SUCH a better idea than the extension of the $600 until January 2021

Ann

Clearly, Nancy's recently passed 3 trillion House bill will never become law, but here is a glaring example of the difference between the two parties!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/a-top-trump-economic-adviser-says-the-white-house-is-considering-offering-back-to-work-cash-bonuses-for-unemployed-americans/ar-BB14CWIM?ocid=spartandhp

SaveComment25Like2
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann

Speaking of the House, I also read most GOP House members plan to return to work this week while the Dem members will work remotely from home. This is like the difference between Trump being out and about and Biden staying in his basement with the exception of his one trip out yesterday.

2 Likes Save    
Sue 430

Só reward the people who don’t need the money? You do realize that it won’t be quick or easy for people to find new jobs right now, right?

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I think it will be quite easy for people to find jobs as this economy progresses with its opening. I expect we'll see lots of hiring.

1 Like Save    
vedabeeps

I don’t understand this thinking that people are going to keep collecting unemployment when their jobs come back- that’s not how unemployment works.

If you are offered your job back for at least the same money or more you either have to take it (and therefore UI is over,) or your UI is cancelled. If your employer offers you fewer hours/ less pay than you were getting UI pays the difference.

Why does the GOP keep telling this lie?

6 Likes Save    
Ann

We can reward people for staying at home and remaining on the government dole for even longer than sensible because some are now getting more government money than they were by working or we can encourage work, self sufficiency, and a return to the great economy of our nation.

Wow, that's a tough choice!

Save    
vedabeeps

You know that’s a lie, Ann. You and I conversed about this exact subject on another thread.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Many people won't be offered their old job back because those businesses have folded. So, those people would need to find new jobs - but why when they can get unemployment plus $600 - and House Dems want that extra $600 extended for many more months. It's been an enormous disincentive!

3 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Make up your mind. Have the jobs disappeared because "businesses have folded" or will we see"lots of hiring?" If the latter is true, and the economy leaps back, then a few people hanging onto their UI benefits won't matter in the bigger scheme of things if so many more people will be getting jobs.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Veda, what is it you are claiming is a "lie"?

Save    
moosemac(Z5 NH / Z3-4 ME)

vedabeeps,

In theory you are correct but in some states it is almost impossible to be denied unemployment even if you refuse to go back to work. As an employer I can tell you that before COVID-19, it was a fight to get a fired employee denied unemployment even if they refused to report to work. Now it is impossible since state offices are operating remotely and state governement is not enforcing the refuse to return to work criteria.

The problem is there are those who know how to use the system. I know the majority of businesses in my field are stuggling to get a portion of their employees to come back to work. These are for good paying, full time, blue collar jobs with benefits. These are employers who are following the state worker safety mandates for reopening.

Bottom line is the extra $600 makes it tempting to stay home. Think about it in our state 55% of your gross salary before taxes plus $600 per week, no commuting or lunch costs through July 31 so basically half the summer off. Couple that with the fact most of these employers furloughed their workers so they are continuing the employees' health, life and disability insurance coverage. By the time the insurance cancellation moratorium is lifted and Unemployment cuts off their benefits, most will have had half the summer off. As employers, our hands are tied.

That being said, we have been fortunate in that all but one of our employees have returned or will be returning in the next couple weeks. Our daughter's company has 3 refusing to return out of 20 employees. The issue has hit some industries harder than others.

I shuddered to think what would happen if they extend all these mandates until January.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"Have the jobs disappeared because "businesses have folded" or will we see"lots of hiring?""

I think both are true. Many small businesses (and some larger ones) have folded and many of these now empty business locations will be leased or bought by chains with more financial resources or by other brand new businesses. They'll all need workers as will those businesses who will actually reopen, but per the request of their former employees, those employers agreed to lay off many of those former employees so those employees would be eligible to make more money from the government (unemployment and the extra $600). Veda, if those employees asked to be laid off (and were) and their previous employer reopens, their unemployment won't end, which appears to be the scenario you are discussing.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Moosemac, thank you for your post and it's very interesting to get your employer perspective. That was an excellent contribution to the conversation.

