SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benny312

HELP! Finishing basement bathroom rough-in

benny312
3 years ago

Finishing a basement in our house built in 2016. Long story short, my father-in-law is a contractor and is helping us along the way. He helped us frame walls, run wire, and will be helping with finishing the rest. He is from a very small town, and it seems they may not be as strict regarding code as the city my wife and I live.

There was a bathroom roughed in at the time the house was built in 2016. There is very clearly a spot for a sink, toilet, and shower. We want a half-bath in the basement because it's just going to be a living area. We were confused about the orientation of the sink and toilet rough-ins, as there's not enough room for them to be side-by-side (not 15" from toilet center). When we talked to my father-in-law, he told us we could simply use the shower drain as the vanity sink drain. As you all know what I just found out, this is not code compliant, given the we can't double p-trap a drain as well as the current p-trap in the shower is likely too far away from where the vanity would be.

So I'm asking for help. Mainly asking about if anyone has any ideas for an orientation of the bathroom we could reorient to? Currently the vanity was going to sit along the wall nearest the furnace where the shower rough-in is. Now we're considering how we can tear down the framing and re-arrange to use the sink rough-in. I've read you can run the drain away from the rough-in, but I don't see an orientation that works given the limitations with how far it can be from a vent. I've included pics of the rough-in and floor plan. PLEASE HELP!

Comments (6)