SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanne1953

Before and After - Galley Kitchen 2020

Joanne Heintzberger
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are a retired couple in the San Francisco Bay Area. We gutted our 1990 kitchen that had been somewhat updated 15 years ago, back to the sheetrock and started from scratch. After spending untold hours perusing Houzz for inspiration, I concluded I wanted a light and bright white kitchen with light granite counters and white or gray backsplash tile. I also wanted a French Country vibe, so I recovered the stools in a floral upholstery fabric and bought red, yellow, and floral mugs to coordinate. My husband and I designed, chose, and shopped for everything and our contractor made our dream kitchen a reality. We started with Kitchenmaid Cabinets from Home Depot and White Viscount Granite for the countertops. Here are Before and After photos.

Total cost for this renovation was approximately $60,000. Labor is very expensive here.

The oversized green granite peninsula was scaled back and we changed the look from breakfast bar to breakfast table giving the kitchen some French Country flair.

With leftover upholstery fabric, I made hanging kitchen towels. Amazingly, they can go in the washer and dryer.

We have a tea station on the left and a coffee/cookbook station on the right. We love them!

From Ivy Hill Tile via Wayfair we chose this 6" x 7" ceramic field tile called Vintage Lantern and the Vintage Florid Lantern. Elsewhere it is called Byzantine Arabesque tile.

We kept our herringbone-patterned hardwood floor, but bought a new 30" oven and moved it to under the cooktop.

By getting a counter-depth refrigerator and a smaller microwave, we were able to make our space feel visually larger and brighter.

Viscount White Granite

We bought the pendants from Wayfair. They are called Moris Single Bell Pendant, color Caribbean Blue. The paint on our kitchen walls is Kelly Moore Evening Mist. They match perfectly!

The wall with the apple plates is painted the gray that is in our connected family room.

There are many more photos and descriptions at my profile page under Projects.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/inspiration-to-reality-2020-galley-kitchen-pj-vj~6205001

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/galley-kitchen-re-imagined-pj-vj~6203598

Comments (65)