Twitter Must Cleanse the Trump Stain

deegw

The president is spreading a vile conspiracy theory on the platform. Maybe Twitter should finally hold him to its rules.

“Please delete those tweets,” the widower begged in a letter last week to Twitter’s chief executive, Jack Dorsey. “My wife deserves better.”

Yes, Twitter, Lori Klausutis certainly does deserve better, nearly two decades after she died in a tragic accident that has morphed into a macabre and continuing nightmare for her husband, Timothy Klausutis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/opinion/trump-scarborough-twitter.html?referringSource=articleShare

SaveComment37Like
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deegw

The boogeyman plunging him and the family of his late wife into the very worst of memory holes is a conspiracy-theory-loving, twitchy-fingered and often shameless tweeter who also happens to be the president of the United States, Donald J. Trump.

“President Trump on Tuesday tweeted to his nearly 80 million followers alluding to the repeatedly debunked falsehood that my wife was murdered by her boss, former U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough. The son of the president followed and more directly attacked my wife by tweeting to his followers as the means of spreading this vicious lie,” wrote Mr. Klausutis, in a letter sent to Mr. Dorsey on Thursday that I obtained over the weekend.

“I’m asking you to intervene in this instance because the president of the United States has taken something that does not belong to him — the memory of my dead wife — and perverted it for perceived political gain.” (You can read the letter in full here.)

9 Likes Save    
Nana H

Those tweets are dispiscable and totally indefensible. Not only is it not defensible he needs to be called out for it. Actions like this , especially at times like this, are why is poll numbers are so dismal. People want focused leadership not hateful conspiracy theories.

3 Likes Save    
deegw

The disturbing thing is that many of his older supporters don't use Twitter and they don't read the news outlets that report his vile twitter garbage. They are completely in the dark about the depth of Trump's depravity.

4 Likes Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

I can think of nothing decent to say about Trump on this --- most of us know too well his flawed personality traits and have seen/used the descriptive adjectives (disgusting, boorish, juvenile, on and on and on). But, this is a case of flouting Twitter's TOS, which Trump does again and again. There is no defense for that. I felt that Mr. Klausutis's letter to Twitter made his argument for removal of the offending tweets in a very classy way --- it was well-worded with just the right touch of emotion. As I read his letter, I thought to myself: better to have THIS man as President than the lout we have.

10 Likes Save    
lurker111

This scandal has been in the news for years. No reason to get upset just because Trump retweeted it. I know joe hates to be reminded of this, but the American people deserve answers.

Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^ I beg to differ, Trump sows discord and division, he is the POTUS and should behave in a manner that respects the office, not wallowing in the gutter with conspiracy theorists. American people deserve a leader that has some moral decency, not a petty twitter tweeter.

17 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Sad that golfing this weekend didn't keep Trump from making these hate filled tweets.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

This rumor was started by the crats...Just like the birthers.

Save    
soupgirl53

I hope Twitter deletes the posts and in doing so, sends a message to Trump if he is going to use Twitter, he must follow their rules.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I know joe hates to be reminded of this, but the American people deserve answers.

The answer (the one) is according to the autopsy she had a heart condition, fainted, and hit her head on furniture as the cause of death, Joe was out of state at the time.

As for trump, even though most of his supporters are not deplorable, he definitely is by allowing this conspiracy theory to fester.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Mika read the letter on the air this morning. It is a very powerful letter.

Trump is lashing out because he is no longer able to counting on Morning Joe as a platform for his blather.

That being said, I really have trouble forgiving Mika and Joe for giving Trump such a bully pulpit during the 2016 election. Even though they knew he was the most inappropriate candidate for president ever, they liked the ratings. So in some ways maybe karma is biting them on the butt.

4 Likes Save    
bfox254

It's an ugly and hurtful rumor and the president of the US has absolutely no business trying to settle old grudges by tweeting this garbage.

He continues to do it because apparently people such as lurker get a kick out of it.

16 Likes Save    
blfenton

hmm - so maybe Hillary was right - perhaps trumps supporters are as he is.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

How low to retweet that, I don't care HOW it got started (and I doubt lurker is right on that anyway). He hasn't stained twitter, that is full of petty people. But he has stained the office of the President of the United States and it will take years to get that out.

14 Likes Save    
lurker111

I was a crat in those days. I know what they believed. I know their lies. I know their methods. Once again, blaming Trump for something the left pushed for years.