1 Like Save    
jlhug

Vedabeeps, If the employee says he or she is concerned about catching COVID 19 if he or she goes back to work, then the $600 pandemic unemployment compensation payment continues if the employee doesn’t go back to work.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

At one time if you were let go or in my case refused to take a position where I would have been required for the second time to do things that were illegal if I had waited for 8 weeks I could have received unemployment. Many states have a time limit where if you have looked for work even if you were fired for cause you can still collect unemployment.

Save    
heri_cles

Trump's 1.5 Trillion dollar tax cut was a mistake.

It was a give-away to the top 20% on the income ladder. Now the middle class will have to pay for that.

3 Likes Save    
Olychick

These are some of the companies that received relief and we are worried about workers getting $600 for the rest of the year? Or anything, for that matter. I guess that's the difference between Dems and Repubs. People vs corporations:

• Potbelly, Wendy’s restaurant chains got small-biz loans
  • Airlines, health-care firms are getting largest sums by far

Source and more recipients

1 Like Save    
Ann

Well, IMO, the good news is there is not a chance Nancy's 3 billion bill will ever become law and I'm sure the extension of the $600 to the end of 2020 is one big reason. Republicans always strongly disliked that $600 part of the CARES act but, of course, compromise had to occur to get that bill passed. But, that was then and this is now. The economy is beginning its comeback (maybe even a bit better than expected) and the urgency of another bill (if one is indeed needed at all) isn't like last time. I think there is absolutely no way whatsoever that $600 extension will occur. Thank God!

Save    
Olychick

Heaven forbid the workers who create the wealth in this country should get even a small advantage, vs the billions and billions that go to the wealthy and corporations. I don't get why that is the priority for the repubs. Can you explain?

1 Like Save    
heri_cles

How long did the sugar high from Trump's 1.5 Trillion dollar tax cut last?

"more than 60% of the tax savings went to people in the top 20% of the income ladder, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. The measure also slashed the corporate tax rate by 40%."

After 2 Years, Trump Tax Cuts Have Failed To Deliver On GOP's Promises

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Interesting how trump supporters begrudge every penny that helps actual people, but corporate welfare is no problem at all.

I don't know about other states, but the only must-return-to-work exceptions here in TX are people who are over 65 and/or live with someone who is at high risk for covid complications. For everyone else, fear of the virus is not a valid reason to continue to receive unemployment if ones' job is available.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

And with the repubs' determination to hold employers faultless if employees must return to unsafe working conditions and then contract the virus, they are declaring workers expendable for profits. What is the incentive to create a safe working environment if there is no recourse for your employees?

People's lives are just collateral damage for wall street profits.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Every time I read the right complaining about people sitting home collecting government money and they don’t really want to work, the undertone is it’s Dem minorities taking advantage, that they really don’t believe Trumpers fall into the same category. But they can’t be that naive can they?

5 Likes Save    
Olychick

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

For everyone else, fear of the virus is not a valid reason to continue to receive unemployment if ones' job is available.

A lawyer on the CBC said the same thing when he was doing a Q&A. If the employer recalls an employee they do not have the right to refuse because of fear.

Although the employer is responsible to have safety measures in place, he is not responsible for your fear, he can legally let the employee go.

Of course, those companies with Unions may have different rules.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Small-Space Ideas Unfold in Origami-Like Cube Loft
A redesigned studio in the Charles Moore–Arthur Andersson architectural compound in Austin, Texas, makes the most of its snug size
Full Story
Landscape Design 15 Great Ideas for a Lawn-Free Yard
End the turf war for good with hardscaping, native grasses and ground covers that save water and are easier to maintain
Full Story
Laundry Rooms Trending Now: 10 Ideas From Popular New Laundry Rooms
Whether your space is big or small, embrace color, personality and clever storage for a welcoming and hardworking room
Full Story
Our cabinetry is 100 percent hand crafted by our skilled woodworkers in our Fairfield, CT facility. We have been... Read More
Phantom Screens helps homeowners, builders and architects to really have it all — shade from sun, protection from... Read More