Trump pyramid scheme lawsuit will go forward.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

This is fascinating. The lawsuit involves Trump, Ivanka, Don Jr. and Eric. The plaintiffs are saying they were swindled by the Trump family.

The class action plaintiffs allege that the Trump family business promoted a multi-level marketing, or pyramid, scheme known as ACN Opportunity, LLC. ACN, the plaintiffs said, was a “get-rich-quick scheme” that relied on Trump and his family “conn[ing] each of these victims into giving up hundreds or thousands of dollars,” in violation of various state laws.

Link

SaveComment30Like3
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paprikash

Absolutely fascinating............

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Absolutely fascinating............

Should be . . . .

Judge Deals Setback to Trump Family: Ugly Pyramid Scheme Lawsuit Likely to Unfold in Public

A federal judge sitting in the Southern District of New York has refused to stay a lawsuit alleging that Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Jr., Eric Trump, Ivanka Trump, and the Trump Corporation committed “various business torts,” including engaging in an illegal pyramid scheme. [ . . . ]

Count 3 asserts the dissemination of untrue and misleading public statements under California law. Count 4 asserts unfair competition under California law. Count 5 asserts unfair and deceptive trade practices under Maryland law. Count 6 asserts unfair and deceptive practices under Pennsylvania law. Counts 7 and 8 assert common law fraud and negligent misrepresentation.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"the plaintiffs said, was a “get-rich-quick scheme” that relied on Trump and his family “conn[ing] each of these victims into giving up hundreds or thousands of dollars,”

Why would a supposed multi-billionaire need to fleece people? He must be innocent.

4 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Interesting, wonder what unfolds.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

And justice for ALL.

Save    

He leaves a trail of destructions wherever he goes. Everything he touches turns to you know what.

2 Likes Save    

He leaves a trail of destructions wherever he goes.

Natural born grifter; exhibit 1 is Trump University.

Trump U was in the news during the primaries, so his current problems and behavior should be no surprise.

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

That's good.

There was another trump family scam involving a condo building in Baja California. I believe it was settled, he probably paid off some amount as people were slated to lose money so maybe investors got something back. Cannot remember all the details. These people cheat and defraud as a normal business MO.

3 Likes Save    

I believe it was settled

Trump settled the class action lawsuit by buyers who lost their deposits on condos that were never going to be built.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

More corruption: Moderna executive appointed to project Warp Speed.

Save    
bleusblue2

He leaves a trail of destructions wherever he goes.

Natural born grifter; exhibit 1 is Trump University.

