covid-19 is not the flu....

Annie Deighnaugh

"People think that, with COVID-19, 1 percent die and the rest just have flu," virologist Peter Piot, a giant of AIDS and Ebola research, tells The New York Times. "It's not that simple — there's this whole thing in the middle." Piot, 71, should know: The coronavirus "hit me like a bus" in March, he said, and he's only now able to move about for more than 10 minutes at a time. Researchers are still learning about the new coronavirus, but some people fortunate enough to recover still face lung scarring, heart damage, persistent fatigue, blood clots, strokes, neurological problems, and other long-term damage.

People in their 70s or older, like Piot, "are most likely to die from the virus, while younger people generally have a milder form of COVID," Renuka Rayasam writes at Politico. "Survivors in their 40s, 50s, and 60s will likely suffer the longest," experiencing serious aftereffects following more severe infections. The exhaustion and shortness of breath can make it impossible to return to work for a year or more, which can also lead to deteriorating mental health. COVID-19 survivors aren't allowed to join the U.S. military, Rayasam notes.

Middle-aged survivors are "the group that we're concerned about when we discharge," Shari Brosnahan, a pulmonary and critical care doctor at NYU's Langone Health, tells Politico. "If you were an active person with this disease and were in the ICU, your transition away from either being a primary breadwinner or taking care of kids or taking a trip in your retirement, those are things that have been taken away from you."

The 99,000 recorded U.S. COVID-19 deaths grab most of the attention, but it's worth remembering — and keeping in mind — that life hasn't returned to normal for many of the 1.68 million Americans infected with the coronavirus, and it may not feel normal for quite a while. Peter Weber

https://theweek.com/speedreads/916576/covid19-survivors-young-40-often-face-long-painful-recoveries

SaveComment41Like3
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiomom

Might as well repost this ... hope that is okay because the chart does show the yuge difference between the flu and Covid19

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

People just don't understand that there are these known and unknown consequences of even having and surviving it:

but some people fortunate enough to recover still face lung scarring, heart damage, persistent fatigue, blood clots, strokes, neurological problems, and other long-term damage.

3 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

It just doesn't register with the people who think it's no big deal.

3 Likes Save    
deegw

It's easier for simple minds to absorb sound bites.

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"It's easier for simple minds to absorb sound bites."

Yep. Russia, Russia, Russia was designed with that application in mind.

Save    
dandyfopp

Seems to have worked.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

I have a real problem with that Yahoo News infographic posted above; the statistics from CDC/Johns Hopkins may be correct, but the colored bars that Yahoo chose to illustrate the differences have no mathematical relationship to reality.

Look at the Covid side of the chart. The blue bar is cases, the red bar deaths. The red bar is 2/3 the height of the blue bar.

When most people look at a bar chart, they expect the height of the bars to mean something. But in this case, if you try to make sense of the height of the bars on the Covid19 side, the death count from Covid19 would have to be 2/3 the number of cases.

98,787 is not 2/3 of 1,676,401.

2/3 of Covid19 cases do not end in death. Visually it's completely misleading (and that's putting it nicely.)

1 Like Save    
deegw

If we are going to nitpick about what might be visually misleading, we should also note that the green H1N1 bar is not 30+ times higher than the COVID bar.

The numbers tell the story not the colored bars.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Exactly, deegw. That's why I said the bars have no mathematical connection to reality. But using big colored bars that mean nothing is a pretty good way for Yahoo News to lie with statistics.

Why use colored bars? Because they know the visual power. Most people will just glance at them and come away with a false impression. It's not an accident that the bars are used to portray Covid19 this way.

If you think it's accidental, I have a bridge to sell you...

Save    
heri_cles

Clipped:

"For anyone who knows that one person who just can’t seem to get on board with this- feel free to share.

***Let me introduce myself: I am a practicing ER doctor with a Bachelors degree in cell and molecular biology/genetics and a Masters degree in public health in addition to my doctorate.

COVID is not a flu. Not even a little. Here are reasons why:

1. It is a separate species. It is no more like influenza than you are like a hippo. DIFFERENT SPECIES.

2. It is an airborne virus. This means the tiny droplets can stay in the air for a full 2 hours. So if a person coughed in aisle 4 of Target 1.5 hours ago, they may be home now but their covid cloud is still hanging there just waiting for you to walk by and take a breath. Influenza is not an airborne virus. It is droplet spread- meaning someone has to directly crop dust you with their sneeze to get you sick. Covid is much more contagious.

