Judge blocks Missouri from closing their only abortion clinic

Olychick

Good news for women in Missouri

A state judge on Friday declared that Missouri’s sole remaining Planned Parenthood clinic will be allowed to remain open, ruling that the health department was in error not to renew the license of the St. Louis clinic.

“Planned Parenthood has demonstrated that it provides safe and legal abortion care. In over 4,000 abortions provided since 2018, the Department has only identified two causes to deny its license,” Missouri Administrative Hearing Commissioner Sreenivasa Rao Dandamudi wrote in his ruling.

“Ultimately, we have no concerns with the substance of Planned Parenthood’s quality assurance review, and there are no other indications of deficient practices,” the commissioner continued. “Therefore, Planned Parenthood is entitled to renewal of its abortion facility license.”

The Missouri Department of Public Health last year attempted to close the St. Louis Planned Parenthood by refusing to renew its license over allegations that the facility performed “failed abortions” that led to more surgeries and put one of the mothers’ lives at risk.

If the clinic had been forced to close permanently, Missouri would have become the only state to have zero abortion clinics since 1974, the year after the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion nationwide.

“It is a sad day when the health and safety of women is sacrificed in the name of abortion access,” said Jeanne Mancini, President of March for Life, adding that the St. Louis Planned Parenthood has “demonstrated consistently that they value profits above the health and safety of women.”

source

SaveComment16Like3
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here's to the courts--again. Nowadays, our only defender of women's reproductive rights, otherwise known as abortion rights.

Kate

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
batyabeth

a slice of good news in this hard news week. Really Kate what happened to all the "other" issues of women's health and reproduction issues? They've been shoved aside for the only topic allowed. There is so much work to do, yet here we are stuck on a path every one else has already signed and sealed.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Iris GW

Thank goodness smarter heads prevailed.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Olychick

batyabeth, I agree...there is only room in the news for that cretin in the WH and his outrage du jour, while other compelling things are slipping by unnoticed. I wanted to make sure this didn't go unnoticed.

eta; to change my phrasing so it would be more clear about whom I am speaking. someone was confused. Now it should be clear. And I really didn't think before I insulted apes like I did.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Good. I hope there will be no appeals.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
kadefol

The Missouri Department of Public Health last year attempted to close
the St. Louis Planned Parenthood by refusing to renew its license over
allegations that the facility performed “failed abortions” that led to
more surgeries and put one of the mothers’ lives at risk.

Abortion is one of the safest and most common out-patient surgeries in the U.S. It is 14 times safer than carrying to term and going through labor. Given those statistics, do they really expect us to believe they are concerned about the pregnant woman's life?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Stan Areted

olychick:

batyabeth, I agree...there is only room in the news for that orange ape and his outrage du jour, while other compelling things are slipping by unnoticed. I wanted to make sure this didn't go unnoticed.

To whom are you referring?

Save     Thanked by Olychick
dublinbay z6 (KS)

That's funny--I had no problem instantly knowing to whom olychick was referring.

: )

Kate

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Olychick
Stan Areted

dublinbay:

That's funny--I had no problem instantly knowing to whom olychick was referring.

Kate

Great, will you share that?

Save    
Olychick

Stan, I edited my post so you should no longer be confused.

Save    
Stan Areted

olychick:

Stan, I edited my post so you should no longer be confused.

So the "orange ape" to which you referred, is the same as the "cretin in the White House?"

I just want to get it straight and on record, so that when and if someone refers to a former occupant of the White House as an "ape" we understand you used it first, there was no complaint or flagging, and it was perfectly acceptable to posters for hours.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

You are assuming lots of forumers have been viewing this thread since since you asked your question? Based on the small handful of forumers who have responded in the last 22 hours since the OP was posted?

Kate

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

dublinbay:

You are assuming lots of forumers have been viewing this thread since since you asked your question? Based on the small handful of forumers who have responded in the last 22 hours since the OP was posted?

Kate

You did not object.

In fact, this was your response, that it was funny, and then a smiley face.

Obviously using the term "orange ape" referring to the "cretin in the White House" was just fine and dandy with you.

olychick:

batyabeth, I agree...there is only room in the news for that orange ape and his outrage du jour, while other compelling things are slipping by unnoticed. I wanted to make sure this didn't go unnoticed.

No outrage, for sure, with this response:

dublinbay:

"That's funny--I had no problem instantly knowing to whom olychick was referring.

Kate"

So noted.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

What was "funny" was that you couldn't figure out to whom that referred.

I didn't say I approved of the description, just that it wasn't hard at all for me to guess to whom the poster was referring.

There you go again, just priming yourself for a squabble. No thanks.

Kate

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

No squabble needed one certainly not wanted, Kate.

I didn't say you thought it was funny that President Trump was called an "orange ape."

I know what you thought was funny.

I saw the smiley, too, which one doesn't do if one disapproves of the name used.

We all saw how accepted that description was.

We know who stands for what, who approves of calling presidents apes.

Got it.

Loud.

And.

Clear.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Poke, poke, prod, prod.

Women still have their constitutional right to a safe and legal abortion in Missouri. That is what matters.

Kate

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Kitchen Design 16 Practical Ideas to Borrow From Professional Kitchens
Restaurant kitchens are designed to function efficiently and safely. Why not adopt some of their tricks in your own home?
Full Story
Small Spaces Life Lessons From 10 Years of Living in 84 Square Feet
Dee Williams was looking for a richer life. She found it by moving into a very tiny house
Full Story
We have been proudly serving the Washington, Maryland & Virginia areas for over 20 years. Our knowledgeable &... Read More
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More