SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorbritain

Exterior leak led to mold.

taylorbritain
3 years ago

We were smelling a very unpleasant smell in the family room, we smelt it coming through the electrical outlet. and through investigating we removed a section of the drywall and insulation to find out that we had mold on the exterior OSB... My husband went outside to that side of the wall and at the top of the gas fire place piece that juts out he saw that the bricks were missing a lot of mortar in between them., We our guessing this is the cause as there is no other water supply on that side.. My question is if we have mold on the interior side of the OSB would be the exterior side of the OSB be worse?? The smell is beyond disgusting, the moisture reading around the affected mold area is 35%. Am I right to presume this OSB is beyond saving and probably just needs to be cut out? meaning opening exterior bricks im guessing. This is quite an ordeal and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice before I start bringing someone in. I just want to have some understanding before asking and accepting any quotes. Thankyou.

Just a sidenote…. we taped the outside once we found the missing mortar, just to prevent more water getting in.

Comments (3)