3. Covid is more virulent. Virulence factor is a measure of how catchy something is. For example, the flu is like beer. It takes a bunch to get you drunk. Covid is more like tequila - A little goes a long way. You need to suck up a lot of flu particles to actually catch the flu; with covid, even a few particles is enough to infect you.

4. Covid has a longer incubation than the flu. When you catch the flu, you typically get sick in the next 1-2 days. This is awesome because it means you stay at home while contagious because you feel like a heap of fried garbage. Covid has a blissful 5-9 days of symptom free time during which you are well enough to head to the movies, gym or mar-a-lago while also being contagious enough to infect everyone you encounter.

5. Covid has a longer duration of illness than flu. With covid, you have a 5-9 days of blissful asymptomatic contagiousness. This then turns into about 1 week of cough and overall feeling like hell but still surviving. Week 2 is when things hit the fan and people end up unable to breathe and on a ventilator. Many stay on the vent for up to 15 days. 5 days incubating+7 kinda sick days + 15 days on a ventilator makes for 27 days of virus spreading illness, (assuming you don’t just die of massive asphyxiation and body-wide collapse from overwhelming infection somewhere in that last week).The flu has an average incubation of 1-2 days and sick time of 7 days for a total of 9 infectious days. In the world of deadly viruses, that 18 extra days might as well be a millennia.

6. Covid is more deadly. A LOT more deadly. The flu has about a 0.2% mortality rate, meaning 2 of every thousand people who get sick with flu will die. On the contrary, the death rate from covid is reportedly 2%, so 10 times more deadly than flu. Ten times more death seems like a lot more death to me. Whats more worrisome is that 2% is actually incorrect because it doesn’t usually kill kids so that skews the average. With covid, age is a major factor in survival. If we don’t include people under 30, the death rate for adults is on average 4.5%. 9 out of every 200 adults that get this will die from it. Do you know 200 adults? Do you think losing 9 of them is no big deal? Since mortality increases with age in covid, the risk gets worse as you get older so if we put 100 grannies in a room with covid, only 85 would make it out alive to make pies and tell great stories of the old days... and that just sucks.

I hope that helps to clarify why covid is in no way a flu, why you are in no way a hippo, and why staying home is the only way for non-essential people to do their part while I spend my days at work covered in a plastic poncho, sucking air through a stuffy respirator mask, leaving my scrubs in my driveway, showering the covid off at 4am when I get in, and thinking to myself “now do u still think it was just a flu?” as I risk my own life with my face 2 inches from their highly contagious, gasping mouth while I slide the plastic tube down their throat and start up the ventilator."

5 Likes Save    
deegw

Just my opinion, but pointing out the visual discrepancies that support the RW narrative while ignoring the other discrepancies smacks of the same type of misrepresentation as the accused graph bars.

4 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

The bars actually downplay how much worse Covid-19 is. Ditch the graph, read the numbers: the H1N1 side is 1 in 5,000, the Covid-19 side is 1 in 17.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Wait a minute! Gov. Cuomo said that the flu is MUCH worse than covid.

Maybe someone should tell him before he kills another several thousand seniors.

Save    
jmm1837

Trump said the same thing back in February. Cuomo seems to have learned from his mistakes. Unfortunately, one President and quite a few governors have not.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Well if you want to talk about misleading charts, look what they did to this one to make it look like covid is disappearing in GA...

Date order in the chart listed above as, of course they made the dates as obscure as possible. Why would they think they could get away with this?

Nope no politicization or playing fast and loose with the facts here!

Save    
Kathy

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Four months of Covid in US ^^^^T

Save    
chisue

In addition, we don't know much about Covid-19. It may survive silently before returning to damage its host -- even those who are asymptomatic *now*.

I've just read that obstetricians are becoming suspicious about risk to the placenta in pregnancies where the mother is Covid-19 positive.

We have so little experience with this virus.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Chisue, that’s the thing. We know so little. They don’t know whether we can become immune. They don’t know how many ways it is transmitted. They don’t know the long term damage if any. They don’t know all the symptoms. Th is certainly a lot more to learn before we know how serious it is or isnt.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Annie, I just read about Georgia's use of those mixed up dates on that chart. That's pretty inexcusable, and I'm glad the outcry made them change it.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

100,000 in four months. And that’s with two months of lockdown. With all the reopenings, it could easily be another 200,000 or more by the end of the year. And so many refuse to do something so easy as to wear a mask in public. It’s mind-boggling.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Wearing a mask is an annoyance but it protects not only others but yourself if others would comply. It seems it would be the least someone could do if they thought of someone besides themselves and want to be able to move about more freely.

