SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattgrowsflowers

My first home-grown bunch, plus a climber question

Morning all, I hope you have a great start to this beautiful weekend.

I woke up at 6 am and couldn't fall back asleep--decided to get up and poke around in the garden. This led to me cutting a few flowers and then I ended up with this. I began this gardening hobby last summer, so this is actually my first bouquet I've ever put together with flowers that I've grown myself. It's made of Hot Cocoa and Imogen roses, Bartzella peonies, and Arizona Shades blanket flower. It's admittedly not fragrant, but it looks pretty at least. Does anyone else have Hot Cocoa? It's supposed to have a smell but I can't detect any. This is the single rose that has been in my yard for a few years, so it should smell by now I think.

I also have a few questions/would love some input. I planted a few climbers last summer (6 of them). I put obelisks up for the two that I planted early summer that have had more of a chance to grow. For the others, this is their first real growing season. I didn't put any supports in place for them. I plan on training them on obelisks as well. Can I wait until next spring to do that? Or should I get them contained within that now? I just think the giant, mostly empty obelisk looks silly on the two roses that I do have them on, but I don't want it to be a pain if I wait. Which leads me to my Zephirine Drouhin.

I have the ZD on an obelisk that is very close to a corner column for my front porch. After I put the obelisk up, I thought it looked odd sitting right below the pillar. I have read the ZDs can get pretty huge so I was planning on training it up the obelisk and then around the pillar (photo above). But I'm afraid this looks silly. Why not train the rose up the brick wall behind it and then on to the pillar? Well, I didn't really consider that because I'm not sure how I would train it on the brick wall. Any advice here is appreciated. Should I continue as I have it set up now, or should I get rid of the obelisk and train it on the wall somehow and then up the pillar?...

And finally, just a few more photos. My Gertrude Jekyll was one of the only grafted roses I planted and she is definitely out-performing everybody. She smells so freakin good.... Smelling her at the nursery is actually what pushed me to plant lots of roses. It was the first time I ever smelled a strongly-perfumed rose. After that I found out that roses were grafted, read up on the differences, and started to buy own-root. I am kind of glad though I have a few grafted (the Imogen's were grafted too) that are very vigorous and ready to be thoroughly enjoyed.

Teasing Georgia just started blooming and oh my gosh, she's stunning. I'm so glad I picked her. She doesn't have a scent yet but I know she will eventually. I picked a few butterfly blue scabiosa to make a bouquet with her because the combination to me looked like a match made in color heaven. Then I got to playing around with my camera and decided to sacrifice a few of the blooms for the sake of this photo (I used to be a photographer, so, I like to get creative).

Comments (14)