SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aglitter

Loba 2K Supra A.T. coating questions

Aglitter
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is basically a re-finishing question about one of the most durable flooring coatings on the market in 2020. No stripping products nor instructions that I can find are provided by the manufacturer for the product's potential removal were it to be required, thus this post.

The scenario: Houzz discussion forums feature a number of posts from flooring pros like @SJ McCarthy talking about the superiority of Loba 2K Supra A.T. over other market competitors based on appearance, durability, and ease of application including quick cure time. My question is how this product might work in a non-standard application. Points are as follows:

• Loba doesn't recommend any of its floor coatings for vertical surfaces, so they don't offer any technical information on doing so. A few pros have elsewhere online reported success using flooring coatings on vertical surfaces, usually to try to match the surrounding flooring finish.
  • Taking this a step further, suppose you wanted to use Loba in place where there were some intricately shaped surfaces like the example below from SJS Stair & Millwork LLC in Englewood, Colorado.
  • Also suppose you went ahead and applied the Loba 2K Supra A.T. to everything--stair treads, hand rail, and wall--and the application was both initially successful and worked great for a long time.
  • Then suppose you needed for some reason to strip the finish on everything and refresh it after 20 years or whatever.
  • How hard is it going to be to get the Loba 2K Supra A.T. off the shaped woodwork areas? Normally on a floor you would run a flat, mechanical sander over everything. Is there any hope of getting such a hard-wearing product off of this intricate woodwork in the future without intensive sanding? Could I use a stripping chemical? Could I hand sand well enough to preserve the shape of all the angles and curves yet still remove the product?

Hope that explains my question. thanks.

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz