SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11817809

Opinions on Pottery Barn Big Sur sofa

User
3 years ago

My husband and I just ordered the Pottery Barn Big Sur sofa and ottoman in the chambray brushed performance basketweave fabric. Does anyone have any experience with this particular sofa and how it holds up over time?

We’ve gone back and forth about which sofa to get for years, and this was the only one we agreed on. Before we ordered it, I looked for reviews for it but could only find ones for other sofas. Now I’m nervous that we made a mistake. I included a pic of the sofa we ordered from the catalog, we chose the exact options as the one in the photo.

Comments (188)

• Srae Christensen
    2 years ago

@karenlizzo We are considering purchasing Big Sur and wondered if you bought the deep or the standard seat depth? Thank you.

• HU-327642582
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Srae Christensen We bought one of each! We ordered them two months apart. We originally planned on buying the deep seat for both sides of the room, but realized that the extra width would partially block a hallway. I definitely suggest measuring your space. We worried it wouldn’t fit through our 38” front door, but there was no problem. We’ve only had it for 3 weeks, & are still waiting on the second (regular width) one, but so far we love it! it’s the perfect napping couch! We bought the 106” length, bench seat, slipcovered. i’m 5’ 9” and it’s comfy for me, but shorter friends seemed to need an extra lumbar pillow behind. I think they’ll like the regular width best. Hope that helps! also, plan on a wait. They’re backlogged in construction. We ordered the end of February. But so far it was worth the wait!

• Related Discussions

Slipcovered Sofas: Crate&Barrel vs PotteryBarn

Q

Comments (5)
    I was/am (can't make up my mind!) considering a slipcovered loveseat or sofa for our sunroom. A blog friend recently bought one from Ikea and is very happy with it. Of course, she hasn't had it long. Do you have Ikea? We don't. There is also one at JCPenney (Linden St.) that got good reviews (look at their webpage, then furniture and you can read reviews on the pieces), especially after they changed the covering of the down stuffed cushions. The only complaint I remember reading was that sometimes the feather would poke out. They have since changed the covering. We dont' have Crate and Barrel here and I have not looked at the sofas in our Pottery Barn. It is a smaller store, I don't think they have alot of the furniture. Let us know what you decide! LOL It might help me in my decision. tina
    ...See More

opinions on Pottery Barn Big Sur upholstered platform bed

Q

Comments (6)
    It's AUGUST today ?! How long will you have whatever you buy? What's the SHIPPING on Pottery Barn to your locale? Are you on the floor now? You can't make it to March? lol I like nothing about PB, barring pillows. bedding throws, an occasional accessory. Sorry. Most of my clients don't want what everyone else has . See below: R and B and to below, add Made In the USA, ( N.C Our Promise to You Exceptional Service From free design services to full-service delivery. Best Price Every Day Our prices are guaranteed for the calendar year. Free and Easy Returns Don’t love it? Don’t worry. Return delivery is free. Our Guarantee If you’re not happy, we’re here to help. Reviews Comments about Wyatt King BedWe were in need of a bed right away, but understood the restraints given that we're in a global pandemic right now. It was worth the wait. It's beautiful, well-made. Love the metal slats. No squeaks. We have a hybrid mattress on top and it fits perfectly. Every night has been incredibly restful! I cannot recommend this bed enough. Comments about Wyatt King BedLove this bed - love the simple style - it works perfectly in our master bedroom. Room and board has amazing customer service. Would highly recommened! #sweepstakes ProsGreat designNo box spring needed Comments about Wyatt Queen BedI ordered this bed in the Frond Natural color because it was in stock and ready to ship. The fabric is a velvety chenille and I love it! The color is a true neutral, not too warm or too cool. The bed is really sturdy and does not squeak at all. You don't need a box spring, and if you have a taller mattress (I have a Wink luxury firm which is about 14" high), you definitely don't need one for height either. Buy this bed, it's so cozy, you won't regret it! ProsDurableGreat designNo box spring neededQuality construction
    ...See More