Save    
dandyfopp

The nation will cleanse the Trump stain.

Tick tock Donnie.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

And I was a Republican. I know them too and how they use people for their personal gain at the expense of both the people and the environment.

6 Likes Save    
kadefol

^^Yes, that's why husband and I are no longer repubs.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I know joe hates to be reminded of this, but the American people deserve answers.

The answer (the one) is according to the autopsy she had a heart condition, fainted, and hit her head on furniture as the cause of death, Joe was out of state at the time.

As for trump, even though most of his supporters are not deplorable, he definitely is by allowing this conspiracy theory to fester.

~~~~

Anybody who defends this threatening despicable attack IS deplorable. Anybody at all. Let the Trumpites who don't approve step up and SAY SO.

4 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

And me. And my mom is not voting in 2020 because she can’t vote for Trump and she won’t vote Dem.

Save    
studio10001

And me. The republican party died with McCain. The rest have gone to P.O.T.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Yet another example of Trump being his miserable self -- in front of the whole world.

US allies are as eager for our November elections as the rest of who are fed up with this low-life man in the White House.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

His supporters will never speak against him. One of two reasons, they share his values and think this is OK or they know this is wrong but can't bring themselves to admit it publicly.

5 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump spews all manner of lies and conspiracy theories, yet a thread is started saying the lib press is lying. Hoot!

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)
Save    
studio10001

His supporters are speaking against him:

— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) May 24, 2020

COVID gave Trump a chance to be a decent, compassionate human being (or pretending to be). But he couldn't even do that

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

Jeff Sessions

@jeffsessions

.@realdonaldtrump Look, I know your anger, but recusal was required by law. I did my duty & you're damn fortunate I did. It protected the rule of law & resulted in your exoneration. Your personal feelings don't dictate who Alabama picks as their senator, the people of Alabama do.

Save    
studio10001

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

Another former republican here....

Save    
graywings123(7)

Twitter should delay posting all Trump's tweets until they can be reviewed by a Twitter employee for propriety.

2 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

OP - I would add a sentence. Maybe Twitter USERS could stop supporting a RW propaganda tool or at least boycott it until it upholds the rules.

Where we spend our money and what we click on (clicks translate to profits) is where our power is - as much as voting, arguably even more so....

4 Likes Save    
Gizmo

I really hope when Trumps gets voted out of office this Nov...Twitter cancels his account.

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

The tweets are a window into his deranged mind. I hate his tweets, how embarrassing it is to have a president like this. In a way it's good we can see his derangement laid bare. But the problem is his cult cheers on Trump's deranged thoughts and agree with them, encourage him, and spread them, kind of like the virus.

6 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Gizmo, dream on. He’ll be tweeting long after he fails re-election in November. He could be even more obnoxious and threatening than he is now. He will never stop because craves the attention. He has to say something outrageous, rude, argumentative, bragging, etc. every day. He feeds on the attention his words bring him.

1 Like Save    
deegw

Later in the day Tuesday, Trump said he had seen the letter, but he dismissed the request from Klausutis’ widower.

“I’m sure that [Klausutis’ family], ultimately, they want to get to the bottom of it, and it’s a very serious situation,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “It’s a very suspicious thing, and I hope someone gets to the bottom of it.”

Trump did not offer any evidence for his claims.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/26/twitters-world-leaders-policy-gets-a-new-test-with-trump-tweets.html

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

“I’m sure that [Klausutis’ family], ultimately, they want to get to the bottom of it,

Hey trump, pay attention, the bottom was gotten to many years ago, keep up. You only want to stir things up for political diversionary reasons and you know it.

4 Likes Save    
blfenton

But he also stirs up and creates so much pain for those involved. I happen to think he does it deliberately

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Dishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
Working With Pros 17 Things Color Consultants Want You to Know
Dithering over potential palettes for your home? A color pro might be the way to go. Here's how it works
Full Story
Kitchen Design The 10 Most Popular Kitchen Photos of 2016
Fall in love with classic styles and materials all over again — and see what’s cooking for the new year
Full Story
As a local small business we believe in providing personalized solutions to your building and remodeling needs.... Read More
Founded by Amanda Lehmann in 2011, Lehmann Creative Studio is a boutique design firm and art studio born out of... Read More