Have you been out since restrictions changed/lifted?

llucy

I live in central Ohio. In the past few weeks, my state has been easing/eliminating previous restrictions, while also enacting 'best practice' measures for some businesses required to be open.

My father was able get his 'check up' CAT scan and subsequently see his pulmonary Dr at a hospital recently.. Both my parents had haircuts last week with their barber/stylists. So far, they have felt the new precautions taken have made them feel a bit safer in these venues.

Restaurant dining rooms open today with mask (servers) and distance (patrons) requirements. My father looks forward to resuming his two mornings a week breakfasts out with friends, but worries it might not be safe enough. My mother and I feel the same way about our once a week lunch out. "If we get there when they open at 11 - and out before it gets busy..." we want to try, but are nervous. Maybe we will, maybe not.

Anyone care to share their own experiences and feelings about resuming activities that were paused the last 2-3 months? Practices which make you feel more comfortable? Less comfortable?

SaveComment123Like
Comments (123)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

The virus hasn't changed. We still have no vaccine, no cure, no treatment and inadequate testing for the virus and antibodies, so no. I'm not planning on changing anything. I'd only make an exception for a necessary dr appointment. Otherwise, we're in status quo mode.

15 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Haven't been out, no plans to go out for anything that isn't an emergency.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Yes. Mexican food. Stevie Tomatoes food. Steak house food. Mani and pedi. Teeth cleaned. FREEDOM

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I go out sparingly, when I need to. I am expecting things here to improve, the Sask. govt. has ramped up testing for next week. Anyone who wants a test before they go back to work can get one. You will no longer need symptoms, or possible contact with a Covid suspected patient to qualify.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Felt safer - and that meant safe enough to get the car filled for the 1st time since maybe March 1st. Chose a town with a several weeks old mask policy. Also visited an ATM (for the first time since February) - outside one (so no lobby to enter).

Have an appointment for mid-June for a haircut. The shop owner is being protective of his employees and also customers. (They are operating all 7 days with the re-open - fewer customers and more time between them.) If it doesn't feel safe, won't do it. Pretty sure they'll close up again if it doesn't look safe.

Save    
AnnKH

We work from home, DH buys groceries every other week, we get takeout food periodically. We don't go anywhere (even walks around the neighborhood) without masks. We talk to our neighbors from 20 feet away, outside only. No haircut, no routine dentist appointments, certainly no bars or restaurants. Now that restaurants in our state are open, we will only be getting takeout from places that are open only for takeout.

One of my adult kids moved home with us, rather than isolate alone in his apartment 300 miles away. Last week I gave him a haircut; DH hasn't reached that point yet (he might just let his hair grow long).

Is it inconvenient? You bet it is. Yesterday we (hubby, 2 adult children and I) were supposed to leave for a 2-week trip to Germany. It's disappointing that we can't go, but we are all adults, we'll get over it. We're staying home.

11 Likes Save    
Nana H

Things haven't really loosened up here much. Nurseries are now opened with restrictions so might do that tomorrow. Golf courses have opened but our favourite course, very close by, is staying closed. We do plan to go golfing in the next few days. Wish they would move faster on the elective surgeries.....

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Why would you wear a mask for a walk around the neighborhood?

1 Like Save    
AnnKH

Because other people are also out walking in the neighborhood. One can't always pass on the sidewalk with sufficient distance.

Besides, it's not hard.

7 Likes Save    
AnnKH

Our garden center does curbside pickup. I didn't get exactly the annuals I might have chosen for myself, but I'm more than happy to make that tiny sacrifice to get all my flowers and veggies without spending time in a nursery with narrow aisles.

I ended up spending less, since there were no impulse buys!

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

We don’t plan on venturing out anytime soon. No mask mandate here and too many not wearing them. We do curbside groceries and last time delivery person was not wearing a mask and many people not wearing masks going in and out. I will not order from them again. I will research which stores require masks. We’ve done take out twice no issues with food, which we reheated ourselves—not ordering cold items yet. Again, in one instance delivery person not wearing mask.

I had a telephone appointment with dr and I am due for bloodwork. I have an appt for that, done in her office, and to see her in a few weeks. I am nervous, but I agree with dr that they can’t do telephone appts forever—-at some point they need to see patients in person and do bloodwork. My only concern is we have no guarantee that lab techs and other personnel aren’t going to bars and restaurants or wearing masks away from work. You can’t social distance to draw blood.

They are reopening our tennis and pickle ball courts here tomorrow for 4 hours a day with strict guidelines—-singles only, unless it’s members of a family, sanitizing balls and hands before play, sign up times so 20 people don’t show up at the same time, etc. DH loves both but he says he’s not ready yet—will wait and see how it shakes out.

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

I am out daily. Here is where I feel relatively safe, and why:

The grocery store - I stay away from anyone within a 20 ( ish) ft. range if they are not wearing a mask ( the approx. distance of forced exhalation of a cough. I have been in the store when someone sneezed, and I immediately left.) Workers are abiding by protocols, and as long as I keep the grocery list short, I can minimize close contact.

Outdoors - easy to remain distanced.

Any retail space that I don't have to stand in line with- The goal is to avoid prolonged exposure, so if there is a line to get in, then the store has max capacity, and there may be a wait to get through checkout. I'll come back when there are fewer shoppers.

Coffee shops with outdoor seating, but no menus or waiters. Service is observable, and the increased space makes it a bit safer, I think.

The doctor's office - the waiting room has been nixed, I am immediately taken to an exam room, and because this office treats older patients, and has hospital privileges, they are not messing around with cleaning measures or ppe. They wear shields in addition to masks, and are a scrubs only operation so they don't carry the virus around on clothing that can not be properly cleaned.

Here is where I don't feel safe - all other restaurants/ take out. Workers are not seen, and there is no way to know who is doing what in the kitchen. I have witnessed a restaurant employee replace his mask when I entered. I exited, and personally won't try it again until there is a vaccine.

Salon/ barbershop - prolonged contact at close distance makes no sense to me. Mask or no mask, there are potential points of contact with hair, clothing, sign in sheets, waiting areas, rinse stations and the chair. Coughing or sneezing will break through the mask barrier pretty easily, as will conversations - the louder, the more expressed air. Just no.

I should add that neither eating out nor haircuts are a huge priority in my life, so this is not sacrificing anything for me other than convenience. I get curbside pickup everywhere I can. Your family will ultimately have to weigh their need for friends and family into the equation as well. Best to all of you.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by llucy
Stan Areted

Thanks for sharing your experience, studio 10001.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I went to the grocery store last Saturday with DH (both masked). I wrote our list so it corresponded with the different products in the store so it was easy to pick up things along the way. Everyone pretty much kept their distance except at the checkout line when some guy started encroaching on my space. I quickly moved forward to be 6 feet away. I think he did it absent-mindedly - not with any grudges in mind, but who knows what's going on in other people's minds. This was our first grocery store outing since March 9. It was both exciting and scary at the same time!

Save    
Iris GW

We haven't changed our behavior since the beginning.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

I have been out but can not remember how many times. I combine trips when I have gone out so have lost track. Two garden centers. One did pickup the other has one person and easy to distance. Only place that was iffy was the convenience store where I picked up milk twice. Tomorrow will have my blood drawn and depending on weather will go to Iowa to lay flowers. Will combine with a visit to a peony grower. Then in a week doctor's office.

In March when someone stated that this was a hoax I decided to order necessities, cat food, and live on what I have in the house. I did not feel unsafe the times I was out but I was quick to do what was needed and leave. I am more concerned with the next month with the people who have been staying home and are now returning to group settings. My lungs were damaged working in a sick building and when I get it unless medicine has improved I already know that I am dead. I accept that but the rest of the extended family is having a hard time with it.

Save     Thanked by llucy
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I've gotten so used to grocery delivery that I doubt if I will ever switch back to going to the store itself again!

Haven't had a haircut in some time, but noticed the other day that I rather like my longer hair--so I may not get it cut again for some time.

Had a televisit with my two doctors a couple weeks ago. Went all right, but I'd probably prefer to sit in my doctors' offices and converse person to person.

I've been picking up my prescriptions at the pharmacy drive-through window for several years now, so continuing that has been no problem.

The only thing I've really missed is going to the nurseries to browse around and pick out flowers to plant in my spring gardens. However, it turns out lots of plants can be ordered online and delivered. Not as much fun as checking out all the blooming plants, but good enough to get my gardens going nicely.

Oh, yes--one thing I really miss: exercising a couple times a week at my physical therapy center. Not sure when I will feel safe enough to return to it.

Today I did have to go pick my son up at the car dealership. I was amazed at how many semi-trucks and cars were out on the road. They were everywhere, and creating near traffic-jams at several intersections. And they were all driving a bit fast --certainly intent on getting somewhere as quickly as possible. I had to shake my head a couple times to come back to reality--and before I got run over by impatient drivers! That was all certainly different from our usual experiences on the road in this area.

I mainly have no desire to go anywhere where I might be forced to mingle too closely with bunches of other people. I still want masks and space.

Kate

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Nothing much will change here. We'll still grocery shop when needed and order Hot take out food when we want. I went to Lowes today to stock up on home project materials. All ventures out include N-95 masks and hand sanitizer once back in the car. Eating at restaurants & hair cuts are on hold until this experiment runs it course for several weeks.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I've gotten so used to grocery delivery that I doubt if I will ever switch back to going to the store itself!

Amen, sister. (Excluding farmer's markets.)

Parks, beaches, hiking trails are open, but seeing last weekend's non-adherence to guidelines at Venice Beach, I'll likely stay away.

Otherwise Los Angeles County stays the same as far as shelter-at-home restrictions; next review of Covid status in the county will be early July.

The original coronavirus prediction for California was that the peak would be in May -- this seems to be the case in So Cal with LA County at a stubborn plateau.

Robin Abcarian of the LA Times on her experience at Venice Beach:

Plenty of sunbathers are violating coronavirus beach rules. Why aren’t they getting tickets?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-20/beach-rules-no-citations

Save    
barncatz

We had gotten weekly pickup from a local restaurant. We're WI but our local restaurants have stayed closed except for takeout. Since the Court decision, a couple are now offering takeout you can carry to their outdoor spaces. But as the tourists are now coming back, we'll stop takeout. They don't need our support now and since DH's firm reopened in the adjacent state, we're not eating lunch together. He's leaving his clothes downstairs for a couple days and changing before he comes up. That may be overkill - his office building is not crowded and everyone at his firm is masked - but I didn't see a downside to it, either.

Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

South Florida, what can be said. Up until last weekend very few people out and about, as of last weekend as if nothing had ever changed from pre-covid times. 80/20 mix of not vs wearing a mask and I'd say 90% not physical distancing.

I only go to Costco every other week and went 1 time to Lowe's for mulch. Costco was ok as they were requiring masks and marked floors with stopping spots at check out and most people kept to that. Lowes was a joke, big sign at the garden center entrance said EXIT ONLY but plenty of covidiots waltzed right in within inches while I was waiting to check out.

Praying I can continue to WFH and have no plans to go anywhere else anytime soon except for this weekend I am donating blood to see if I possibly have antibodies as there's high likelihood I had covid-19 in February.

Save    

This was an interesting article -- to me at least -- as it deals with Venice, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades.

While Ben Affleck may have paparazzi waiting for him to exist his home, no one here will be surprised that no photographer is waiting to see me step out in my ratty sweatpants to weed the front garden.

What Do the Paparazzi Do When the Stars Are Quarantined?

More FaceTime means less face time, but the celebrity photographers are still shooting away.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/style/paparazzi-celebrity-photos.html

Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Why would you wear a mask for a walk around the neighborhood?

Because other people are also out walking in the neighborhood. One can't always pass on the sidewalk with sufficient distance.

Besides, it's not hard.

Same here. I don't wear a mask while biking (though I have one with me), because it's generally easy to avoid others (I do bike rides around 6:30 a.m., in the quiet of the morning, so there's not a lot of people around anyway). Walking around in the neighborhood, though, is a different story.

Save    
ohiomom

I am doing what I did during the shutdown ... I wasn't quarantined and people who say that have no idea what the word means. Walk in and out my door at will everyday if I pleased then and now.

