SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_772175884

Layout For Oddly Shaped Entry/Playroom

Ellen A
3 years ago

I'm trying to put together an oddly-shaped front room of our house that we'd like to use as an entry/playroom combo. I have some ideas for the space, but incorporating rugs in particular is challenging.

Our entry space is perpendicular to the front door (used only by guests). Current plan is for a console across from the door and a bench next to the door, but I'm not sure how to best put a rug into the space. Thoughts? A 4x7 runner would fit from the door through the end of the bench, but there'd be a gap between the door and the runner (16"?) and 4x7 is a non-standard size that seems likely to have to be made with carpet tiles.

The area beyond that would be most useful for us as a playroom - obviously non-ideal as a first view from the front door, but the space we have. Current plan is for a small loveseat as a semi-room divider/smaller seating option for 2 adults (but likely more often parent and child) to help cut down the view somewhat and organized shelving across the back wall. Larger items like jumper/swing could tucked into the odd shaped section that's less visible (plus has a wall vent). That would leave the main area open for play.

I'd like to put a larger rug down for this play area, but can't figure out how to do this. I have a couple options (8x10 above, 5x10 below), but am dealing with awkward gaps in the room, covering less of the play space or non-standard sizes again.

If you were doing shelving across most of the long, focal wall in the back, would you do 72", 84", or all the way up to the ceiling? Kid stuff at the bottom in bins, books and potentially board games at the top.

Thanks!!

Comments (2)