Obama has laid out a plan of action.

Kathy

https://medium.com/@BarackObama/how-to-make-this-moment-the-turning-point-for-real-change-9fa209806067

We work to help leaders change their world—and the world needs changing. The killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the loss of far too many Black lives to list, have left our nation anguished and outraged. While now is a time for grief and anger, it is also a time for resolve. Find resources below to learn what you can do to create a more just and equitable world.

Over 1,000 people are killed by police every year in America, and Black people are three times more likely to be killed than White people. We can take steps and make reforms to combat police violence and systemic racism within law enforcement.

President Obama pushed many of these reforms during his time in office, and started the My Brother’s Keeper initiative in the wake of Trayvon Martin’s death to break down barriers and expand opportunity for boys and young men of color. But far more progress remains to be made. We’re inspired by those protesting for accountability and change, even in the face of a pandemic. If you’re looking for additional ways to advocate for change, below you’ll find resources to learn about police violence, actions you can take to encourage reform, and organizations you can support. And be sure to read the statements from President Obama and Mrs. Obama on the killing of George Floyd, and learn more about the work of the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance.

SaveComment41Like7
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

Here's the same article on CBS.

This is the kind of leadership we need at this time.

4 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Remember how many black lives were terminated early in Chicago, under his watch? I recall the number exceeding all lives terminated in the Afghanistan war.

Save    
Kathy

Change has to be made community by community. It won’t happen overnight but racism in LE has to be addressed before change can start to happen otherwise it’s all for naught.

i have been wondering about the supposedly counterfeit $20 bill George Floyd was accused of using at the store. What if he got it from someone else? I probably wouldn’t even know myself if one was counterfeit.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Obama had his eight years to do good.

He is part of the cause of this racial divide.

He needs to sip wine in Martha's Vineyard and mind his own business.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Funny how all of a sudden Obama is weighing in on everything, lol. What a tool! He had 8 loooong years to lay out a plan. He did nothing but divide and sell out America.

6 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Bizarro world is weighing in again!
😆😆😆

9 Likes Save    
Iris GW

He is part of the cause of this racial divide.

Because old white people were ticked off that a black man was president ...

16 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“What about Obama?”

“What did Obama do?”

“The previous administration left us with bare cupboards.”

“Why is Obama weighing in?”

good grief make up your minds

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump is the great unifier. 100,000 dead and the RWR rioting and looting. I guess they think that makes America great, NOT!

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Obama is still working for the betterment of our country. It’s a shame he was so handicapped by McConnell and the GOP during his terms.

President Obama launched My Brother’s Keeper in February 2014 to address persistent opportunity gaps facing boys and young men of color and to ensure all youth can reach their full potential. In 2015 the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance (MBK Alliance) was launched, inspired by My Brother’s Keeper, to scale and sustain this mission. In late 2017, MBK Alliance became an initiative of the Obama Foundation. Within the Obama Foundation, MBK Alliance focuses on building safe and supportive communities for boys and young men of color where they feel valued and have clear pathways to opportunity.

6 Likes Save    

Coincidentally, I just came across this - from The Shovel:

"Americans are not sure they can handle all of the winning that has occurred since Donald Trump became President, it has emerged.

From the moment Donald Trump became President in 2016 Americans have been subjected to an unyielding stream of winning which is starting to get monotonous.

“I’ve lost my job, the economy is in freefall, there’s a virus that’s totally out of control, I can’t afford healthcare, cities are under siege, the police system is broken – it’s just win, win, win, win, day after day after day. It’s relentless,” one supporter said.

He said Trump had been true to his word. “Trump did say, before he became President, that if we elected him we’d get sick of all the winning. Well I’m definitely sick. My mother’s sick too. So is my brother.

“I love all the winning but can we tone it down a little bit maybe? I’m not sure how much more I can take”.

Trump said America was winning more than any other country in the world right now. “There’s been a huge outbreak of winning. It really is tremendous,” he said."

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2020/06/01/americans-starting-to-get-tired-of-all-this-winning/

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

Mind his own business?????

I think this is very much his business. Obama is a private citizen, free to speak on any topic or any subject anytime he wishes. When he speaks, people listen. Are you concerned he'll show up Trump?

Iris nailed it with her comment above, Any division caused by Obama's election came about because there were certain people none too pleased that a black man won the presidency.

10 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Obama could never resist thinking of himself as Savior.

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

We could use a savior right now. Trump has checked out.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Any division caused by Obama's election came about because there were certain people none too pleased that a black man won the presidency.

That is what is in the minds of liberals. There will always be some people who are racist. The majority of the white population rooted Obama on. I sure hoped he would do well even though I did not vote for him. He just turned out to be lame. Sorry !

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Obama was careful not to favor black Americans During his tenure because he was so conscious of being President of all Americans. He is free now to work for whatever cause he wishes. And anyone who wants to criticize him needs to remember McConnell refused to work with him from day one. Look closer to home for the lameness.

11 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

They want Chamberlain appeasing Hitler. Instead they got Trump.

Thank God.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

President Obama divided the country because he was governing while black.

Need some proof -- birtherism is your answer.

10 Likes Save    

“They want Chamberlain appeasing Hitler. Instead they got Trump.”

1. Who is the Hitler in your analogy?

2. The US was the last western nation to enter WWII so be a little careful with your braggadocio.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

Maybe that is intended to mean, “Instead they got Chamberlain appeasing Trump”.

Ever noticed how dictators start out by removing everyone around them who opposes them?