When I was in my local store this morning I was thinking how quickly we customers can walk out if people are not wearing masks/practicing social distancing and we are not feeling safe ... but the employees don't have that luxury do they?

So remember when you go out and about that although you might have contact with one clerk/waiter/bartender etc those people have contact with hundreds of people a day and some of them obviously do not give a flying fig that the person they are getting service from did not sign up for this. They are performing a service, some necessary some for folk's pleasure only. Please show some consideration for them and their families.

Most establishments you enter require shirt and shoes for service, wearing a mask is such a small thing to ask.

Peace

6 Likes Save    

Such a good comment it needs repeating:

So remember when you go out and about that although you might have contact with one clerk/waiter/bartender etc those people have contact with hundreds of people a day and some of them obviously do not give a flying fig that the person they are getting service from did not sign up for this. They are performing a service, some necessary some for folk's pleasure only. Please show some consideration for them and their families.

3 Likes Save    
chisue

DH and I are retired Seniors, playing "Home Alone" since March 2. He is healthy. I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma two years ago. I only *need* to go to the cancer center here once a month for labs and chemo. Everyone there is masked. I have an N95 and communicate with my oncologist by phone and email.

Ours is an affluent and conservative small city north of Chicago. It had an early blip of positives, mostly care homes, but our population includes world travelers. Covid-19 deaths have been 2/3rds care home residents.

DH wears a surgical mask to CVS and grocery. (Clerks thanked him in March; now our city requires masks in shops, with 95% compliance. ) He required an appointment to use our bank box yesterday (staff masked). Our HVAC tech services our system this morning (masked). Next door, our neighbors' son had a drive-by 3rd birthday last week. Our city beach opens Saturday, staff masked and distancing requested.

Our two grands (15 and 9) are learning from home and our DIL is teaching calculus from her basement 'video studio'. DS's flip house is under contract; he'll do another soon. They are all 'at home' and do curbside pickup for groceries. DS and DGS went to a garden center last week -- have an annual veggie garden. They will come visit us next warm day -- sit out on our terrace, distancing.

Glad to be in Illinois, where the state closed early and is now 'steady' in virus cases. Testing has risen to 6% of population. I'm nervous as we go into more openings. If my hairdresser's shop opens I will ask if she can come to my home and cut our hair if we are masked. I will not risk going into the small (3 chairs) shop, and I'm letting my hair go grey now.

The couple in our Maui condo did their 14 day quarantine in late March; plan to stay until early June. Hawaii is doing well after lockdown; they'd have the same at home in San Francisco. Her sister and family in Germany must wear masks anytime they leave the house.

I fully expect this virus to be with us for at least a nother year and expect a deep recession, worldwide.

Save    
Stan Areted

maifleur

My lungs were damaged working in a sick building and when I get it unless medicine has improved I already know that I am dead. I accept that but the rest of the extended family is having a hard time with it.

maifleur, you have mentioned something along these lines several times and it has caught my attention because I empathized somewhat with similar underlying conditions and with what we were hearing and reading, just figured if I got it I was a goner and it would be stressful for family members.

Might I suggest that my attitude has improved, especially since knowing someone that has this that had all the TOP underlying conditions, not nearly as in good health as I am or I am guessing you are, and that person is recuperating. I'm sure you have seen people over 100 beating this, and yes we hear the scary stories we hear almost every one of them, not the thousands of stories people of all ages recovering from this, or not being on ventilators.

Taken with a grain of salt, the newest information is that this virus is likely not as transmittable by surfaces as we thought, although even a Yahoo article today explained our masks don't do a lot to keep us from getting this virus, while a day or so ago a study in the East said masks help by 75%. So we don't know. I suggest you do what I do, and that is look up your state's daily count of numbers, in particular your county. Look at the differences in numbers each day and the rates at which they go up, positive tests of course don't mean as much because we are getting more testing, and the deaths tend to increase about 3 weeks after the positive tests, but you can see a pattern if you chart it. That's what I'm doing and have been since the beginning of that information being made available, in making informed decisions since more people are out and about--what the death numbers look like in about 4-6 weeks. What I am able to do is to remind myself that a very small percentage of 1 percent have died in my region. And, not all those were actually due to COVID itself.

I have been privileged to know some very brave, smart people that consider the evidence and have decided they do not want to live what life they have afraid and wondering, which is easy to do these days. These people have blessed me by reminding me of why we are here. Some of us are more cautious, some more brave, we need both to help one another along. But with reasonable caution, I'm ready to get back to living and savoring life in every way.

Please don't assume you're done for it you happen to acquire this virus; I no longer think so either, and positivity does a lot for our immune systems, our mental health, and overall well being. Hang in there, I'll bet we'll both be posting a year or two from now! Same to everyone that is discouraged.

12 Likes Save    
Jamie(SW TN 7b/8a HZ8)

We haven’t gone out for anything special. I’ve been to the grocery store (usually pickup but I don’t put in an order this week so I went inside today). We’ve been to Walgreens and to the plant nursery a few times. I wear a mask inside but not outside. I’ve been working form home since March and will for the foreseeable future. My better-half is a banker and can’t work from home but all of their branches are drive-through only, unless you make an appointment to come inside. One of our neighbors and a friend have visited with us outside on the patio a couple of times.

we postponed a trip to Hawaii but have one scheduled for the gulf coast in August. We can cancel in July, if necessary. I’m content to stay on the patio (the condominium is beach-front) and listen to the waves. We can walk on the beach and pretty much avoid large crowds. The restaurants will all be offering take out meals and we can cook in the condominium.

we drove up to check on my parents on my birthday in late April. We stopped once to fill up with gas, but that was it.

Save    
Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse(5)

I had a hair appointment earlier this month (May), stylists and clients all wore masks and there were fewer stylists working to allow sufficient spacing between their stations. A maximum of 10 people (stylists and customers both included in that number) at a given time and until your stylist was ready for you, they had customers wait in their cars rather than in the very small waiting area by the door. They also had the receptionist bring a mobile payment device to you so that you wouldn't need to pay at the front desk which is also in the very small waiting area by the door, and they'd also take that opportunity to schedule your next appointment. I felt that they'd done all they could to make my appointment as safe as possible though.

