Speaking of cobbler

glenda_al

What's your favorite cobbler?

Blackberry cobbler for me

SaveComment38Like
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sephia_wa

Marionberry - warmed, with French vanilla ice cream!

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Peach, peach with berries, or mixed berries, but I pretty much love most cobblers. Topped with vanilla bean ice cream.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Black berry cobbler without any ice cream please.

Save    
cooper8828

Peach is hands down my favorite, but there really is no such thing as a bad cobbler.

Save    
glenda_al

I prefer whipping cream on mine

Mother used to make the most delicious strawberry cobbler

My least favorite is apple cobbler

Save    
maifleur03

To go with this topic because it is a regional thing do you prefer a crust topping or some other type. Not really a crumb topping but one of the tastiest was made of ground nuts, pecans and another type, dark brown sugar, was told flour and bourbon enough to hold it together on top of both apples and canned peaches. Butter was layered on top of the fruit. Today people would use regular peaches but in the 1950-1960s people used canned fruit and veggies more than they do today.

Another difference do you want a top and bottom crust or only a top one? Makes me want some.

Save    
glenda_al

Two crusted cobbler for me!

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

Peach.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I haven't had it often, maybe a handful of times. I'm not sure how popular it is in my area.

I've had peach a few times - I didn't really like it, peach is not one of my favorite fruits. I'm also not that fond of berries. I'll eat either but don't look for opportunities to do so.

So I'll say apple, I recall I liked one I had once with a crumb top that was similar to dutch apple pie. But I can take it or leave it.

I like clafoutis better. Traditionally made with cherries but plums work well too.

Save    
nickel_kg

Apricot. Sweet top crust only. Warm from the oven. But my next favorites would be peach or blackberry. Or whatever kind is on offer from a good cook!

Save    
jkayd_il5

I'm not much of a cobbler person. But if I had a choice it would be peach.

Save    
nicole___

I usually make Peach, buuuuuuuuuuut.....Safeway has blackberries .50cents for 6oz on sale this weekend.....FYI everyone.

Save    
wanda_va

Definitely blackberry cobbler!

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Peach

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Peach.

Save    
Annegriet

Peach or Blackberry. I can't choose. It's just too gosh darn difficult! I am a huge cobbler fan. Great question!

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Blackberry or peach, if it's made with the right kind of peaches (I don't like canned cling peaches).

And to me, if it's '2 crusted', with pie pastry type crust, it's not cobbler, it's pie. Cobbler has a top crust only, usually more of a biscuit or almost cake-like type crust.

So I've always been just a bit confused as to exactly what a true cobbler is, the definition seems to vary widely by recipe and location.

Rusty

Save    
lisa_fla

Peach or rhubarb.

Save    
roy4me

I recently made a very tasty apricot cobbler

Fruit in the bottom and a sweet cake like on the top.

2 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Black Raspberry and then peach. I like the crust top and bottom.

Sue

Save    
Alisande

I used to make blueberry cobbler and also peach, as we grew both of these fruits. They were delicious. I don't eat sweets anymore, but I asked my daughter-in-law for her recipe for strawberry-rhubarb cobbler yesterday. I'll make it for guests sometime in the future. We grow both of these fruits too.

Save    
Martha Scott

Sunday, I made a blackberry basil cobbler for dessert

Last night I made a chicken cobbler with some of Sunday's leftover roast chicken

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Elmer, if you have one of those small plum trees around you, the kind that are more like large cherries than plums, those make the best clafoutis.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Peach or cherry.

I make mine like my mother did, just spoonfuls of gooey pastry dough (in other words, not rolled out like a crust) dolloped on top before being put into the oven.

Save    
glenda_al

Martha Scott Now that's what I call tried and true cobbler crust!

How many layers of crust? I love a middle!

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Interesting other than refrigerator pies I have never seen one with a middle crust. If regular pie dough I would think it would become gummy as it baked. However if you used a American biscuit type dough it would become like a raised dumpling.

Save    
glenda_al

Also a middle, and it does not get crusty. There is the 3 crust cobbler as well, but takes a lot longer to prepare. Must be our Southern thing. All restaurants in my area have the two crust. Yummy!

double crusted cobbler

No biscuit dough cobbler for me!

If you did not grow up in the South with multi crust cobbler you missed it :o)

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I love cobbler of any kind and make it often. I dislike most piecrusts so I prefer cobbler to pies :-) When the wild blackberries are in season, that would be my first choice. But peaches rank high as well - plain peach or peach with blueberries or raspberries. And I prefer mine with whipped cream rather than ice cream.

Apparently having a bottom crust is a Southern thing. Soggy batter or pastry is not my cup of tea so not a technique I would follow.

Apples or rhubarb I prefer to have fixed as a crisp, so no pastry or dumplings as a topping.

Save    
chloebud

To me there's also something appealing about the "rusticness" of cobblers, crisps, buckles, etc. I also put crostatas/galettes in that same category...and fun to make.

Save    
Martha Scott

Glenda -- both of mine are top crust only.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

My sister-in-law's mother in Kentucky always made the double crust cobbler. It was so, so good. I had never seen a recipe for it until Glenda posted the link above. And the directions for baking it are exactly like the woman in Kentucky always made hers. I was fascinated the first time I was with her and she made her cobbler. My mom always used a top crust only. I absolutely love the double crust method.

Oh, and blackberry is my favorite. My grandmother used to maker blackberry cobbler and served it with fresh, thick cream. I made myself sick eating so much of it one time when I was about 8 years old. And the blackberries she used were ones she had canned herself. She was an excellent cook.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

So, rather than edit my post, I will add that I only prefer fresh fruit cobblers, never canned fruit. And I make then like my mother did. She would put one small crust on top, cook until the top was brown and crusty and then cut it into the filling and place another crust on top and let it bake. So essentially a 2-crust cobbler with crust in the cobbler and on top too without any crust being undercooked or gooey. None of us liked gooey pie crust.

Save    
Rusty

I've never heard of the two crust cobbler, with crust in the middle. When Glenda said two crust, I thought she meant crust on top and on the bottom, which is why I thought that would be a pie.

Hmmmmmmm. . . . . . Something new to try next fall, when (if) the weather cools off.

Rusty

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Elmer, if you have one of those small plum trees around you, the kind that are more like large cherries than plums, those make the best clafoutis."

Alas, no. We used to have a few plum trees but they lasted about 15 years and weren't replaced. We're picky about fruit for clafoutis, buying small amounts of what's in the stores (in the olden days) and going back for more when we find a batch of cherries, plums, or pluots suitably firm and sweet.

Save    
stacey_mb

Martha Scott - your photos are drool-worthy. I would love to come to your house for dinner!

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Most of the two crust cobblers I have had the bottom crust was cooked, cooled slightly, then the filling and top crust added. I did not make them so not certain how long the bottom crust was cooked the first time. Some makers do something that I consider cheating and that is to make the filling as a pudding, fruit, cornstarch or flour, sugar, and fruit cooked until starting to thicken then pour into the baked bottom crust and add the top crust.

Save    
woodrose

Blackberry and peach are my favorites. I would love to have a cherry cobbler made with sour cherries. Cherry pie filling is just too sweet for me.

Save    
Martha Scott

Stacey -- if you're ever going to be in SE Kansas, I would LOVE to have you for dinner!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 7 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story
Small Homes Houzz Tour: Rolling With Simplicity in a Tiny House on Wheels
Just 240 square feet, this California home encourages efficient living — but there’s still room for yoga
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More
Fisher’s offers a variety of beautiful gazebos and pergolas in wood or vinyl, with many options and additions... Read More