Nearly half of Twitter accounts pushing to reopen America may be bots

deegw

Nearly half of Twitter accounts pushing to reopen America may be bots

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/05/21/1002105/covid-bot-twitter-accounts-push-to-reopen-america/

In a new study, the researchers have found that bots may account for between 45 and 60% of Twitter accounts discussing covid-19. Many of those accounts were created in February and have since been spreading and amplifying misinformation, including false medical advice, conspiracy theories about the origin of the virus, and pushes to end stay-at-home orders and reopen America.

SaveComment15Like1
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I think you could safely make that assertion regarding anything trending on Twitter.

Save    
dandyfopp

They are very easy to spot.

1 Like Save    
deegw

There are some who apparently have trouble. But it's the mask wearers who are the sheeple.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

When the comments are duplicates of other posters I have always considered those posters to be bots. The only question I have is are they mechanical, someone using a list of sites, or is a work from home group that the more postings that they make the more money they receive. There may be a few that just parrot the latest talking points but those are in the minority.

Save    
Stan Areted

Earlier, the narrative was that more than half of twitter accounts about COVID were bots.

Now it's about reopening the country.

DOESN'T MATTER. Tweet tweet.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

amplifying misinformation, including false medical advice, conspiracy theories about the origin of the virus, and pushes to end stay-at-home orders and reopen America.

Quite a bit of this has found its way onto Hot Topics.

7 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Of course they are. For example, Guv Whitmer polls went up after the invasion of the State House by gun-toting protesters. And they really approve of her decisions - she even has support among Trump supporters.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Jonnygun, agree totally. Nearly everything that blows up on Twitter is boosted by bots.

Save    
lurker111

I remember when they removed the fake accounts from FB. Trump lost about 5 million followers. Hillary lost over 20 million. lol

1 Like Save    
ak_ok(6b)

My account is constantly flagged for "bot like activity" and I'm suspended. This "study" means nothing.

1 Like Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

^^^^ maybe you're really an AI bot?

Save    
jmm1837

Maybe she's inadvertently retweeting bot-origin tweets.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

I remember when they removed the fake accounts from FB. Trump lost about 5 million followers. Hillary lost over 20 million. lol

Many of those who follow Trump do so to be informed of his next insane tweet.

Save    
Olychick

Is this the twitter purge you're referring to? 10,000 bots pretending to be Democrats trying to harm Hillary's campaign?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-twitter-exclusive/exclusive-twitter-deletes-over-10000-accounts-that-sought-to-discourage-u-s-voting-idUSKCN1N72FA

or this? the 50k+ accounts linked to Russia harming Clinton?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/19/twitter-admits-far-more-russian-bots-posted-on-election-than-it-had-disclosed

or the 9 million Russian bots released to affect the election?

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/19/17990946/twitter-russian-trolls-bots-election-tampering

or this that claims 60% of the Pandemic President's followers are fake?

https://qz.com/1422395/how-many-of-donald-trumps-twitter-followers-are-fake/

Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

I make it a point to only follow real people and organizations. I am also careful who and what I RT or like since it is a professional account.

I will get these weird bots that follow me with names like JoeG773301. They follow women only so they are super creepy. I block them as soon as I realize it's a bot. But, yes, tons of bots.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Most Popular 25 Design Trends Coming to Homes Near You in 2016
From black stainless steel appliances to outdoor fabrics used indoors, these design ideas will be gaining steam in the new year
Full Story
Travel by Design Madam C.J. Walker’s Villa Lewaro: A Beacon for Women
The New York mansion of America’s first self-made female millionaire holds out the hope of success through enterprise
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
With over 24 years of experience, we are a leader in the home organization industry. We aim to provide our... Read More