I go do the grocery shopping about every 10 days-ish, and by myself. The kiddos have been doing e-learning/'homeschool' since schools were closed in our state. We're hoping that schools will resume on-campus instruction in the Fall. The mister is considered an essential employee by his employer so he goes to work M-F as usual and I have him change clothes, putting the stuff he wore that day directly into the washer before he comes upstairs (he enters through the door from the garage to the basement level). So far we've all been lucky and nobody has gotten sick from covid19 or anything else. I do occasionally stop by my parents' house 10 minutes away to visit them through the door. though I did visit one time and stood on the driveway while my mom was tending the plants in their front yard. They are in their 70's and while I know my mom wishes she could go swim at her gym like she was before all of this, she is making do and getting exercise around the house for the time being. Neither of my parents think it's safe to start resuming their full normal activities yet.

Save    
Iris GW

A longtime friend of mine (childhood) keeps posting - > boasting about not wearing a mask while everyone else does. I just don't get the desire to crow about flaunting recommendations while others follow them.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

It's no different than bragging about wearing a mask.

Not important either case.

4 Likes Save    

It's no different than bragging about wearing a mask.

Except wearing a mask protects other people while not wearing a mask does nothing to protect others.

Important distinction.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Not really, it just makes people feel safer and in this together.

Besides, we don't know who has immunity, who is sick, who is not.

A sick, infected mask wearer can infect a healthy person, while a healthy, uninfected or already protected person with antibodies without a mask can pass by someone and not infect them.

It is a GUESSING GAME, no one KNOWS.

In any event, bragging either way doesn't change what happens.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Stan and others I have a small tracery of scar tissue on the outside of the lobes of my lungs. I have expanded it slightly with singing so I can live a somewhat normal life. I have to be pragmatic about what will happen if I develop any lung infection.

Having been quarantined once in my life. If people would actually be staying home there is little difference. If you are going and getting takeout and groceries you are not staying home.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

I understand playing it safe, maifleur. I know that lung issues--from scar tissue, to lung disease, to interstitial lung disease, cancer, compressed lungs, one lung, eosinophilic asthma, autoimmune diseases, 24 hour oxygen requirement--all of those issues have frightened many but it's not a done deal, especially since we know much of the damage is to the red blood cell/oxygenation process, which of course doesn't let people with lung issue off the hook, but it's not always a death sentence even for people with some of these problems.

I agree--every time we're out around people there's an opportunity for infection, and I have avoided being close to anyone at all, grateful to be able to do so. However, there is a reward/risk ratio which will call to even the most determined to avoid this disease, at some point.

We each do what we feel is best given the options we have, and we can choose.

Thing is, we need others to get out to test the waters, so to speak, that are less vulnerable, and hopefully develop herd immunity.

Stay safe, stay positive.

7 Likes Save    

^^^^ must be really good koolaid to have grown people forgo common sense, never mind that every reputable doctor in the world advocates wearing a mask to protect others around them...

1 Like Save    

So wear the darn mask.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

So wear the darn mask.

So don't waste your time giving impotent directives to other people when you have no right to do so, or any business doing so.

I already said if I'm around anyone I plan to, at least until I decide not to.

It's NO ONE'S RIGHT TO give directives to others.

Wear your mask at home, wear it anywhere, it's not your right to make someone else wear a mask, especially when we know any mask we have does not protect us from getting or giving the virus.

This is another liberal shut up and do what I say I know better than you attempt to control others. I would think after the election of President Trump people would learn that's not going to fly, and after this huge mess of 2 million will die it's only a cough wash your hands don't wear a mask spray your groceries nonsense, it certainly WILL NOT FLY.

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

Florida man who downplayed coronavirus as ‘fake crisis’ gets infected, warns others after ending up in ICU with wife

"Looking back I should have wore a mask in the beginning but I didn’t and perhaps I’m paying the price for it now but I know that if it was me that gave it to my wife I know that she forgives me and I know that God forgives me,” he added...

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/florida-man-who-downplayed-coronavirus-as-fake-crisis-gets-infected-warns-others-after-ending-up-in-icu-with-wife/

1 Like Save    

at least until I decide not to.

It's about respect for those around you when out in public -- those providing essential services in public places, those unsung heroes that keep our communities functioning, plus lightening the load on healthcare professionals who certainly do not need more Covid patients to treat.

9 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Well bring out the flag, who knew! LOL

Save    

^^^^ what is it, common sense and respect for fellow humans not a concept or?

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

yes, groceries. Gas and home.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Commonsense behavior is Virtue Signaling. Saying you wear a mask to help protect others is boasting. Good grief.

This is so like shouting fire in a crowded theater. Your rights end when they afflict my rights and vice versus. Cant for one we agree to work on this together? If we don't we can all die together. This is enlightened self interest in a nutshell.

3 Likes Save    
Gooster(9)

We're in the midst of re-opening to the next phase here in California. Most of the northern part of the state moved to re-opening last week, or this weekend, except for the Bay Area. This involves opening restaurants for dine in (with distancing and new protocols) and small scale retail. We've had takeout and curbside -- I even went into Office Depot about a month ago, during the peak. We had our first takeout last week, though, and I'll likely stick to that... the next step will be outdoor dining but we'll wait to see how it goes. Gatherings are not yet permitted, and churches are saying they'll test the ban starting the 31st. Also, certain casinos are signally an intent to open, although the largest and most popular are staying closed. Some large gatherings have already sparked the first spike of cases, in places that had very low levels of cases.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"... especially when we know any mask we have does not protect us from getting or giving the virus."

And, there it is.

We know this. We wear masks to protect others. And we greatly appreciate those who are doing the same for us.

1 Like Save    
elvis

We only go out occasionally for groceries, Post Office, mask (N95) and gloves. We clean the groceries, let stuff "decompress" in the garage for a few days if it's not perishable, etc. All the precautions. Family lives nearby, we have no physical contact. We're fortunate that we can do this.

We will reassess whether/how to reopen our business (it's "essential", but we closed anyway) soon.

We don't want covid-19, but we recognize that many others could be out and about, if they're in a lower risk group.

The locals here seem to very acting very sensibly, it's the flatlanders we locals are concerned with. The invasion has started.

