'Excited Delierium' - Probably Be Hearing More about it at Chauvin Tri

Gizmo

When Lane asked if Floyd should be rolled onto his side, Chauvin said, "No, staying put is where we got him." (Officer)Lane said he was "worried about excited delirium or whatever."

Death by Excited Delirium: Diagnosis or Coverup?

February 26, 20074:00 PM ET Heard on All Things Considered

Laura Sullivan

Twitter

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7608386

Minneapolis officer charged with George Floyd’s death as protests flare

By TIM SULLIVAN and AMY FORLITI | Posted: Fri 2:10 AM, May 29, 2020 | Updated: Fri 11:53 PM, May 29, 2020

~

Police were trying to put Floyd in a squad car Monday when he stiffened and fell to the ground, saying he was claustrophobic, a criminal complaint said. Chauvin and Officer Tou Thoa arrived and tried several times to get the struggling Floyd into the car.

Chauvin eventually pulled Floyd out of the car, and the handcuffed Floyd went to the ground face down. Officer J.K. Kueng held Floyd's back and Officer Thomas Lane held his legs while Chauvin put his knee on Floyd's head and neck area, the complaint said.

When Lane asked if Floyd should be rolled onto his side, Chauvin said, "No, staying put is where we got him." Lane said he was "worried about excited delirium or whatever."

An autopsy said the combined effects of being restrained, potential intoxicants in Floyd's system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, likely contributed to his death. It revealed nothing to support strangulation as the cause of death.

There were no other details about intoxicants, and toxicology results can take weeks. In the 911 call that drew police, the caller describes the man suspected of paying with counterfeit money as "awfully drunk and he's not in control of himself."

After Floyd apparently stopped breathing, Lane again said he wanted to roll Floyd onto his side. Kueng checked for a pulse and said he could not find one, according to the complaint.

Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for 8 minutes, 46 seconds, including nearly three minutes after Floyd stopped moving and talking, the complaint said.

Chauvin's attorney had no comment when reached by The Associated Press.

To read in full: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Minneapolis-police-station-torched-amid-George-Floyd-protest-570858641.html

SaveComment35Like
Comments (35)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

The descriptions of George Floyd’s movements and actions at the time of arrest sound a lot like “diabetic shock.”

It would not be the first time that police, etc have attributed the symptoms of severely low blood sugar to drunkenness. They are very similar, even to the smell of alcohol on the breath.

***I’m not predicting this was the case in George Floyd’s death. Just that it tweaked my memory of how diabetics are dealt with by police.

“Symptoms of hypoglycemia often get worse and can even be fatal if left untreated. Symptoms of diabetic shock, or severe hypoglycemia may include:

“Regrettably, police officers occasionally discriminate against individuals with diabetes during investigations, arrests, or pretrial holdings. Such discrimination takes many forms: an officer expressly targets an individual for adverse treatment because of his or her diabetes diagnosis; an officer mistakes hypoglycemia or other effects of diabetes as unlawful conduct; an officer fails to make reasonable accommodations for an individual with diabetes during an arrest or pretrial detention; an officer or jail official denies necessary medical care or supplies to an individual with diabetes during the immediate hours after he or she has been arrested; or a state or municipality fails to provide adequate training to its officers regarding recognizing and accommodating individuals with diabetes.”http://main.diabetes.org/dorg/PDFs/Advocacy/Discrimination/atty-intro-guide-law-enforcement-response.pdf

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues(3-wisonsin)

Hypoglycemia won't cause the fruity alcohol breath but hyperglycemia will. And many of those above listed symptoms can be associated with DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) or dangerously high blood sugar.

1 Like Save    

Thanks for the clarification sleeperblues.

1 Like Save    
Marigold

The video of him being walked along the sidewalk certainly did not look like a man suffering from excited delirium, and it doesn't come on in a matter of seconds

Save    

We all theoretically want to stop the police from killing anyone.

