SaveComment24Like4
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cattyles

And it’s obvious that he knows that.

3 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Trump has already brought about the end of the great Republican party.

8 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

what makes Joe viable? We have to depend on his VP choice.

2 Likes Save    
batyabeth

wait, so he knows that mail in voting will mostly tilt victory to the dems, so in his mind that should make mail in voting illegal...........to make sure that dems win nothing?

And he's grousing about rigging elections? Hmmmmm...............................

4 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a (coastal L.A.) and Z9a (desert))

The Republican party of "Honest Abe" Lincoln ended quite some time ago.

7 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

You know you are in trouble when your own party run political ads against you.

7 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Speaking of ads, the breaks during the local news on Fox are now back to back Ditch Mitch ads. :-)

6 Likes Save    
ohiomom

More word vomit on twitter from the reality star. Everyone who thinks he will shut down his main platform/stage raise your hand.

Yeah ... me neither.

(^_^)

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Lincoln institutes mail-in voting. Dems hated the idea.

"It was the 1860s, the Civil War was raging and Republicans, led by President Abraham Lincoln, wanted to let Union soldiers vote from the battlefield. The opposition Democrats balked. They warned of rampant fraud and "a scheme" by Republicans "to gain some great advantage to their party," as one Wisconsin state senator put it before the legislature voted on party lines to become the first state to legalize absentee voting.

About 150,000 of the 1 million Union soldiers were able to vote absentee in the 1864 presidential election in what became the first widespread use of non-in-person voting in American history."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/how-do-you-know-voting-mail-works-u-s-military-n1186926

2 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Thanks, Ziemia. Looks like it all has come full circle, Republicans supported mail in voting then and don't now. Democrats were against it and now are for it. Funny how that goes.

Save    
zmith

The Republican Party of Lincoln’s time is not today’s Republican Party. It hasn’t been for decades. Lincoln strove to keep the US whole. Today’s GOP thrives on dividing us.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The Republican Party of pre-Civil Rights time is not today's Republican Party. During the 1950s and '60s, lots of segregationists switched over to the Republican Party, thus cleaning a lot of racists out the Democratic Party and setting it up to become more liberal with each passing decade.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I've always been of two minds about the Australian system of compulsory voting, but I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea in the US. Make it mandatory, and it becomes very difficult for local party hacks/Presidents to throw up artificial barriers to citizens wanting to exercise their franchise.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Do you vote by mail in Australia? What happens to people who don't vote, since it's compulsory?

Save    
jmm1837

Socks - I'd start by explaining that voting registration and all other aspects of voting at the national level are the responsibility of the Australian Electoral Commission, so the rules are uniform for everyone, no matter which state you live in. (State and local elections are managed by the state electoral commissions, but the electoral roll for all elections is held by the AEC). You register to vote when you reach 18 (or, as in my case, become a citizen) and that's basically a one time thing.

Most people still vote in person, but you can vote by mail (you just tell the AEC you want an absentee ballot) and you can also vote in person at advance polls (ie before the actual polling day). The number of people choosing those two options seems to be on the increase.

If you don't vote, you get fined. I think it's around $80 in my state, less in some of the others.

Save    
dadoes

I'm in TX and if I have to vote in-person and die from COVID-19 to get rid of Trump, then that's what I'll do.

10 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

That is being a true patriot dadoes. Here I do not have to risk my life for my country. We vote by mail in Washington.

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

Thank you, dadoes. It won't come to that. It cannot come to that.

1 Like Save    
zmith

Dadoes, me too. At least there’s early voting, which is usually less crowded. I don’t know if that will be true this year, though.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Like Australia , in Canada you only register once to vote. The registration is updated via various automated methods such as drivers licenses, income tax etc. You can go online any time to check your registration and correct as necessary.

Like Australia we too have an Independent body, Elections Canada, that oversees all aspects of Federal elections so the rules , the polling stations, the hours, the need for ID etc is consistent across the country.

Mail in voting is allowed but is closely managed. You must apply for a mail in ballot providing necessary ID etc but you don' t need a special reason . Once approved you are mailed a ballot and then that is the ONLY way you can vote in that election, you can't change your mind and go to the polls.

Voting is not mandatory.

1 Like Save    
sheesh(5b)

Nana, that is so sensible. I've wondered for years why we can't simplify and guarantee voting. I've been a Judge of Election in two states. Why on earth the U.S. can't have one system across the country for all federal elections is beyond me. It's ridiculous.

Save    
Nana H

Even if the notion of federal control of federal elections sits poorly with those who believe strongly in States rights , I'm unclear why there aren' t politically independent agencies within the States controling election protocols.

How anyone can believe that any political party can have impartial authority over an election is just plain dumb.

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

What makes Joe viable? The nomination.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"What makes Joe viable? The nomination."

How do you figure? Everyone who runs has a "nomination," but only one candidate wins.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Layouts: A Vote for the Good Old Galley
Less popular now, the galley kitchen is still a great layout for cooking
Full Story
Home Tech Why Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
Life How to Get Along With the Neighbors — and Live Happier at Home
Everyone wins when neighbors treat one another with kindness, consideration and respect
Full Story
For over 50 years, we have provided quality masonry products to homeowners, contractors, and architects at our... Read More
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More