I think you need to do what feels right for you. Now the CDC says not to worry about surfaces...but wash your hands. Huh?

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Have to check what source the CDC used for that disclosure on surfaces.

This quote makes it sound simply like an editorial decision ("usability testing" is about how the material is viewed by the user):

"CDC spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund said Thursday that the revisions were the product of an internal review and “usability testing.”

“Our transmission language has not changed,” Nordlund said. “Covid-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/21/virus-does-not-spread-easily-contaminated-surfaces-or-animals-revised-cdc-website-states/

Save    
HU-5213567

...Now the CDC says not to worry about surfaces...but wash your hands. Huh?

———-

i KNOW. i don’t get that at all. i read that as - “go ahead and put groceries in your pantry and frig. BUT wash your hands after.” that makes no sense to me.

prior to Covid, i readily admit i rarely washed what i brought into the house and after Covid is no longer community spread i will probably revert to that because #lazy. but i don't want to be a spreader. so, until it is not community spread or i have antibodies i will continue to quarantine x3 days whatever doesn't need refrigeration and wash/disinfect what does. i will also wash my hands after handling items from the market.

1 Like Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

I've been on lockdown since the end of January. Not because of the virus, but because I hate, loathe, despise, and detest winter. I would use other words to describe the frigid winters, but it would get me into trouble.

If it wasn't for my daughter taking me to dinner for my birthday, I wouldn't have left the house in January at all.

DH has done all of the shopping and fetching, but he's resigned to being responsible for that every winter. Unless he's taking me shopping in Florida, I'm not going outside in the winter unless the house is on fire.

This past weekend was beautiful so I went out to the garden centers and shopped 'til I dropped. Then I brought plants to my daughter-in-law so that she and the grandkids could get the containers ready for their deck. I have completely enabled them when it comes to gardening.

The jailbreak felt good. Hey, there really is a world on the "outside".

No walking on the trails yet as they are still mud pits and the bears have been active and increasingly bold this year.

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

So Ohio started the re-opening on May 15th and on Thursday May 21st the coronavirus numbers jumped up to over 700.

Eat, drink and be merry because, well you know the rest.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

I was limiting my trips to the grocery store, gas station and post office mail drop but sadly my father passed away in February of this year and I have been winding up his and my Mother's trusts. With respect to the trusts, most of what work cannot be handled online or at a bank's drive-through lane so i have been going to scheduled appointments at various banks, with all people in attendance wearing masks. I am grateful to the banks for working with me during this difficult time.

8 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Been doing some reading about how the folks doing the serving in various capacities view people who choose not to wear masks... it ain't pretty and I don't blame them.

I don't think I would want to eat the food served to me by someone who thinks I am at best indifferent about their health and the health of their family.

Don't think I would let them get near my hair either. :-)

2 Likes Save    

@ soupgirl, I am sorry to see you lost your father but am glad you're able to move forward with all that needs doing in spite of covid-19. Stay safe and hang on to the good memories.

4 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Thanks, abzzybee.

Save    
dandyfopp

My condolences as well soupgirl, huge loss. Take care.

Save    
ohiomom

Soupgirl my condolences as well.

Dandy how do you think they feel knowing their fellow citizens care only about their hair and nails and toes instead of them and their families. And the sarcasm says more about the person posting/saying it then those service employees that did NOT sign up for this but do it so we can get packages delivered and food and meds to make our lives more comfortable.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

If I post what I have read OM... I get banned with a quickness. :-)

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My condolences, soupgirl.

Kate

Save    
artemis_ma

It depends on what you mean by "out". If you mean going to the town dump, the town post office, and the neighboring town mom and pop style Tractor Supply place, or the neighboring town mom and pop style corner grocery, I've always been out. Maybe once a week... If you mean donating chicken eggs to the local community center, that's once a week, too. (Before I take the eggs over there, I shower down, wash the eggs with the proper egg washing agents, put them in fresh (haven't been used for several months) egg containers, wear a mask, use a paper towel for the center's door, follow their temperature recording procedures once in that door, stay about 8 feet away from anyone else, and then go home, using sanitizing wipe if appropriate. Basically - treat things you might handle as if you were handling raw chicken??

If you mean walking up and down my street, I've always been out when the weather was nice. (But even prior to COVID, if I ran into one other walker, it was a rare occurrence.)

Life in rural America....

I'm doing a lot of UPS and FedEx deliveries.

Am I increasing my "out-ness" now? Not really. I am glad construction workers can go back on their jobs as by and large they can socially-distance better than a lot of other occupations can. Our other occupations and places to shop will open gradually over the next few weeks, with an eye to any increase in cases.

There are things I won't buy on line - because I need to see/test them first. But none of them are critical to me at this time. Y'know, the "needs vs. wants" ratio.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

Paprikash - I quarantine all packages outdoors on the porch (we have no porch pirates up here) for two or three days. Now that it is getting warmer, I will have to bring in the MisfitsMarket packages earlier, but I have plans in place.

PS, I got my hair cut March 11th, when I last went down to my old home state of Connecticut. I'm good to go for awhile. And men, you really do look good with longer hair... (Although my brother looks like he's got a permanent case of bed-head... Just call it the COVID-Cut, and deal...)

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Paprikash, that post is dangerous - as it doesn't have the appropriate disclaimer.

1 Like Save    
how2girl

My condolences soupgirl53, thinking of you.

Save    
how2girl

No change really. Planned to paint the house before shutdown occurred & purchased all the painting requisites. Still painting the house :-(

Only going out for necessities, groceries, post box, dog walking.

Because our state has fared relatively well - 9 deaths in total, runs of days with no new cases & no one in hospital, restrictions have been relaxed. Restaurants can open but are limited to 20 patrons at once, we can have gatherings of 10 (previously 2) with social distancing (1.5m), can now travel beyond previously restricted boundaries.

Our state border has remained closed because we don’t want cooties to come in from other states. Football starts up in a couple of weeks, with no spectators at the stadiums.

Having said that, when grocery shopping yesterday (try to do it once a week max.) a lot of people were carrying on as though there are no restrictions in place. Annoys me greatly & I told two ignorant people specifically to back the F off.

On hair cutting - I just don’t get the urgency - according to the U.S Center for Disease Control, hair grows at an average of 0.50 inches (1.25cm) per month. This means the average person can expect to grow 6 inches of hairper year.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

10 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Artemis, I admire your energy and the egg donations!

1 Like Save    
llucy

artemis: There are things I won't buy on line - because I need to see/test them first. But none of them are critical to me at this time. Y'know, the "needs vs. wants" ratio.

Since my state started *re-opening* I've been thinking about how my family's routines have changed since covid and wondering how/if they may change as we continue on. So much does come down to a needs vs. wants ratio.

I've avoided "big" stores and supermarkets for almost 3 months because I felt the bigger the store, the larger the number of people in the store, the greater the covid risk. I've found I've neither needed, nor particularly missed going to those stores.

In non-covid years, my mom would have planted her flower gardens by now. This year she doesn't want to be dodging around other people and standing in line in a humid green house to buy flowers. She's not interested in having an employee pick out flowers to be picked up or delivered either. For her, the want part of the ratio is looking at individual plants, assessing color, number of buds - that's the fun part.

I don't need to go a favored restaurant, but I want to. The want vs. risk ratio is what I'm weighing now.

I wish I didn't have to risk weigh decisions to go out, but it seems even more foolish not to.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Some good SAH news: Last summer I was very upset to see NO BIRDS in our 'bird ideal' yard. (A quiet area with mature trees and shrubs and a creek bordered by wild plants; no cats or dogs.) Right now DH is outdoors with the broom, removing early nesting materials from under our eaves for the fourth time this week. It's not quite 'Hitchcock' here, but wow, do we have BIRDS!

What a blessing, as additional rain (and heat) are predicted all next week. Outdoor Dining by the birds may just save us from being eaten alive.

Condolences, soupgirl53. I felt that the 'wrapping up' provided me some insulation from shock when my DM died, as expected as her death was. Then...time healed as best it could.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Ziemia(6a)

Paprikash, that post is dangerous - as it doesn't have the appropriate disclaimer.

Imagine what it might be like to have a sense of humor and read it again.

See? Funny!

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

^^^^ must be really good koolaid to have grown people forgo common sense, never mind that every reputable doctor in the world advocates wearing a mask to protect others around them...

Only in the interests of sharing a bit of my own reality: DH and I were at four different doctor appointments on Monday and Tuesday. (We don't recommend curing cabin fever with two urgent surgeries like we did, but it did give me an up-close-and-personal view of hospitals and doctor's offices that I hadn't planned on investigating.)

During the follow-up visits in doctor's offices, two of the four doctors didn't wear masks as they visited with us in the exam rooms. One was a cardiologist, the other a cardiothoracic surgeon. (DH and I both wore masks, if you're wondering.) The nurse in the cardiologist's office had her mask down around her neck about half the time we saw her.

Before the first hospital surgery, a third doctor, a vascular surgeon, removed his mask when speaking to us in the hospital pre-op, and the pre-op nurse who put in my husband's IV, etc didn't wear a mask at all. She said she had it, but not on her person.

That was about two weeks ago, and at that time the hospital hadn't yet enforced a policy requiring all hospital personnel to wear masks all of the time. My DH's case manager told me on May 10 that the policy was changing the next day, mandating masks for all hospital personnel, all the time, for the next nine months.

I'm just sharing our experiences. In reality, even people in the medical professions aren't wearing masks all of the time. There have only been two deaths from Covid19 in my county since this all started, and I'm sure that plays a role.

1 Like Save     Thanked by llucy
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Despite the latest CDC pronouncement about surface contamination we're still playing it safe. Esp when it comes to door handles where someone may cough into their hand then open the door with that hand, and then someone comes right behind them using the same handle and then they touch their face. Same goes for gas pump handles and any public place entrances and exits. Hand sanitizer is still a must.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Unlike some others, I know the difference between essential and nonessential. Since the grocery store offers free pickup, I've been using it. It's not my preferred store and I don't always get exactly what I want, but I am grateful to have food without risking my health. I had a tooth with a cracked root so I had to go to the dentist twice. I went into a pharmacy for meds while wearing a mask. That's the extent of it since my last outing on March 5. I cut DH's hair and he cut mine.

The only thing I hope to do this year is to grocery shop at my favorite store which doesn't offer pickup, but that will have to wait until I'm sure there's no second wave coming with everything opening up. I won't go near a department store or restaurant until we make it safely through next winter. I might attempt the farmer's market but only if I go as soon as it opens.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Toby

Unlike some others, I know the difference between essential and nonessential.

Two of us have used the word "essential" on this thread. Who are you referring to, Nancy or me?

Save    
Toby

I'm thinking of all those people on my Nextdoor website who think they need a haircut and the local businesses that are trying to skirt our governor's orders.

Save    
Nana H

Did go to the nursery and quite frankly it was an unpleasant experience.

My idea of an enjoyable time at the nursery is to leisurely cruise about , picking up, putting back when something more interesting catches my eye, trying to decide what to substitute if what I have in my mind isn't available.

The rows were labeled in terms of direction so no easily putting two plants together to see if they click. However, the most unsettling was others patiently waiting as I mulled my choices. I was so preoccupied with inconveniencing others and maintaining physical distancing I could not focus on the flowers. Ended up paying a fortune for pre potted planters..it was just easy and fast.

Won' t be doing that again anytime soon.

Tomorrow is golf ......that will be enjoyable.

Save    
ohiomom

I am thinking of the ones on my Nextdoor that are upset they cannot use the public swimming pool, you know the one/s that all the little kids pee in. Maybe they could sit in their bathtubs and pee in order to get that unique experience. (^_^)

3 Likes Save    

I am going tomorrow to donate blood and then to Costco and that will be it for outings. As much as I would love to go to beach for a swim I am sure it will be crazy crowded especially this long weekend.

At least the weather is supposed to be nice, if hot and humid can be considered nice and my yard will thank me for 3 days of attention.

1 Like Save    
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

Golf back to normal number of players in a group, that is a maximum of four. Social distancing in place and love the temporary rules about not touching the flag pole on the greens and the gismo that stops the ball falling to the bottom of the hole. Those couple of inches less to bend is great for old backs.

Anyway, almost back to normal here on the first of June. The golf clubhouse might be open!

