same and they should not be thought of the same way nor treated the same way.

Mind you thoghtful people will ask .......we need to understand why they are so angry?

studio10001

Both Bishop Mariann Edgar Buddle of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and a minister of the church have condemned his behaviour and his lack of respect for the church.

Worth reposting.

deegw

Worth reposting. From another thread where a Trump fan tried to conflate rioting and protesting.

peaceful - free from disturbance, tranquil

protest - a public expression of objection, disapproval or dissent towards an idea or course of action

riot - violent public disturbance

looting - stealing during a war or riot.

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I am much more outraged by Donald Trump “taking the Lord’s name in vain” than I am by rioters burning a building.

I have made no secret here of the fact that I’m a Christian believer.

The building is a earthly construction with no eternal value. It is NOT more important than the Bible to the God I believe in, who calls the Bible God’s word spread through humans. And it is DEFINITELY NOT more important than George Floyd’s life, and shouldn’t be to anyone no matter their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

(I don’t want to have a public conversation about my specific personal beliefs but if anyone wants to message me I welcome them to do that.)

maddie260

Bunker Boy has now drawn swift condemnation from Archbishop Wilton Gregory for his photo op visit to the Roman Catholic shrine of John Paul II.

Joaniepoanie

I am not religious, but any time Trump is near a church, has his hands on a bible, or speaks as if he were Christian, it turns my stomach. It is fake and just for show to please Trumpers. He is the opposite of all that is good, decent, humane, and Christian.

Olychick

That picture of trump posing like hitler is chilling. Remember, his ex-wife (one of them) said that he kept a copy of mein kampf on his bedside.

4 Likes Save    
sjerin

Fan those flames, mr. trump. Divide, divide, divide.

blfenton

I was wondering why the bible that trump is holding didn't say Holy Bible on the front (now I haven;t seen thousands of bibles but the ones I have seen do say Holy Bible on the front) and so thanks to sableincal who pointed it out, it;s because he's holding it upside down s.

What an idiot.

Gizmo

It's been reported that Hope Hicks was behind Trumps 'walk of shame' for the photo-op stunt...and he's not happy with it being an epic failure.

Oh yeah, he also said no tear gas was used to clear the peaceful protestors.

#WALKOFSHAME

blfenton

So many missteps in this

As a PR move it may have backfired, after global and national media broadcast images of shield-bearing and mounted police using force to clear Lafayette Park, an area whose use as a forum for demonstrations and speech has long been protected.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8380455/Hope-Hicks-blamed-peaceful-protesters-teargassed-Donald-Trumps-bible-waving-show.html

1 Like Save     Thanked by Olychick
dandyfopp

Olychick

This is posted on another thread. The image is chilling to me; this should be widely circulated. Although many of his cult probably approve in the comparison.

eta: It's been reported by snopes that this is a photoshop of hitler holding the bible. It's still a chilling image - trump and his hero side by side.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Does trump not get or not care that there's a difference if one is invited to a church vs just showing up? Or is it he knows if he waits for an invite, it'll be a long time coming?

I mean he has advance people who could/should arrange these things, but then that would mean he'd actually have to talk to someone. This way he just waves a bible around (not his...a reporter asked and he said it was "a" bible) without having to fake any kind of empathy or compassion... (Hey is that your yacht there? Y'know sitting on top of your house that was just destroyed by the hurricane?)

Annie Deighnaugh

Kathy & Olychick, that image is extremely chilling. I asked on another thread who was he signaling to with that picture...who was his audience? I think that picture provides an answer.

Bunny

I have an Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV) and it doesn't say "Holy Bible" on the front. It's totally blank. But it's big and heavy and I doubt he'd be able to hold it aloft in his baby hands.

I have some that do and some that don’t.

Honestly I don’t know where the “upside down” idea comes from, what evidence is there that it’s inverted? The binding looks to be in the left and the ribbon comes out the bottom as is typical.

Save     Thanked by Olychick
sjerin

I've been wondering why on Earth he held up a bible. What was the reason given? I have not read of one.

Dog whistle

Penny

Did he autograph the Bible like he does all the time at his rallies?Maybe underlined 2 Corinthians ...lol

Penny

Pathetic is what that stunt was. He was making a TV ad for the cult. Reality TV at it’s worse.

foodonastump

The Hitler thing is a photoshop.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^ Yeah, Hitler burned books.....though trump isn't that far behind.

ohiomom

Reporter: Is that your bible?

President Tweety: It's a bible.

Annie Deighnaugh

As a meme I saw said, trump's deleting of web pages and scientific information from the CDC and other agencies is today's equivalent to burning books.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

If trump were smart (he isn't) he would have said it's The Bible. Thankfully he's not smart.

studio10001

He's smart enough to hang on to 43% of voters with tweets and photo ops. He doesn't need to be any smarter than that to create 4 more years of instability.

Kathy

FOAS I did read that was a photoshop too. Hitler and Trump may have some things in common but Hitler never held up the Bible as it was shown. I’m not removing the picture but you are right.

Penny

I’ll bet Captain Bonespurs was winded after that much exercise.

Olychick

I see that snopes says that hitler's photo holding the bible is fake. I wondered how the hands were so similar, lol. I'm going to edit it to say so.

1 Like Save    
ImWithJoe

turn on sound

Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

The Trumps also visited the St.John Paul II shrine, which is operated by the Knights of Columbus. According to an article in The National Catholic Reporter, Archbishop Wilton Gregory, "Catholic activists, nuns and local residents" and the executive director of the Franciscan Action Network were critical of the use of a Catholic shrine for a photo-op.

KarenS, NYC

Pls stop posting the above as it doesn't work, I've tried it from 2 different threads, otherwise my sound works fine. This message displays on my laptop over the image: 'player error'.

Annie Deighnaugh

trump has now lost Pat Robertson?!?

I think he's backfiring bigly with many religious leaders over his stunts.

KarenS, NYC

I heard a snip of it on the news, where Robertson said something like: Mr Trump, or Mr President (I forget which)

'you just don't do that'

Good for him for actually saying so out loud.

linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

in case you are not familiar with Sara cooper, a comedienne

I quite like her lipp-synching craft

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^ So the Bible is "so special" to trump that he doesn't want to even talk about it, how convenient for him.

studio10001

miss lindsey, may I quote you on another thread on this site? ' Taking the Lord's name post, specifically, in answer to this same question again.

Save    

Just saw this studio, feel free to quote me if you still want :)

1 Like Save    
Olychick

Now Kelly Ann is taking on the Bishop to defend trump!!!

White House adviser Kellyanne Conway on Tuesday lashed out at Bishop
Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington over
criticism of President Donald Trump’s photo op at St. John’s Episcopal
Church.

Buddle had issued a statement condemning the president’s actions after active duty military cleared the streets of protesters so that he could have his picture taken in front of the church.

“He took the symbols sacred to our tradition and stood in front of a
house of prayer in full expectation that would be a celebratory moment,”
she said.

During an appearance on Fox News, host Harris Faulkner noted that
Budde had been outraged at the way the church and the Bible were used as
props by Trump.

Conway, however, attempted to divert the conversation to actions
Trump has taken on behalf of the faith community. She noted that Trump
had “prayed for the soul” of George Floyd, who died at the hands of
police.

“That is the best answer to the question you asked about the
Episcopal minister,” she continued. “That is not — quote — her church.
That is not — quote — her Bible. We don’t look into other people’s
hearts and souls and discern and judge what their faith is, why the
president felt compelled to walk there, why he held that Bible up.”

“That is a symbol to everyone that we will not allow arsonists and
anarchists who set that fire ablaze, who really demean the memory of
those who have lost their lives in the name of their respective faiths
and religions,” Conway said. “We won’t allow them to dissuade us from
practicing our religion.”

Watch the video below from Fox News.

conway on faux "news"

Save    

Government forces defied the Constitution by forcibly removing people who were practicing their religion: feeding and tending to the injured and those without means to care for themselves.

They did so at the behest of the President so he could have a photo op about how strong he is.

Are Fox viewers actually that gullible?

Save    
Modfountains are museum quality minimalist sculpture with the element of flowing water; suitable for exterior or... Read More
Grayson De Vere is a fresh new luxury design firm dedicated to providing high end interior design, property... Read More