8 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Trump had to deploy the military to one-up Obama. Big little man, there.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Obama must be so pleased to see his "plan of action" taking place.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Obama’s first major point is that the protesters resorting to violence are a small group; the vast majority are peaceful protesters coming out to demonstrate against severe and ongoing injustice:

Obama’s second core point that is that reform to the police and criminal justice system requires political engagement at the local level. Demonstrations are good, but they need to be followed up by electoral organizing and voting aimed at empowering reformers at the city and county level:

While Obama is specific about creating change at the local level, Trump is treating the protests as an opportunity to exploit widespread fear for his reelection campaign. Monday morning, he tweeted repeatedly about the presidential election on November 3 — including the allegation that “Sleepy Joe” Biden is in league with anarchist demonstrators who, he strangely claims, want to raise taxes:

Third and finally, Obama outlined the kinds of specific policy proposals that could concretely reduce police violence against African Americans — and provided links to lists of organizations working to enact these policies, for those Americans interested:

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Yes! Obama has laid out a plan of action--years ago.

Part of it was destroying the life of Gen. Michael Flynn, who could put a kink in his bigger plan.

It's all coming to fruition now on the streets.

But note, it's Democrat controlled streets.

They're doing nothing to stop it because, well it's Obama's plan.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

We're now well into 4 years of the magical maga world of trumpism and his defenders are still blaming Obama for it. so sad, but what else can they do?

5 Likes Save    
mudhouse

What's sad is Obama's need to keep reinserting himself in a desperate attempt to salvage what's left of his beloved legacy. Poor guy.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Or to convince people that there are real leaders out there ... unlike Trump.

2 Likes Save    

Or because as an American he possesses the innate right to express his opinion in whatever way he so chooses.

Don’t want to know what Obama thinks? Don’t read/listen to him. Easy.

As far as I can tell it’s not a re-insertion; when has he ever NOT been a part of these conversations?

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

We can stop the Obama hype. He's just Barry now.

1 Like Save    

“He’s a community organizer,” remember?

How is it surprising that he is trying to organize the community?

And he will always be called Mr. President. 😊

2 Likes Save    
Michele

The radical super religious right think of donnie as the tool that must be used. After all, God works in mysterious ways.

Obama did nothing??? Even with mitchie boy in his way, he managed to do enough to keep “the donald” busy for a couple of years undoing this and undoing that.

Every effort to protect the environment. Every control on thievery in corporate America...... it goes on and on.

The economy was so bad after dubya got through with it, I thought the republicans deliberately threw it when they brought palin on board. LOL

I think the bigots just couldn’t bear it.

They were going to get it back even if they had to make a deal with the devil.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Who thought Trump was inserting himself wrongly when he declared a birthism lie for 8 years of Obama’s term?

Obama has been more than generous to Trump but I hope that will soon stop. Fascism is staring US in the face in the photo op at the front of St Johns with a bible upside down.

2 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

And just wait until trump is out of office. He will continue to insert himself. He won't be able to live without all the attention and he will use every desperate attempt to salvage what's left of his beloved legacy. Poor guy.

2 Likes Save    

Just know that whether or not individual actors in this are, or are not, personally prejudiced, the powerful elite have mobilized others who certainly are, using racial animosity to their advantage.

And it makes a useful canard to get people to focus on whether or not racism is a motive, rather than what we might do to remediate rit. Driving people apart = divide & conquer.

Back to the idea of wedge issues as a tool for power...

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

And he will always be called Mr. President. 😊

without the- * Impeached- beside his name.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I only hope he is voted out ASAP.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

Just don't credit Obama for doing anything for the black community. Black unemployment under Obama 16%, defunding black colleges. Hate it all you want, but black unemployment under Trump has been the lowest in history, he has raised the funding for black colleges and created opportunity zones.

Save    
Kathy

Those opportunity zones as they were named were a windfall for rich investors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/business/tax-opportunity-zones.html

Former Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey; Richard LeFrak, a New York real estate titan who is close to the president; Anthony Scaramucci, a former White House aide who recently had a falling out with Mr. Trump; and the family of Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, all are looking to profit from what is shaping up to be a once-in-a-generation bonanza for elite investors.

remember McConnell was in charge of the budget while Obama was POTUS and Obama still lifted us out of the recession and gave Trump a growing economy which he has squandered.

2 Likes Save    
nhb_6

mrskjun ,

Just don't credit Obama for doing anything for the black community. Black unemployment under Obama 16%, defunding black colleges. Hate it all you want, but black unemployment under Trump has been the lowest in history, he has raised the funding for black colleges and created opportunity zones.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give some examples of black colleges that were defunded by Obama administration and funded by Trump?

Also just to frame 16% unemployment numbers with some timeline:

Looks like Trump is catching up ...

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"What's sad is Obama's need to keep reinserting himself in a desperate attempt to salvage what's left of his beloved legacy. Poor guy."

Ooooh Mudhouse, you just wait until Biden is sworn-in next Jan, you will never hear the end of trump's Daily complaints and sad pathetic attempts at rewriting his screwed up presidency. It should be quite entertaining compared to Obama's relative silence over the past 3.5 years.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

and sad pathetic attempts at rewriting his screwed up presidency

And his little foot soldiers will repeat whatever he says even then. And none of them will think that Trump had any tiny hand in his unpopularity and dismal view in history.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entryways Back-to-School Action Plan: The Entry
Organize your space by the door with hooks, bins and extras so family members can grab what they need and go
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces Back-to-School Action Plan: Homework Zone
Encourage your child to love learning with a comfortable, organized and age-appropriate study area
Full Story
Entertaining Best-Laid Plans: Designing Menus for Memorable Meals
Master the art of creating menus that make every occasion run like clockwork
Full Story
Tiffany Eastman, Design Principal, stylistically mirrors what is impressed upon her by creating a design concept... Read More