SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaw0915

Designer Help Desperately Needed - Floating Shelving Problem

eaw 513
3 years ago

Hi everyone. My much delayed kitchen/laundry/bath remodel is drawing near and I am having an issue with the sizing for floating shelving on the window wall of the kitchen. I currently have two 18" cabinets, one on either side of the sink, that will be coming down. I am planning on putting floating shelving on both sides of the window but am having some difficulty figuring out the appropriate width/depth for the shelving. Since I only have 8' ceilings I thought that 2 shelves on either side would fit comfortably. I've attached the CAD rendering for that wall and the full kitchen layout.

Can anyone weigh in on the following:

1. I'm not planning on storing dinnerware on the shelving (got all drawers below counter level, yay!) so since we will have seating at the peninsula would 9" shelving be better than 11" shelving (less projection on the peninsula side)?

2. I'm thinking that the shelving to the left of the window should be 18" long (just like the current cabinet); since we are expanding the peninsula counter by 12" to accommodate seating how long would you make the shelving to the right of the window? I've tried to do a little research but haven't found anything helpful about a good distance to end shelving from the edge of a peninsula with seating.

I should tell you that the wall will be tiled from counter to ceiling with 3x12 gloss white wavy subway tile. I'm leaning toward installing it in a herringbone pattern on only that wall and doing a regular running bond on the range wall. I really want the window wall to be a wow when you walk into the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. This has been driving me absolutely nuts in between all of the house/hand sanitizing.

Comments (12)