Public transport is a problem that the powers that be are wresting with. I do have a mask which I haven't worn on the open spaces of a golf course. Probably wear it if going to be in a confined space such as a bus or train.

Save    
wildchild2x2

I never really stopped going out. The difference is I have less places to go. I have been grocery shopping, to Target,Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes. Sometimes I have gone alone, sometimes I drop DH off to do the shopping and in the case of Lowes/HD we have sometimes taken the dog and go together.

We have done fast food, BBQ and pizza. Also an old fashioned drive in that has had to close their inside seating but remains open. I go help with horses once a week outside my area. it's the only way to keep up my skills since my county is basically at the mercy of a complete shutdown witch who apparently wants to prolong the pain and closures as long as she can. All the horses at my regular barn had to find temporary homes until this insanity is over.

Entering stage 2 has made little difference. I was able to get DH to the eye doctor finally.

Had a plumber over the other day who was quite relieved when I told him to feel free to unmask if he'd like. Shook hands after. Felt good to be normal.

I feel most vulnerable standing in lines with masked people. Few are wearing them correctly, they keep touching them, moving them and some "face coverings" are a joke. Yet all these people appear to have a false belief they are being safe. People who are unmasked seem much more mindful of their surroundings and offering space to those around them. I have avoided wearing any face covering so far. I have a cotton bandana in my truck I have cut in half to make thinner just in case I want to avoid confrontational situations. But so far, so good. I probably won't need it since I don't fear confrontation anyway. LOL

I don't get to see extended family. The only people I really see to talk to are neighbors and at the ranch.

Never bought into the fear of touching surfaces thing. I can wash my hands and that is what I do.

I really miss the beach and "our" horses. I miss being moving freely outdoors. So stupid to be able to walk somewhere but not stop and eat lunch at a picnic table. I also miss going to late night diners and chatting with friends.

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Wildchild

“Had a plumber over the other day who was quite relieved when I told him to feel free to unmask if he'd like. Shook hands after. Felt good to be normal.”

You know that covid19 exists in diahorrea from infected patients, and that plumbing equipment that he handles is used on multiple households?

3 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

So sorry for your loss, Soupgirl.

Save    
wildchild2x2

You know that covid19 exists in diahorrea from infected patients, and that plumbing equipment that he handles is used on multiple households?

Good grief this wasn't the rotor rooter guy.
He installs water treatment systems and gas lines. Doesn't do that snake a toilet stuff. But even if he did I am sure he would wash his hands or wear gloves. He used several pairs of gloves during the process anyway since sweating copper pipe gets dirty too. Sheesh, mask madness.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Most of the world isn’t going back to shaking hands.

2 Likes Save    
llucy

" People who are unmasked seem much more mindful of their surroundings and offering space to those around them. I have avoided wearing any face covering so far. "

My experience grocery shopping in the last 6 weeks has been different. Unmasked people were the ones most likely to be oblivious regarding how close they were to other shoppers. Coming within inches of others while talking to each other. Mask wearers seemed in the main, (not all) to be more patient, mindful of personal space.

Might have a demographic component? More mask wearers appeared to be over 45. The most oblivious non-mask wearers appeared to be late 20's/early 30's.

2 Likes Save    
Rina

"Yet all these people appear to have a false belief they are being safe."

Wildchild, no, that's not it. You wear a mask not to help ensure your own safety, but because the mask helps to limit any viruses escaping to be breathed in by OTHER people. It seems that one can't say that often enough for it to be understood by anti-maskers. And so far I've seen no expert opinion that the mask is not effective in that way, so it's not a false belief. But that is why it's estimated, I think, that you need 80% mask compliance for it to be effective in reducing transmission. The only way you can contribute to it being effective is to wear a mask. (Currently mandatory away from home in South Africa, where I live.)

4 Likes Save    
Lucille(9a)

I went to my apt complex mailroom recently, after a month I had to clear out my mailbox. On the way I saw one of the apt pools full of kids and parents playing and swimming. This morning I saw a headline that Texas is leading in the spread of the virus.

Dumb bunnies.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I've had an EGD and a steroid injection in my foot that was supposed to be done when the shutdown pushed those back. Had to be tested and quarantined for 3 days prior to the EGD. I have a CT scheduled for next Friday.

The only other thing I have done is go to my car repair place yesterday for oil change and new brakes, which is out in the country. They put a bench outside and everything is done in the garage part, no customers inside the building.

I'm getting my groceries delivered. I still work and other people from other areas are using our workspaces so they can social distance, but it makes us exposed to more people. So, I feel like I'm probably going to end up getting it sooner or later anyway.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I just don’t understand people who won’t wear a mask. If you don’t want to somewhat protect yourself, at least have regard for your fellow citizens, especially the elderly and those dealing with cancer, kidney dialysis, etc. Is it really putting you out and too much to ask to don a mask for a trip to the grocery, Home Depot, bank?

I also don’t understand this flippant attitude of proudly announcing that you’ve gone to the salon, had your nails done, etc. Acting as if things are back to normal, we’ll never see this virus wane until there is a vaccine, which will be sometime next year at the earliest...if we’re lucky.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

I also don’t understand this flippant attitude of proudly announcing
that you’ve gone to the salon, had your nails done, etc. Acting as if
things are back to normal and we’ll never see this virus wane until
there is a vaccine, which will be sometime next year at the
earliest...if we’re lucky.

I understand it. Those are the ones who have made this pandemic political. They think they are exercising their American rights of FREEDOM. Ironically, as they walk around infecting people in their social circle and at nonessential businesses, it's likely to be people who think just like they do.

4 Likes Save    
olliesmom

I went to lunch with a GF yesterday to a Mexican restaurant. My first time out to eat, but she has been a few times now. Waiters wore masks. Every other table/booth was taken. I never realized how much I read lips, could not understand the guy at all with his mask on. I just answered yes to everything. It was nice though for a change. Went to a couple of retail stores now open. Some wear masks, some don't. I didn't have time for mani/pedi this last week, and don't want to go on the weekend, so I will wait until next week to go. Have hair appt next week too. I concentrate on the 6' distancing more than anything, but wear a mask in the stores, sometimes pulling it down under my nose to breath air instead of Co2, I must be more claustrophobic than I even thought.

