Trumps To Attend Space X Liftoff Despite NASA Warning NO Visitors

mr1010

All month here in Florida news reports from NASA have been asking the public to stay away and not

show up for the liftoff May 27 due to concerns of Covid 19. Their website even lists NO VISITOR

tickets or watch packages. They don't want people showing up due to fear of spreading C 19.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events/events-calendar/2020/may/rocket-launch-commercial-crew-spacex

So what does our speschul CIC decide to do ? Show up for the liftoff. He just announced he's going.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1923064/trump-heads-to-golf-course-says-will-attend-space-launch

this is like the "Crazy Drunk Uncle" who wants to show up for Christmas. What are you gonna do?

SaveComment48Like2
Comments (48)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna7

Block his motorcade from coming in. I am SO tired of his antics...

5 Likes Save     Thanked by mr1010
barncatz

He's been tested. And he needs the footage for an ad. And no, his campaign won't be paying for the trip.

THE PRESIDENT:...And I’m still here. I’m still here. And I tested very positively in a — in another sense.

So, this morning —

Q Negatively?

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah. I tested positively toward negative, right? So, no, I tested perfectly this morning, meaning — meaning I tested negative.

Q Have you taken the antibody test yet?

THE PRESIDENT: But that’s a way of saying it: positively toward the negative.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by mr1010
foodonastump

Yeah positive/negative is a little counterintuitive; confused me too first time I heard it as a kid.

As for the spacex visit I can’t get too excited about that. He’s not part of “the public.”

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

OT: When DD was in third grade, she went through a bunch of tests for ear infection, strep etc. and was off school recuperating. She asked me to mail a letter to her principal, "signed" by me, in which she had written "Name" will not be coming back to school. We had her tested for genius and she tested positive."

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Good for him. He is not “the public”. He is the President (even though there are those who still haven’t accepted it)

5 Likes Save    
KennsWoods formerly kentrees

Local TV is saying 200K are expected. Brevard County has been encouraging visitors since the launch date was announced.

Save    
artemis_ma

He's actually not part of the public - not a big deal either way if he attends the launch.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Trump is the boss.

4 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

The boss of vindictiveness, diarrhea of the mouth, callousness, one could go on...

3 Likes Save    
barncatz

lurker, that's a very un-American way of thinking about politicians. We think political office deserves respect, not adulation. Trump's model is more like a celebrity - and celebrity worship is pretty American - "When you're a star they let you do it do it. You can do anything..." ETA: we also think politicians, even the President, work for us, not that they are our Boss. Putin, OTOH, is clearly the boss, so perhaps you were confused. vgkg, just read your post - you said it well!

I repeat, Trump wants the footage for a campaign ad. Then he'll go "backstage" and chew some unmasked fat with the space bosses.

Save    
mr1010

Now Pence has decided to come watch too. ABC NY just said local officials have not decided whether or not to allow visitors to watch from the beach.

Around here, locals flock to liftoffs and this one is pretty special so the point is, I'm

sure Elon Musk discouraged a public spectacle from POTUS since originally they did NOT want spectators.

Save    
mr1010

Remember this is not a typical space liftoff. Space X (Elon Musk) is the one calling the shots of this commercial venture- NASA is just the provider.

Save    
lurker111

NASA said no visitors, not Musk. Musk doesn't have authority over NASA or Trump. Trump is the boss and not a visitor. I know that's hard for some of you to accept. :^) Trump could ban Musk from going if he wanted to.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“Trump could ban Musk from going if he wanted to.”

how?

Save    
steve2416

Why does everyone just let clownface and the vp flaunt the rules and go where they are not wanted? He's not a boss I recognize.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Trump works for US (albeit poorly) and WE are His Boss. The only category of "boss" that fits trump well is Mob Boss.

11 Likes Save    
steve2416

I should have been more discreet when describing Trump (even though I have no respect for him) so I apologize to everyone on this board - I doubt he reads it, too wordy.

Save    
olliesmom

He is the President of the United States of America.

That's the facts folks.

3 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

An unfortunate fact as it has turned out to be.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a

how?

What's more powerful than a pen and a phone? A Sharpie and a smart phone. :^)

1 Like Save    
barncatz

He is the President of the United States of America.

Drain the Swamp

1 Like Save    
mr1010

Actually SpaceX- Elon Musk is the commercial client who has a contract with NASA,

the service provider, to do this commercial space flight. This is totally different from

a regular NASA flight. Commercial flight. Musk SpaceX is the 'decider' as Bush would say. NASA is providing the site and brains, leasing them to Musk.

This is NOT a US government sponsored space flight.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Of course, as always. ^^^ Trump isn't going to pull the plug on Musk, but he could. In an instant.

Save    
olliesmom

Musk made the right choice. He took the red pill. Many will follow.