Pottery Barn Big Sur Sectional Sofa with Sunbrella

Q

Comments (5)
    I have had the Sunbrella Performance Slub Tweed in Charcoal since May 2019 and it is not pilling at all. Fabric still looks great and we have two kids and two dogs (who are allowed on the couch). However, I have the (non Sunbrella) Performance Heathered Tweed on my ottoman at is pills quite a bit.
    ...See More

pottery Barn chesterfield sofa

Q

Comments (4)
    I know a gal on IG who has two leather ones. She says it has held up great
    ...See More
  • Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Kevin land fills don’t need to be filled with junky sofas. Many today do not even have hardwood frames!! They’re engineered or laminate!! GARBAGE

• Nadia C
    2 years ago

Purchased my Big Sur in March and just received it at the beginning of this month. My husband and I were sitting, enjoying a cup of coffee, when the couch made a huge cracking noise (we are average sized people, both around 150lbs, in case you’re wondering!). We were noticeably lower to the ground. We’ve had about 3 more cracks since then. Took so long to get it and we’ll definitely be returning. Quality is nonexistant! This couch is a lemon!

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Wow!! So sorry

• Julie B
    2 years ago

Our Big Sur was just delivered yesterday. i wish I had seen these reviews before I ordered. We hate this sofa . Ours too is very hard and overstuffed. The back pillows throw you forward and the seat cushions make your hips sit higher than your knees makiing you at an awkward angle. Before we ordered this sofa we visited at least 3 Pottery Barn stores tontry them out and like it in the store, ours sits nothing like the display models How can they be so different? 😩😩😩 i have made a call to customer service, they better return it, its useless to me

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

It is a piece of overpriced junk. So sorry, but it is true. Another truth is that what many many people can pay, or want to pay for a sofa..........1500 yo 2500, basically.......IS ALL JUNK.

• HU-327642582
    2 years ago

I truly don't understand how we can have such completely different experiences. We love BOTH of our sofas, one 82" regular depth, and one 106" extended depth. Both are bench seat. It did take a few weeks for the regular depth sofa to soften up, but it's perfect now (about 2 months later). If anything I wish the bench seats were a little more firm. But they're perfect for napping on!

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

We still love ours after years of use.. it did take a little extra stuffing over time… the one cushion seating is the best feature for us… and RH was the only other option at the time… way too expensive ..

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Since the long cushions compress over time.. this my be why they overstuff them …the slip covers were the feature I needed as I dyed ours lime green… not a color you can readily find… but integral to our decor

• karenlizzo
    2 years ago

I echo the positive reviews. I can imagine some people have issues with their particular sofa for the same reason we are all having issues- it’s hard to get good help and good materials these days. There are bound to be problems with individual products from any manufacturer. Having said that, my sofa arrived in perfect condition, every guest who sits on it loves it (and we have a lot of guests), and my spouse and I use it daily. We can each sit on an end and both stretch our legs out. The dogs join us too. It’s serving us beautifully in our casual coastal home. I often work on the sofa instead of my desk because the wide arms are perfect for a laptop. It is not junk and the blanket condemnation of it is as junk is unfair and misguided. Moreover, I appreciate the moves PB is making toward ethically made and nontoxic products. I would buy it again and recommend it to anyone.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Forgot to mention wide arms my fave feature too.. wide enough for I-pad ..a must …as I am always looking things up… even while watching tv

• Sarah Sophia
    2 years ago

how deep are the seats ?

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Our seat cushions are 29”-30” deep…I am 5’5”..my husband is 6’2”… we both use 2 lumbar cushions…so shallower would work…but we love the deep seat as it is wide enough to recline and even lay down comfortably

• 555lisalee
    2 years ago

Omg, I am so glad I looked at these reviews...I thought I was going crazy. I got mine Big Sur with double wide chaise delivered and I was like this is soooo uncomfortable. I went to the store 3 times and sat in the display model and talked to 3 different sales people and asked what the heck there is no way this is what was delivered - they of course said it needs time - its been 4 months and still hard as a rock. The back cushions push you forward and I feel like we are falling off the couch. I measured my depth and sure enough it was 3 inches less deep. They are making me a new one which will be delivered in Feb which is fine since I have the existing one but I almost brought my cushions into the store for a manager to sit one. What should I do if this new one has the same hard as rock cushions? Do you think they mellow out and soft up. Ugh this was not a cheap sofa.

• 555lisalee
    2 years ago

Additional comments to my review, when I spoke to PB they were very helpful in putting in a new order for me but now I am concerned I will have the same cushion problem. I am so bummed, I might just cancel this all together but with covid things are taking 6 months and mine did come early and also great service delivering it - I guess I could ask some neighbor kids to come jump on it - ugh!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

There are some things PB does well. Table top, some pillows throws.........candles, candle holders,,,,,,SOME bedding. Kids storage, even a bed frame.

