SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eoolson

Help! Need advice on very dark living room!

eoolson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I apologize in advance for this being a long post....

My living room is very dark, see attached photos. For years I've been knocking different ideas around on how to improve the light in the space. I'm hoping for some thoughts, advice, experiences, etc. so I can finally pick a path forward. Note, I'm a single guy of modest means, so I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Also, all of my furniture has been "hand me downs", but I do plan on upgrading the furniture once projects that add value to the home are done. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area (house built in 1983) if that helps with any of the questions below.

Ideas on getting more light into the space.

1) Step one, I'm probably going to paint the fireplace white.

2) I got a quote for two 4' x 16" non-opening Velux skylights roughly centered near the fireplace. My joists are 16" apart, so this would only involve cutting the roof and no other real changes to the structural work. Quote came in at $8,000!

3) I considered a solar tube (light tunnel, etc.). House down the street with the same floor plan had one done, but I hate the way it's like a spotlight in the space...so I've considered and eliminated that as a choice.

4) Add a window(s). The wall is load bearing where the fireplace is and that wall faces N.W.. My siding is plywood, and I've marked with the blue tape what I think where a window could go. Questions remain though...A) should I go with a smaller "basement" type window (long and narrow) because my view wouldn't be that special (see attached photo)? How much light would they provide vs. a one larger window?, B) what would the cost of this be per window? C) How much light could I expect from a N.W. facing window, and would it be worth the costs?

5) My final idea is just putting in recessed lighting (not the natural light I want, but it at least would be something). A) how many lights for a space like this (floorplan as attached photo, room is about 20 x12, 8' ceiling, not including the dining and kitchen areas). B) about how much would the cost be? The "attic" is just an unfinished space with what I believe is called a "Queen Post" roof support system...so it's not exactly easy to get around up there.

6) Put an opening between the front door entry and this room (where the display cases are now, the three squares in the floorplan). This wall is also load bearing, how much would it be to make this kind of change?

7) Any other ideas?

Thank you

Why my window view would be if 4' x 3'

Concepts...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022