Save    
Olychick

Red pill...koolaid...same thing.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I bet they'll be very pleased he's there. Lots and lots and lots of conservatives in that NASA group. I've got some family members who'd love to see this one and so wish they could join Trump:)

2 Likes Save    
mr1010

Actually Musk has admitted Trump is not on his favorite people list. Musk said

he was "screwed over" by Trump after Musk agreed to sit on 2 advisory boards

to advise Trump on important scientific matters. Then shortly after Trump wanted to pull out of the Paris Peace Accord and he made fun of global Warming/Climate change. Musk felt betrayed and immediately resigned the advisory positions.

So there's some bad blood there through experience. Like many other successful

businessmen, he was let down by Trump.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Around here, locals flock to liftoffs"

Yes, they do and so many of our CO Lockheed people (who weren't the lucky ones to attend a specific liftoff) cheer on those liftoffs (even those not involving Lockheed). TVs are set up around the Lockheed facilities and it's a big event full of a lot of pride and emotion. Even when I was growing up, Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg were regular trips for my Dad. It was and still is always cool!

Was the recent Atlas 5 launch (a few days ago) watched by spectators? I once worked as a programmer on a Titan/Centaur team but never had the pleasure of being sent to see a launch.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

don't know about visitors for the Atlas 5 launch, Ann.

I usually watch from my farm- if no major clouds usually it's a beautiful sight.

they're all exciting to watch except for the tragic Challenger, saw that one too.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

lurker111

Yesterday at 8:13AM

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a

how?

What's more powerful than a pen and a phone? A Sharpie and a smart phone. :^)

———

Assuming that the President *can* interfere with a private corporation in the pursuit of its legal private business, in your opinion would it be appropriate for him/her to do so?

Save    
Ann

"glad to see this post which was previously deleted by someone here, was re-instated. Sure didn't mean to upset someone. Lurker, you out there?"

Lots of posts were noticed to be gone and are now returning. I think it's wrong to assume whom you may have upset, if that's what you meant by this paragraph.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump insinuates himself everywhere he’s not welcome. He only embarrasses himself but he’s too narcissistic and clueless to see it.

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

Mr1010, good businessmen have to compromise at times. Musk tweeted “take the red pill”. I take that to mean he is a smart man. Good for Trump and Musk.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

Trump and Pence can go as they are NOT members of the public without violating that prescription.. Elon Musk, as a main financial backer of this event, is also not being "just a member of the public". I wish the launch every success. Wish I could view it from where I live!

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I had to look up "take the red pill" and it does not appear to mean what some here think?

2 Likes Save    
mr1010

Is the board acting wonky for others?

Save    
lurker111

Some of the posts are pretty wonky, if that's what you mean.

Save    
deegw

Based on his schedule Trump still plans on going today but the weather report isn't great.

https://factba.se/topic/calendar

Save    
Ann

Man, this is exciting right now! It simply makes one's heart race with excitement, nervousness and pride.

Save    
Ann

I hope my dad is watching from heaven. This stuff was his life long career and Cape Canaveral was almost a second home for him. This is a very cool day. God be with them!

Save    
steve2416

My sister used to work for NASA until she retired but she is probably standing on the beach waiting for the launch.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Awww, scrubbed for today. Weather.

Save    
Gizmo

Ann

Awww, scrubbed for today. Weather.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nah

‘Trump jinxed the launch’: President slammed for bringing bad luck to SpaceX

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Oh come on. 6 of 10 launches are scrubbed due to weather. The Trump comment is simply silly.

Save    
steve2416

I like that one, Gizmo, plus on Saturday when the launch is re-scheduled, Trump will probably be playing/cheating at golf.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

You watch Ann, when trump doesn't show up for the next scheduled launch it will go off without a hitch.

1 Like Save    
Ann

He's supposed to be there on Saturday with Pence but there is a 50% chance of rain. Again, only 6 in 10 launches go. I think the Trump bad luck thing is just silly but you're entitled to comment in whatever way you want within rules and there is nothing against rules in saying you think Trump brought bad luck.

Save    
heri_cles

I'm still processing this. I have some concerns over what a corporate takeover of manned spaceflight could bring, i.e., control over media/the internet, far ranging national security concerns that I can only begin to imagine.

Will "Spaceforce" also rely on private rockets to launch their manned and unmanned vehicles?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Key Measurements to Make the Most of Your Bathroom
Fit everything comfortably in a small or medium-size bath by knowing standard dimensions for fixtures and clearances
Full Story
Your First House Could You Live in a Tiny House?
10 things to consider if you’re thinking of downsizing — way down
Full Story
Downsizing House Hunting: Find Your Just-Right Size Home
Learn the reasons to go bigger or smaller and how to decide how much space you’ll really need in your next home
Full Story