Did I say sofa? Chair?

No. I did not,

Funny, I cut through a PB last week on my way to do a return at the mall. Sat on one at the entry. Said to myself.............." If you think this stuff is comfy, kids, you never sat on a decent sofa. "

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER I'm doing a Colorado mountain home. You dislike PB. Got that. What sectional/brand would you recommend? Not doing PB after these comments.

• murphybee
    2 years ago

My PB Big Sur sectional was delivered today--and I am DISMAYED to be reading this reviews now, after googling "Big Sur uncomfortable." This is the third PB sectional I've owned, and I was totally satisfied with the other two. But this one is just so uncomfortable, and, as everyone said--different from what I sat on at the store. I waited five months for this custom sectional--and I'm SO disappointed. I'll call PB and hope I had as good an experience with them as some of you did.

• HU-802956901
    2 years ago

I see in this thread a lot of "what I got vs. what the floor model felt like", but I don't see anyone discussing what cushion FILLING they opted for. Of course the floor model is going to be the most expensive fill to draw in customers, which is the down blend. We ordered the Big Sur down blend and we sink into the seat and back cushions just like they're pillows. It's a wonderfully comfortable couch. I'm wondering if those who have rock hard cushions chose the polyester fill? And maybe ordered it online without chatting with a PB consultant at the store first? I'm just curious. We ordered at the store with their design team and had a great experience. Our Big Sur is awesome and exactly like the one in the store.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Down Blend just smushes over time. I don’t know how people can stand soft couches

• HU-802956901
    2 years ago

Kathy, that's your personal opinion, which defeats the purpose of my post. The purpose of my post is to help people determine why the couch they ordered isn't the same as the one they sat on, and to give the advice to future purchasers of the Big Sur who know they already love the couch.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Future purchasers who know they already love the couch?? What the heck does that mean. And yes i am giving my opinion which is what people do on this forum

• HU-579529897
    2 years ago

@HU-802956901, doesn’t the Big Sur only come in one cushion filling type (i.e. down-filled)? I’m in Canada btw

• Jaime Webster
    2 years ago

We love ours we've been having it for 1 yr 1/2 and found getting the performance fabric helps a lot if you have animals or kids. Easy to clean and comfy. The extra deep depth I highly recommend getting and its totally worth the wait time! I'd prefer a couch that I can wear in overtime versus it being too soft in the beginning. I do want to add I have five animals and I've had guests over the year and my couch still looks brand new! A couch is definitely what you make it and how you take care of it! The price for the Big Sur is appropriate as well for the quality.

• Nadia C
    2 years ago

Update to my post from a few months ago: our big sur grand sofa basically broke and we were able to get it replaced many months later. The new one arrived and it had a huge stain on the back. Not due to delivery people, it was just shipped that way. Fortunately we had opted for the slip covered option, and pottery barn offered to replace the entire couch. But we decided to just request another cover since we are comfortable with this couch. It is definitely softer than the first one sent to us. We are now waiting another few months for the additional cover.

• Jon Puchalla
    2 years ago

@HU-579529897 You said you have the bench and deep seat variant?

Any chance you can measure from the front of the bench pad to the back cushion (not the lumbar pads). Trying to gauge how "deep" is the depth.

• Christy Shinoda
    2 years ago

Can someone provide me with the big sur back frame height, not including the legs? We have a 30" door frame to fit it through. Thanks!

• Hillary Young
    2 years ago

Just received my Big Sur yesterday and as with other reviewers, it is stiff as a board. My hips and back were killing me after sitting in the chaise for an hour. Nothing like the one I sat on in the showroom. I’m very upset. It was so expensive. I’m wondering if any other reviewer’s had any luck with it becoming more comfortable.

• Janet B
    last year

Hillary Young, I did a test drive of a chair in PB store, heavenly… then ordered 2, what I received was nothing like the store model. I would check what type of cushion was used on yours and compare it to the online description. That too was not the same as mine, hence the reason they had no choice but to accept my return. I’ve read many times elsewhere that RH does the same, people try them in store and not what they receive.