Trump U was in the news during the primaries, so his current problems and behavior should be no surprise.

~~~\

Now now Nancy -- don't get into that -- the trumpi fans don't care -- since it wasn't their kids or themselves who signed up for that high priced education. So some people got swindled by the President and his family. So what?

Save    

There was also something about Russian buyers and financial shenanigans with Russian financing involving his NYC Trump Tower property. Here's something

https://investigaterussia.org/players/felix-sater

Save    
graywings123(7)

The Wilkipedia page on ACN is fascinating. Wikipedia

Among other things, it has this link:

ACN and Trump

Wikipedia explains it like this:

ACN, Inc. is a North-American based multi-level marketing (MLM) company[6] which provides telecommunications, energy, merchant services and other services, depending on the country, through a network of independent sellers who also can recruit other sellers. Based in Concord, North Carolina, United States, ACN began operations in the United States in 1993,[2] it is now made up of ACN Opportunity, LLC and ACN Communications Services, Inc.[7] As of 2019, the company reports that it operates in 24 countries.[8]

ACN's income disclosure statement bears the warning that "not all ACN independent representatives make a profit and no one can be guaranteed success as an ACN independent representative."[11]

From 2006 until he announced his presidential candidacy in 2015, ACN had a business relationship with former The Apprentice executive producer Donald Trump. Trump spoke at ACN events, featured their products on an episode of The Apprentice, and took part in ACN promotional videos.[16][17][18][19] Following the official beginning of his 2016 presidential candidacy, all references to Donald Trump were removed from the ACN website, and Trump distanced himself from the company in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "I know nothing about the company other than the people who run the company," Trump told them. "I’m not familiar with what they do or how they go about doing it, and I make that clear in my speeches."[20]

Save    

Wayback machine could unearth some dirt I'd bet.

Save    
barncatz

Just from what I read in the papers about the Complaint, I bet Trump is going to pay some money to make this go away.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

That’s what he always does—buys his way out of jams.

Meanwhile we have this to look forward to from Michael Cohen:

“I am so glad to be home and back with my family. There is so much I want to say and intend to say. But now is not the right time. Soon. Thank you to all my friends and supporters.“

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Interesting...though it won't mean squat to his supporters who either forgive or ignore all his other scams from trump u to his foundation...

1 Like Save    
paprikash

To err is human; to forgive, divine.

Save    
Iris GW

So we don't need laws? Not sure what your point is paprikash.

Save    
lurker111

"Thank you to all my friends and supporters.“

Sounds like he lost his mind in prison.

Save    

Can they even pay to get out of this? They are accused of fraud. Isn't that criminal?

Save    
dandyfopp

Crime time waiting for Donnie and fam after November- the reason he is already hollering about voter fraud.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Trump will need to have plenty of money to fight on the litigation heading his way after he leaves office, hopefully, in January 2021.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

His supporters simply don't care if he breaks laws, pays bribes from campaign funds or operates fraudulent charities to line his own pockets...they just don't care.

Mind you they care big time that Biden's son may have done something , not sure what, when sitting on the Burisma board.

4 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Trump has taken control of the Judicial branch with Barr and his S Ct nominations so he isn't worried about anything like this., at least not while he is in Office.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

jerzeegirl, this case is a civil action from people allegjng they suffered financial damage from Trump and his family who vouched for and encouraged them to invest in a worthless pyramid scheme i.e. knowingly defrauded them. Proving "knowing" is the hurdle for the plaintiffs. Trump has undoubtedly claimed he just read a commercial script for the company, much as he reads his flat-voiced tributes to the bravery of American coronavirus "warriors" and grief at the loss of life.

There may also have been criminal fraud statutes that applied to Trump's behavior but he and his family weren't charged criminally.

It's a homerun in terms of your burden of proof when you can piggyback your civil case onto a criminal guilty plea or verdict; but it isn't necessary for your civil case to proceed.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Won't some lawyer bring it to the Supreme Court?

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

We also have the precedent with bill clinton that a sitting president *can* be deposed for a civil matter while in office...

Save    

I guess the judge dropped the RICO charges last year which would have made it criminal. They really a family of grifters.

The lawsuit alleges that Trump's dealings with ACN, a "get-rich-quick scheme," spanned from the mid-2000s until shortly before he kicked off his presidential bid. It further alleges that Trump and his family never disclosed their relationship with ACN as they bilked potential investors out of millions by claiming they had a "reasonable probability of success" if they invested hundreds of thousands more to participate.

"The Trumps conned each of these victims into giving up hundreds or thousands of dollars — losses that many experienced as a devastating and life-altering," the suit claims. "Surely the Trumps dismissed these amounts (and the lives they wrecked) as trivial. But by defrauding so many for so long, the Trumps made millions.

Save    
barncatz

jerzeegirl, I'm no RICO expert but the statute also provides for a civil cause of action under certain fact patterns. I also read that the civil complaint originally alleged that claim in addition to fraud. As you say, the defendants' motion to dismiss the civil RICO claim, or summary judgment motion more likely, was granted by the Court. I gather they are tough claims to marshall

Again, I don't believe prosecutors charged violation of the criminal statute. And alleging the allowed civil cause of action does not transform it into a criminal case.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Cabinets A Two-Tone Cabinet Scheme Gives Your Kitchen the Best of Both Worlds
Waffling between paint and stain or dark and light? Here’s how to mix and match colors and materials
Full Story
Most Popular Going Solar at Home: Solar Panel Basics
Save money on electricity and reduce your carbon footprint by installing photovoltaic panels. This guide will help you get started
Full Story
Home Offices Glam Home Offices for Go-Getters
Get motivated to do your best in a home office that looks its best
Full Story