Confusion around getting a Corona Virus test in Brooklyn, NY

KarenS, NYC

Well I hear testing is becoming more available in my area, so I'm trying to get tested. Have had varying throat symptoms for the last couple of weeks, but thankfully no fever, no fatigue. Am watching carefully as my lungs are vulnerable, I smoked for 42 yrs.

So I've made multiple calls & am getting mixed messages, including one that said I wasn't eligible for the test as I had no fever, even tho' I'm over 60 & have an underlying respiratory issue.

Calls for tests apparently go to call centers, coordinated by Dept of Health, they're supposed to send me to the nearest testing site, which is about 4 miles away. Yet they have no info on my local hospital, which is an accredited Trauma Center, which is half the distance as the place to which I'm being referred.

So .... frustrating .... grrrr, am told testing is free, just bring my ID.

I plan to try the Hospital first, supposedly they set up tents outside. If I can't get tested there, I expect to go to the further place, which is supposedly offering free, walk in type testing.

Curious if others are looking for testing, finding it or confusion or both.

Pls share your Covid Testing experience. TIA

SaveComment25Like1
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Karen - The only reason I can think of to get tested is if you’re concerned about passing it on to members of your household. Is that your concern? Your post makes it sound like you’re concerned about yourself, but what would you do with a positive test?

Save    
KarenS, NYC

Well I wish to know for myself, even tho' I'm single, no dependents.

Was laid off mid-March when employer locked down. Was recently asked to consider coming into the office (Manhattan, subway commute) where I work w/ 8 other people, most older than 60, most w/ large families.

Were I sick or contagious, there's potential for me to expose more than several people. I'd feel awful if I made someone ill. I care for these folks, next month is my 11 yr. anniversary w/ them.

Also, if testing positive, I'd want to look into donating blood plasma after the requisite waiting time.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Ok, makes sense Karen. From the screening questions I’ve seen I doubt you’d qualify medically but possibly as a front line or essential worker. I guess it’s a matter of finding the right place.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Why is it so difficult to get tested in NYC? I was under the impression that NYC had a robust and well funded public health department.

Save    
bob_cville

Maybe because of the incompetent dumpster fire response from the federal government which amounts to screw all of you states and cities. You are on your own.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by KarenS, NYC
Stan Areted

Poor little governors can't run their own states and make decisions without being told what to do and expecting federal dollars to compensate for their lack of planning, poor fiscal policy and mismanagement, and incompetence?

We see them, starting with Cuomo sending Covid patients to kill lots of Nanas and Papas that were minding their own uninfected lives in nursing and rehabilitation homes.

2 Likes Save    
KarenS, NYC

"We see them, starting with Cuomo sending Covid patients to kill lots of Nanas and Papas that were minding their own uninfected lives in nursing and rehabilitation homes."

Source pls. These were lies the last time they were posted & called out for it then. This did NOT happen, nor was it passed into law. No amount of repeating lies will EVER make them true.

4 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

So, why cant you go get a test Karen?

I can get a test, and have been able to for over a month.

You are in one of the most liberal and affluent areas in the entire world and cant get one. Seems like a local failing to me.

1 Like Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Several NYC people I know got antibody tests at CityMD. Walk-in. I think it’s the same for a Covid test.

Save    
mudhouse

I don't understand why some states are able to make testing easily available, and others are not. My own state has steadily opened up the parameters for testing. Right now, anybody who has any kind of employment doing anything can now be tested, even if they have zero symptoms. I'm guessing it helps that we're a sparsely populated state.

Even so, my state still advises using the test centers set up instead of going to the hospital directly. You call the hotline number on the state website, and you're directed to a location.

As somebody who's spent too much time with a spouse in the hospital in recent weeks, I appreciate people going to test centers specifically designed for Covid testing. It helps reduce the load on hospitals, who also have to be ready to deal with the usual range of non-Covid health emergencies. Ours are now starting to schedule some non-essential hospital procedures as well; just my two cents.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

For those saying they can get a test in their area without problem: Have you actually gotten a test, or merely heard that it is possible and available?

From the OP in NYC it is supposed to be possible and available, but the personal experience of KarenS has shown the actuality to be different than what is claimed.

It is easy to claim that anyone can get tested. Trump has been saying that for a couple of months. However he has been lying that entire time.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by KarenS, NYC
foodonastump

For those of you who think anyone in your state can walk in somewhere and get a free test without qualifying under some screening criteria, please post a link to that facility.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Anywhere I look I see messages like this, showing that you must be approved. In other words not just anyone because they feel like it.

Save    
foodonastump

I don’t have any problem with your post, aside from the odd assertion that your ability to get a test is somehow influenced by your demeanor. But I’m sure you just added that for color. I also wasn’t responding specifically to you but to anyone who thinks it is easy to go and get a free test somewhere, without prequalifications.

Save    
mudhouse

foodonastump, I'm not sure if you were referring to my post, and I'm not saying all states are operating the same way.

bob_cville, I'm retired and asymptomatic. I don't need a test, and haven't tried.

