SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_473963431

Corner Sectional Dilemma: Interior Define Sloan or Joybird Lewis?

Laura L
3 years ago

I'm debating between these two corner sectionals: Interior Define Sloan or Joybird Lewis. Does anyone have experience with either one?

Some of the reviewers of the Sloan lament the cushions always needing to be fluffed, so I'm also wondering if upgrading to the "Down Alternative" would reduce the maintenance (without losing the comfort). Any advice or experience is appreciated!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I really dislike sectionals for seating but that said , down packs and needs fluffing if you are not into it get the replacement . As for those makers I do not have any idea and you do realize you only have 3 seats with either so pretty much just a sofa in the corner. If you post your floor plan we might be able to give you better options for seating.

• Laura L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Patricia! We are set on buying a sectional -- we want to be able to squeeze our family of four on it for movie nights. :) In your opinion, will the "down alternative" be as soft and comfortable as down?

• James Prime
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I don't own The Sloan, but am looking to purchase it and am in the same position you are. I was concerned about the cushions as well, some reviewers said that they didn't hold up (like you mentioned). So I chatted with ID about it, and asked if the poly-fill kept better shape. They also said they are only slightly less soft than the down. The person helping me said they did, and that they are reversible. I'm still waiting on my swatches... Did you end up buying this couch?

• User
    3 years ago

I think the joybird is the better choice for two reasons:

1. I think it's better looking.

2. polyfoam cushions are definitely going to hold their shape better than down.

we have a joybird korver sofa -- different style, but also has polyfoam cushions. three years so far and the cushions have not lost their shape yet. we really love this couch! I can definitely vouch for the quality.

• Katie McCormack
    3 years ago

I’m also deciding between those couches. I’m concerned about recent reviews about joybirds service. Curious about what you landed on and if you’re happy!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Love my sectional for our family of five! Joybird looks better to me :)

• User
    3 years ago

Katie McCormack what are they saying about the service? if it's slow: note that pretty much all places are having supply chain problems due to the pandemic, and production is likely slower if they have to have fewer / socially distanced employees in their workshops.

• Laura L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update: I went with the Joybird Lewis sectional, and I absolutely love it!!! I've only had it for a week, so time will tell in terms of pancaking cushions, but as of now, it's so comfy and I would recommend it to anyone considering. I didn't have any customer service issues -- I got a notice to schedule delivery when it was ready to ship, and that went seamlessly too.

• User
    3 years ago

wow, you got that fast! I'm glad you like it, thanks for the update!

• stegonwheels
    3 years ago

Any additional impressions?

• Amy Van Newkirk
    3 years ago

Laura - thanks for the update on your purchase! Any additional things learned since owning it for a while? We're debating between a Joybird & ID as well, so first-hand accounts are worth a lot.

Any photos you could share? Also, do you have any kids/pets who might be harder on a couch? We have two dogs and we're looking for something that can stand a lot of punishment.

• Amy Van Newkirk
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the update & photo! That's super helpful. :) I also just got a pretty good coupon from Joybird so... we might just go with them! Thanks again!

• User
    3 years ago

that looks great! I love your living room. I might have to steal your vingage suitcase idea -- I have a bunch that I don't know what to do with anymore (but can't let them go).

• Devin Sloan
    3 years ago

Really curious about Interior Define, seems like a LOT of negative reviews for their customer service if you search for it. Some comments about the quality being dodgy over time as well. So unfortunate I was planning to get the SLOAN but will most likely cancel my order and go with Roam & Board CADE despite the huge cost difference. Seems like you'll find some really bad reviews for anything budget friendly :(

• HU-936520953
    2 years ago

Hi - is this couch still holding up? I saw other reviews that the cushions wore down after about a year and this would be about 11 months for tiu now, right?

• Laura L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s still holding up beautifully! No issues whatsoever yet.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Laura, did you get down or down alternative cushions in your Joybird sectional?

• Laura L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't believe I had a choice with Joybird. The down/down alternative option was with Interior Define My joybird sofa has "2.0 high density polyurethane foam combined with layers of fiber."

• F L
    2 years ago

I have ID Sloan for 3 years now and just bought another one for my sister. I had great customer service, including helping design my space with their furniture specs, great fabrics and samples, white glove delivery etc. We love the couches, looks great as day 1 and super comfy, tons of kids and guests, we really use them well!

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

FL, which of the cushion fills do you have and do you need to do a lot of fluffing? Also which fabric did you get and what are yoir impressions of the fabric?

• F L
    2 years ago

I told them I didn't want it to look worn and need fluffing so I got what they recommended, I dont remember but im pretty sure it's not completely down, the chair cushions are holding up very well, not looking worn etc. The back cushions could use fluffing here and there but nothing that bothers me at all. I got the performance velvet, and a tweed for the ottomans, it's held up great in the last 3 years, looks new. I clean it with their recommended product. Not expensive, got it on Amazon.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

Thank you, FL!

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

ID must have changed the arm style of the Sloan since then though.

• F L
    2 years ago

You're right, I went to double check after your comment, mine is Owens, I guess I was considering Sloan and misremembered! Either way, big fan of the company from my experience so far.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

F L, Thanks again for posting a photo. Looks like it is in great shape!