• stefair
    last year

I sat in the Big Sur at the store and then purchased the sectional. It's horrible and hard as a rock. It's nothing like the store model. I'm in the process of trying to make an exchange.

• Bill Torrico
    last year
    last modified: last year

Same issues as with Stefair....we ordered the big sur from PB....double checked the cushion fill....couch is hard as a ROCK. In fact the cushions are so bad it feels like they are pushing you off of the couch. Complained and received replacement cushions...just as bad if not worse than what was originally delivered. Took months and many trips into the store to complain. finally got someone in PB to call us back and talk it over. Long story short we are getting a full refund of the couch. We offered to bring the cushions into the store so they could verify....store declined. Since it has been over 14 months since the first couch was delivered (18 months since we ordered it) the price has increased. We have an agreement with PB now that if we decided to re-order the Big Sur they will price match what we paid 18 months ago. My fear is that we will receive the same hard couch if we re order.

Forgot to add...early on PB sent full replacement cushions...also hard as a rock and so stuffed, unable to zip the covers over the the cushions....

• btydrvn
    last year

I am surprised they are still selling that couch..we have had ours for at least 15 years…and we had all the same problems…but our cushions were down filled …so soft ( and nice) but they flattened out in a very short time… i loved the sofa so much i just kept adding fill ….til it was firm enough …and am happy to this day…i think the new “hard cushion challenge“ evolved from the too soft cushions in the beginning….at the time our couch was very inexpensive compared to the similar Renovation Hardware model that got our attention first…and since we live a long distance from the store…it was just easier to work with what we had…it has been 15 years at least… and I still love the couch…

• jackiekaywms
    last year

God my Big Sur a few weeks ago. I know that the stores have 100% Down on display which is super soft and the most expensive. I got Down-blend-wrapped cushions for a softer feel. Seat is 50% regenerated virgin loose fiber, 45% feather and 5% down solid blend. Back is fiber loose cushion core.
    It’s pretty comfortable and I Love it! It took 7 months to deliver but definitely worth the wait.

• Pat Taylor
    last year

Jamie what fabric is your Big Sur?

• Jennifer Erickson
    last year

Where O where does one find decent (leather) couch? Picture of our tiny house with pan deck in progress :)

• Deborah taylor
    last year

I too am in the market for new furniture, First went to Taylor king, our couch and chair and a half we have now was custom made 22 years ago TK. We had it recovered at 14 year mark. Needless to say the price has gone up drastically for comparable size/style. Have been looking at the big sur with bench seat, not a bad price. No small kids anymore but two dogs. Really not sure what to do. The dealer who quoted prices for Taylor King custom made also suggested Taylor Made portfolio.

• Jeffrey Christensen
    last year

For what its worth, I would stay away from these folks, I had been a loyal customer for over ten years, I have made several large purchases of PB's slipcovered furniture (2 chairs, ottoman, sofa - > $7500 and I can say unequivocally, 2 years later, it doesn't hold up to my wife and I, and we are retired empty-nesters. Glad we couldn't afford this when the kids were young HAHAHA. Bottom line, poor quality, no customer svc, poor value.

• HU-8438718
    last year

We bought two Big Sur sofas. one is ten foot, deep seat. It’s the perfect napping couch! The other is just your regular 3-person sofa, regular depth. we’ve had them for 1 & 1/2 years and have absolutely no regrets! we have the bench seating & it does tend to sink in, but I think that’s what makes it so comfy!

• Brianne Margolin
    last year

Today I was in a PB store in Oregon located inside a busy mall. The Big Sur Square Arm Upholstered Sofa Double Wide Chaise Sectional was in the front of the store (standard 42" and down-wrapped foam cushions). The sofa had been on display for 2 months. The seats were firm, the most firm of all styles displayed. I like firm but the cushions pushed me against the arm rest or into a crack between two pieces. It didn't seem that bad but sitting for 5 mins vs hours is very different. I asked about the firmness and one designer thought the foam cushions were different. PB is using a "soy-based" foam core (usually means a very small amount relative to polyurethane). This may mean they switched suppliers for foam cushions and the new product is more firm. I believe most of their cushions are 2.0 density foam, but this feels more like 2.5 density or higher. The higher densities are more firm. It will eventually incur height loss and reduced firmness retention. How long will that take? I don't know but sounds like a long time from other posters. An all-fiber wrap may have been better for more cushion, down flattens very quickly. The employees said this sofa is best at 47" deep for a media room, but not everyday living. If your store only has standard, take off the back cushion and put a pillow against the back to get a sense of the depth of the Deep version. I'm 5'5" and the edge of the deep is 6 inches above my ankle (I felt like a kid). Great for movie night, but for sitting you would need support (deep comes with lumbar pillows). I would end up sitting on the front edge so the standard 42" seemed deep enough. Without the ability to write reviews on their website, the company doesn't receive constructive consumer feedback to make changes. Returns are the language of complaints they recognize because they have a financial cost. This model is intentional. Good luck everyone 🤞!

