SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_399519131

Why don't floor plans seem to optimize much for sunlight?

Marco Ferreira
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've been dabbling a bit in making house plans for my future house, since I find it fun and interesting.

I already have a plot of land to build on, and decided that I'd like most windows facing south, since that's the side that will get most sunlight all year round. Sunlight is important to me, since it's a bit humid where I live but not that hot (rarely above 32°C/90°F in the summer), and I enjoy the natural light.

I noticed that the best way to increase the amount of sunlight into the house would be to basically make the house a rectangle, with all the room windows facing south (towards the yard), and on the north side of the house (facing the street), basically just one long hallway.

This sounds wrong and seems odd... I don't recall ever seeing a house with a corridor running along the front of it, and the rectangular shape is dull. But if the south side is not completely straight, there will be shadows. And if the house is rectangular, it's hard to avoid a long corridor, which also seems boring and a waste of space.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's any reason for houses not being designed in the way I described, besides the reasons I mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Comments (29)