What we don’t all want to do is support the people who are actively working to make that happen.

Is there a source that can be provided for “the cops kill twice as many whites”? And how is that represented as a percentage of population?

Save    

I don’t see your chart.

Anytime we talk about “more” or “less” we need to be talking about percentages of populations *not* gross numbers.

Save    
KarenS, NYC

Last several posts remind of of Lucy from the Peanuts cartoon going WHA-WHA- WHA-WHA-WHA.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Here is word about the independent autopsy that was conducted:

BREAKING: George Floyd died due to asphyxia from neck & back compression that led to a lack of blood flow to the brain, according to an independent autopsy done by 2 pathologists' who ruled manner of death: homicide.
Minneapolis officials have said Floyd didn't die from asphyxia.

3 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

'The left doesn't want to hear it"

This is simply NOT TRUE Do you actually hear people of the left say this, or is it just RW gasbags telling you that that's what the left says. As if there is some big bad monolithic "left" that all thinks the same.

I assure you the militarization of the police over the past few decades is of great concern to many of us. FYI people with mental illness is another group that gets shot and killed by cops more often than other people - here we had a string of about 3 such shootings and there was plenty of outrage about that too. It is possible to care about more than one thing at a time.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

Again, after watching to video I posted, I'm sure it was the knee to the back. I just laid down on my stomach and held my hands behind my back while a friend pressed on my neck with her knee. She didn't get anywhere close to cutting off my blood flow.

Save    
KarenS, NYC

Watch the video again & better still, GET YOUR EYES CHECKED.

She apparently didn't try hard enough, the Killer Cop was more motivated than your friend.

Yea, go on ahead & disagree w/ TWO pathologists & their findings. 'Cause of course, you know better.

3 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

She "pressed her knee" to your neck. Seriously??? Do you understand that a 200 lb. man put the full weight of his body onto his knee, onto this man's neck? This wasnt a Pilates Class gone wrong. This was a lethal act resulting in death.

Unless she weighs 200 lbs strap on a couple sacks of water softener salt and try again, this time making sure the full weight rest on your neck..

On second thought, dont, I would not want to be responsible...

4 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Police brutality happens against white people as well. It should not be minimized as by claiming that it only involves a few bad cops and a few isolated instances. That's BS and we know it ....all of us Republicans and Democrats.

My own opinion is that the Police profession attracts a lot of tough guys who like to exert power over other people. Once in Police Academy they apparently are not getting enough training in certain areas. All too often we see cops swinging batons to break bones and skulls when much less force would be appropriate. We see cops getting enraged when someone questions them after they get stopped for a traffic violation. I recall one cop who pulled a woman out of her car by her hair and several other incidents over the past several years involving Police road rage.

Any policeman who has racial issues, a propensity for violence, a history of domestic abuse, and certainly those already guilty of excessive use of force should not be patrolling the street. Police should be Officers of the Peace and know how and when to use force.

8 Likes Save    
mr1010

Excellent post heri_cles.

Save    
lurker111

I know honest cops. People I grew up with. I asked one why they always unload their guns and kill people rather than shoot them in the leg. Their honest reply?

"We're trained to do that. Dead suspects are cheaper than injured suspects."

Save    
ubro(2a)

"We're trained to do that. Dead suspects are cheaper than injured suspects."

That is disgusting, and if an honest cop said that or condones that he/ she is not that good of a cop or person. Killing for financial benefit, how upstanding and moral (sarcasm)

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I don't like it anymore than the next person, but that is exactly what I was told.

Save    
studio10001

The independent autopsy stated that no underlying conditions were involved, and suggests there may finally be additional arrests - pressure to the back and neck were applied by more than one person.

Save    
studio10001

That poor mother said it all, but I wish you hadn't used her to make a political point about BLM.

If people don't respond to your posts, it may not be because of the content.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It was the knee to the back. I just found out that the police have known it's a death sentence and have been trained not to use it for the last 10 years.