In NM, on May 12 they announced that tests are available for any worker, as this article states:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-mexico-opens-covid-19-testing-to-all-workers-in-state/ar-BB13YTsE

There are three sites in my city; on the days I've checked, at least two of the three are open on any day. Two are drive-thru sites, and one is a walk-in site. You no longer have to get screening from a physician in my state; you can go through your doctor, or through the testing site itself. The website says "we suggest you call the test site at the number provided before you go in to ensure that the hours of operation and their screening requirements are up to date."

I would imagine, if you call as suggested, they discuss whether or not you meet one of the following criteria:

https://cv.nmhealth.org/public-health-screening-and-testing/

I listen to Governor Lujan's weekly pressers. She's now actively encouraging people to go be tested.

I don't know why some states seem more able than others; I'm just trying to add info to the thread. My county's population is around 209,000. The state website shows we've had 11,472 tests in my county, so between 5 and 6% of my county's population has been tested to date. We've only had two deaths in my county.

Save    
bleusblue2

Stan Areted

Poor little governors can't run their own states and make decisions without being told what to do and expecting federal dollars to compensate for their lack of planning, poor fiscal policy and mismanagement, and incompetence? ...

~~~

Planning and *mismanagement starts at the top.

At the top there is a management option called Coordination.

The message from the top is "You are on your own -- unless I disagree with your plans."

1 Like Save    
gail618

I've been told that CityMD in NYC is a good place to go for both the Covid test and the antibody test, no charge. It says you need to meet certain criteria but I'm not sure how strictly they are adhering to that. No appointments, walk-in only. At the one in my neighborhood they only allow one or two people in the waiting area and the rest have to wait outside, spaced apart. I've heard early in the morning when they open you can walk right in. Do you have one nearby?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Thanks mudhouse, great to see that they’ve been able to recently open that up. With a state less than 1/8th the population of Karen’s NYC, things will look different. And in a blue state with a dem gov party isn’t the difference.

Best to you and your spouse; I just read that for the first time. I’m in and out of hospitals and doctor’s offices too, so I know the added concern.

Save    
mudhouse

Thanks food. It's been a hectic month, but I remember reading that you've had to drop off a parent at the ER more than once, and I hope that turned out OK. DH is on the road to recovery. And neither one of us is complaining quite as much about how we have nothing exciting to do, during the shut down. Excitement can be overrated.

Save    
KarenS, NYC

I'm back & I succeeded in getting a COVID 19 test. Given Monday's holiday I should hear back Tues if I have it, maybe longer if I don't.

Was able to get the test at a special tent set up & specifically designated so alongside my local Coney Island Hospital (the Trauma Center), saved me a trip to the further place. It was done w/ a nasal swab, quick & pain free. Since I had insurance, they took my insurance card & noted it. Guess it'll be billed; seems the tests are free for those w/ no insurance or any other means to pay.

The combo of my cough, sore throat, underlying respiratory issue & age qualified me medically, so no problem there.

It was found I have an ear infection, I was prescribed antibiotics for that. Seems the throat symptoms may be related to the ear infection.

Mostly importantly, I'm grateful to learn my lungs are clear & my oxygen saturation was great; all excellent findings!

9 Likes Save    
mudhouse

That's great news Karen! I appreciate hearing from someone who's been through the actual testing process.

1 Like Save     Thanked by KarenS, NYC
Suzanne Central Pa 6a(6a Central Pa)

I was tested a couple weeks ago. I used the Rite Aid web site to schedule.

Click on Learn More, then choose your state.

This program is intended to expand access to COVID-19 risk screening and testing. It is not intended for people experiencing severe symptoms such as severe cough, severe shortness of breath, severe fever, or other concerning symptoms who may need more immediate medical care. Please visit the CDC website for information on what to do if you are sick.

https://www.riteaid.com/#

1 Like Save     Thanked by KarenS, NYC
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)
Save    
KarenS, NYC

Good news, just got the call. I tested negative for Covid - yipppeeee! They said if I need the results in writing, to go back to the Hospital where I was tested.

They DID confirm my understanding that testing negative today, doesn't mean I won't get the virus next week or the week after; it just means that I don't have it now.

4 Likes Save    
Linda

So happy for you! What a relief! Yes, it's really important to know your status, because first, if you had it, at least you know what it is and if necessary will get help more quickly. Second, you needed to know whether to quarantine or not.

Save     Thanked by KarenS, NYC
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Sheltering at Home Cleaning Routines to Keep Your Home Virus-Free
Follow this CDC advice to make sure your kitchen, bathroom and other high-traffic areas are clean and disinfected
Full Story
Most Popular My Houzz: Walls of Art and Glass in a Brooklyn Loft
Eclectic collections, vintage furniture and favorite artworks personalize this 1,000-square-foot open-plan loft
Full Story
Materials Your Guide to 15 Popular Kitchen Countertop Materials
Get details and costs on top counter materials to help you narrow down the choices for your kitchen
Full Story