SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barkinmarm

Backflow preventer

barkinmarm
3 years ago

This post kind of belongs in the realm of pest control as well...

I've set up a scare device to try to keep nuisance birds off of some of my bird feeders. Submersible utility pump in a 5 gallon pail, 25' garden hose, spray nozzle, and remote-controlled power switch at the outlet. For the most part it is working, except for the agonizing delay between my activating it with the remote and the water actually spraying. The water has been siphoning back into the bucket between shots (4' rise from pump to nozzle) and the delay is about 4 seconds for the pump to refill the hose and emit spray. WAY too long.

I purchased a brass vacuum breaker and attached it at the pump outlet thinking it would keep the hose full of water and significantly reduce my "spray lag". No go. The delay is actually a couple of seconds longer and the amount of spray is reduced.

What gives? Do I need to attach the vacuum breaker at the spray nozzle? The pump itself is not a high powered gph unit and I'll probably upgrade next spring. I just figured I would get the same spray power, just without the long delay. Any input will help!

Comments (6)