• Teresa Karbum
    12 months ago

Just bought the Big Sur Sectional and it has a chemical smell it’s been 2 weeks will that smell go away? Anyone experience this too?

• HU-77565552
    11 months ago

*DO NOT GET THIS COUCH* I am someone who believes in investing in high-quality, long lasting items and although PB once had premium quality that is no longer the case. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am as I believe I spent $8500 on this couch in the performance boucle fabric. It sits in our secondary living space, we travel 2 weeks out of the month and gets MINIMAL usage. We have only had it for 4 months, the entire fabric is piling, the feathers are coming out and it looks like a 1200lb human left butt imprints in the cushions. In comparison to my $1200 living room couch which has survived 10 foster dogs, a newborn and every family member sleeping on it it is insane how much better quality my cheap couch is vs. the Big Sur.

• Jeffrey Christensen
    11 months ago

Different model, same experience. Done with PB furniture.

• vbpete
    2 months ago

I wish I read this thread before purchasing our Big Sur, $5000 mistake. We have had it for about 2 months, The cushions are rock hard and way overstuffed, the only way its comfortable to sit on this couch is to remove the back cushions. The back cushions proably weigh 8 lbs a piece, way too dense.

think I’ll reach out to PB today to see what they say

• Kady Q
    last month

I've owned several PB couches and I 'almost' bought the Carmel with chaise which is basicaly a slighter version of Big Sur which I also considered. Nope, I'm not risking it. I'm on the verge of ordering a Dream Sofa. The cushions have a three year replacement warranty. There are enough reviews on Reddit and here for me to feel comfortable. We know the depth and firmness we like and they offer multiple types of cushion densities. Their site doesn't' have many 'real' pictures but I spoke personally with a rep who sent me customer picks of the model I was interested in and I am super impressed. They are also sending me samples of their entire line of fabrics in the color range I'm interested in for free. The two performance samples I've tested were easy to clean and attractive. The price for my choices is less than PB w/premium fabric.

• vbpete
    last month
    last modified: last month

Wish I read these reviews prior to purchasing our $5000 Big Sur Sectional, it is the most uncomfortable couch we have ever owned. The one we received is nothing like what we sat on in the store, our back cushions are so firm they give you a headache. As other mentioned, they are so over stuffed that it almost pushes you off the couch. I have to remove the 8 lb cushion and just use pillows in order to relax on the sofa. I called PB and they said its because I ordered Performance fabric, its made to order so your out of luck. Never again Pottery Barn , was looking at some West Elm items too but wont give this company any more money

• btydrvn
    last month

The over firm cushions were a response to the original versions of the couch.. which had cushions that flattened out too quickly with normal use.. we have had ours for 20 years and have had to add stuffing .. over time …to keep it firm enough for us..but we still love the couch after 20 years.. tho’ I do wonder if we had gotten the Restoration Hardware version..at double the price.. if it would have had similar problems?

• btydrvn
    last month

Part of our motivation was that we needed a custom color.. that we could only achieve by having the slipcovers dyed..

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

You are all warned please!

This stuff is junk. The end. Ditto Restoration Hardware.

You are better off prowling Home Sense! Tripped on an eight way hand tied Hickory Chair in there the pother day. 1499.00, an oatmeal linen. Wracked my brain for someone who could use it.

Almost everyone needs a couch, wants a couch. But buying one these days is like sending a five year old out to buy a car. : ) Risky.

If all an interior designer did for you was get you a great couch? Not some online take your chances thing? It would be money well spent.

• btydrvn
    last month

I will also say Pottery Barn was known more for style ..than quality..back then all their furniture pieces were copies of other .. more high end.. products…