I agree Joanie, it’s mind boggling but there are a large proportion of Trumpers that refuse to comply. I think it’s because they think the economy won’t bounce back in time for Trump to be re-elected.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

As one meme put it, if you don't like wearing a mask, you're really not going to like the ventilator.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

If you can smell smoke or a barbecue you can inhale small particles. Wear a mask.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200527/aerosol-scientist-covid19-is-likely-airborne

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Since I am the one who posted the chart I have a suggestion. Don't look at the color, read the words/numbers.

Easy. Fix.

For those who find wearing a mask when you run errands or shop unbearable, imagine being the worker who wears it all day/evening long. My daughter who is on public transportation wears a mask to and from work which totals 11 hours. She also has MS, so cry me a river if you (generic you) resent having to wear a mask a small portion of your day.

Get a grip folks, there are worse things in life ... yes like a ventilator.

6 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Seems the message is not reaching these folks or they just don't care. This was for the launch of SpaceX that didn't happen, it's rescheduled for Saturday so there will be a repeat.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/disturbing-spacex-photo-emerges-from-coronavirus-hit-florida-105542886.html

Save    
ohiomom

Thinning the herd.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Now that mask wearing has become politicized, we can expect less compliance.

For those that prefer sound bites, here is one:

As of April 10, 2020 Coronavirus has become the #1 killer in the US.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Now that mask wearing has become politicized, we can expect less compliance."

Biden's mask wearing was unnecessary. He was outdoors and could have had everyone else wear a mask. He did as he was told, having no sense of the freakish image he was projecting.

The name Michael Dukakis might not ring a bell any more. Pity.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

He was outdoors and could have had everyone else wear a mask.

How very trumpian...I'm not responsible! Make everyone else bear the burden...not me!

9 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

He did as he was told

He was following the recommendations of anyone and everyone who knows anything about CV-19, unlike trump.

3 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

The Spanish Flu sounds very much like COVID19 and some of the same coverups took place then as they have taken place with this current virus. Here is an article that talks about how censorship made the problem worse. I feel that there are a lot of parallels with COVID19. Spanish Flu

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Pap, you’re wrong. Those voting for Biden were more encouraged by seeing him wear a mask, not less. We are voting for a sane adult that follows scientific recommendations.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Walk the walk. Biden 2020.

2 Likes Save    
heri_cles

and talk the talk.

Biden/Warren 2020

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Here is an article that talks about how censorship made the problem worse.

Interesting coincidence -- I just read that part of Barry's "The Great Influenza" last night.

Woodrow Wilson was adamant that morale must be kept high for the war effort, and even as hospitals were overflowing on military bases across the US, hopeful platitudes about the disease continued. Knowing what had been happening among the servicemen, Philadelphia still refused to cancel a large city parade to support and encourage the purchase of Liberty Bonds. Patriotic duty and all that fine rhetoric to continue as planned with large city-wide gathering -- with the predictable tragedy ensuing.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

When Nixon resigned in disgrace he still had 25%+ support. His supporters were vocal.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Biden was setting a good example and showing respect. Trump doesn't know how to do either. Sad.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

As one meme put it, if you don't like wearing a mask, you're really not going to like the ventilator.

Or the one that said....

" A flattened curve just means they now have an ICU bed available for you"

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Contributors who continue to spout this nonsense about equality between flu and Covid-19 cause me to believe they are not genuine. We'll see a lot of chatty meanderings in a post, then this lie surfaces in the midst of it -- coming from some'one' whose prior statements have repeatedly been corrected and disproven.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Resilience How to Navigate Your Business Through COVID-19
In this webinar, design industry business expert Julia Molloy shares tips to help firms adjust to these uncertain times
Full Story
For Pros Webinar: Communicating With Clients During the COVID-19 Outbreak
By Houzz
In this webinar, Houzz editor Erin Carlyle shares tips for communicating with clients in an uncertain time
Full Story
Industry Research Remodeling and Design Firms Show Drop in Optimism Amid COVID-19
The Q2 Houzz Renovation Barometer shows a plunge in confidence as businesses face fallout from the pandemic
Full Story
We offer a unique combination of design flexibility, product quality, expressive creative options, craftmanship... Read More
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More