Save    
lurker111

That poor mother said it all, but I wish you hadn't used her to make a political point about BLM.

When we say all lives matter, we're called tone deaf. Enough of the propaganda and let's face the real problems.

1 Like Save    
studio10001

Only one poster is here arguing with themselves in that regard. Enough of the propaganda and let's face a real problem for discussion to be had about anything.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Law enforcement officers are in fact taught to shoot to kill. It is not an action they are suppose to take lightly. You shoot to save lives and simply wounding someone who is trying to kill wont do that. You don't snipe people in the legs as one poster wanted for convenience sake. You don't shoot out people's tires. At least not if you are properly trained. We watch too much television.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

When we say all lives matter, we're called tone deaf.

When people say "all lives matter" but they do not vote to put people in power who support laws and programs that will eliminate racist actions, or they look the other way and ignore the racial inequalities in a justice system because the politician gives them other 'benefits', they are really saying "some lives matter more than others, and right now your life is not as important as my comfort".

Everyone, even black people who are saying BLM believe all lives matter, but for a long time society has not operated as if that is true.

Save    
lurker111

I'm sorry. I live in the US and we don't don't have a problem with racism here. That's all propaganda. Sure, we have prejudiced people, like all countries and all races, but I've never met a racist and don't know anyone that has. We have a lot of self loathing basket cases suffering from inferiority complexes, but racists are just something that you read about on the internet...Not in real life.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I'm sorry. I live in the US and we don't don't have a problem with racism here. That's all propaganda.

I can count on it, sometimes it is over my morning coffee and sometimes it happens later in the day, but someone soon posts a truly laugh out loud comment that is so incredibly false I cannot take them seriously at all.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

They don't exist in my world. I only hear about them on the internet. I'm convinced they are all left wing propaganda groups. Nothing more.

Save    

No one could honestly suggest that this doesn’t exist in the USA:

Save    
lurker111

Now do racist.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"I'm sorry. I live in the US and we don't don't have a problem with racism here. That's all propaganda."

You should be sorry, yeah right lurker, no white supremacists live here in America. Are you sure you live in America and not in trump's la-la land? What do you think your post site from Pepe the frog represents?

Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

"They don't exist in my world."

Theres another LOL one for ya Ubro - two in a row!

I used to have some relatives (still do, just not in contact anymore) who were in the Michigan Militia. I have no idea if they are still in any organized group, but I ve seen some pretty vile emails from them in my Moms inbox. But aside from that - when you read from a whole range of sources, thats where you start to get a reasonable sense of whats true and whats not, whats exaggeration and whats accurate.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

No, doesn't exist anywhere in my world, but it's all I hear about on the internet. Just a manufactured boogieman. Pepe the Frog? Are you talking about Rachael? What's the difference?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Your world is La-La land as I said. Rachael vs pepe, what's the difference? Easy - Rascism. Thanks for a revealing peek into the delusional realm of La-La land

Save    
lurker111

Oh V, I don't know about these things. Racism doesn't exist in my world. Purple shoelaces, Pepe the frog, Hawaiian prints, Rebel flags, rainbows...meaningless. I understand that some people need symbolism and are easily offended by what they think they see, but that's no reason to offend me, or anyone else. Pepe is just a cartoon to me.

You can still listen to the phone call. The articles are all over the web. Deflection isn't going to help.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Oh V, I don't know about these things.

That sums it up well, thx

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Bedroom Color: The Secret to More Sex and More Sleep
Look to surprising revelations about bedroom wall colors to get more of what you want
Full Story
Decorating Guides More Is More: The 10 Tenets of Maximalist Style
Ready to join the school of over-the-top design? Learn how to embrace excess in your interiors
Full Story
Color 12 Tried-and-True Paint Colors for Your Walls
Discover one pro designer's time-tested favorite paint colors for kitchens, baths, bedrooms and more
Full Story