Save    
bleusblue2

wildchild2x2

....< >....

I have a cotton bandana in my truck I have cut in half to make thinner just in case I want to avoid confrontational situations. But so far, so good. I probably won't need it since I don't fear confrontation anyway. LOL

~~~~

Very clever. A social contract -- with yourself.

Save    
sheesh(5b)

Hub and I have remained completely isolated since the very beginning. We order groceries online and have them put into the trunk. We have not visited with our kids and gkids except last weekend when our basement leaked and son and his daughter came to help, all four of us wearing masks and keeping our distance. Talk about hard!

I resent all the businesses and people who think their personal selfishness is more important than I am. They are fools who think they are invulnerable because they haven't gotten it...yet. They are the same fools who will demand schools reopen in the fall, mindless of being the very reason we may not be able to reopen the schools.

If only their stupid science denial could affect only them.

Meanwhile, I will continue to stay isolated. And I will not patronize those establishments that are blatantly bragging about reopening without whatever methods of containment are currently deemed appropriate.

1 Like Save    
Gooster(9)

I think many people have seen the reports from officials in Missouri, where a haircutter continued to work for a dozen days and exposed about 91 people in the process. It is somewhat inevitable, just more likely the earlier the reopening. But what I find a little discouraging is that this chain did not have better procedures in place for their franchisees to screen employees. The sylist was symptomatic. Hopefully everyone is OK.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Golfed today, just nine. It was great to be outside. I really missed the social side of it but all in all it was great to be out. Unfortunately the bugs were out in full force. We are now officially in bug season so no more golf for a few weeks. House bound on two bug counts! Black flies and covid

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

We went out yesterday for lunch at an outdoor patio. We are getting ready to go to another one today. I am one of those people who have fallen to this pandemic with anxiety, and pulled a back muscle gardening. All riled up about dying. So I asked myself do I want to sit in the house panic stricken with taking meds and obsessing about dying? My husband got laid off, and drove a nail straight through his finger making a bench for my geriatric dog.

NO- I do not want this to be the new normal LOL

I might as well go out and live during the process.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

I was impressed with my mani/pedi place. They had an alcohol spray for your hands before you opened their door. Next, they take your temperature and have you wash your hands. You had to be masked—they provide if you don’t have. They are all masked. Plexiglass hanging between pedi chairs and they are only using every other one. Plexiglass between customer and nail tech for manicure (I felt like I was in a bank). They are requesting cash only now or, if you charge, they are adding 2.8% to the bill. All these procedures and fewer patrons have to be hurting all these hard working small businesses.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

To be honest for the most part the precautions are such that they render the experience more of a hassel than it's worth. I think things will be a long time getting back to normal .......it's just not worth the hassel to eat out, get my nails done or buy my annuals and herbs. OK I'll likely hold my nose and go for the herbs.

Save    
paprikash

No hassle for me. A pedicure which includes feet and leg massage is pure ecstasy

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

To those who are trying to smear me you can go pound sand. Adults can choose and evaluate risks on their own. I offered the plumber a choice to relieve himself of the mask, I didn't rip it off his face. A young man with a strong work ethic. Hasn't stopped working a day since this nonsense began even though his company offered to let him s SIP. When I am with other adults we also make that choice. if you all are afraid of those of of us who chose to go on living while you cower merely existing, waiting for some miracle cure stay home. It's your choice. And stay away from me when you are out. Masks are for sick people and I don't want any of you within 10 feet of me. That should keep you safe enough too. Wear your filthy muzzles but stay back.

I could cower in fear and wait to go out the day some government bureaucrat frees us and die of stroke or get bucked off a horse. But I make the decision not to waste my current good health and whatever time I have left in fear ,anxiety and putting a hold on living rather than merely existing.

Every day of living life is a step towards death. I'm not going to waste it.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Good for you, wildchild!

Save    
maifleur03

I have gone to Great Clips. I believe that they are a francize operation. The ones in this area are mostly in older buildings. It does bring up something that I have thought about but have not seen confirmed with all the talk about breathing etc. People should shed the virus through their skin not just their mouth and nose. I have seen nothing about the stylist or customers not wearing masks although some probably did not. I think the health department is erroring on the side of caution releasing the information so that people can be checked and quarantined until they find out if they develop the disease.

Save    
paprikash

My stylist quit working for a salon 6 months ago. She set up a room in her home with a regular salon chair and hair washing sink. Perfect timing since I was able to get my hair done on my normal 4 week schedule. My husband’s barber comes to our home so he and I have remained well coiffed.

Save    

Reading this thread brings to mind the old fable of the hare and the tortoise. I guess some of us stroll leisurely towards death mindful to avoid crossing in front of trucks, falling into pits or what have you in terms of things that might hasten the arrival. And some just have to get there first no matter the cost.

3 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

Welcome back to the land of the living queenmargo

3 Likes Save    

"living while you cower merely existing, " Above I said I would probably wear my mask if I had to get on a bus or train. I was thinking more or less along the lines of what if got a sneezing or coughing fit while traveling. Can imagine much alarm among other passengers if this happened while unmasked!

My good lady, also known as the Dragon Woman is most stressed out about her hair. There is no way that I would attempt to cut it. Frizzy, Unruly,?... looks good after professional care.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Reading this thread brings to mind the old fable of the hare and the tortoise.

The difference being in the fable, the tortoise did not spend his time tsk tsking and pointing his finger and complaining about the way the hare got to where he was going.

2 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Interesting how mores have changed among many conservatives, who currently seem, relatively, the instant-gratification sybarites of the times. They want everything they want when they want it, no matter what the consequences, while most of the population is ready to hold steady and defer gratification a bit for the greater good.

Quite a change from my early childhood days, some of which was spent on a cattle ranch homesteaded by my no-frills, hard-core Republican grandparents. No mani/pedis or hair stylists, no going out for meals, no going to town except for specific, non-lollygagging purposes, no vacations, limited TV (only one or two channels, intermittently, and that only after they finally got electricity), infrequent visitors, every day mostly like every other....we did have horses, a lot of cows, and a bunch of other kinds of livestock, and too much wild game to eat (I still remember, as a kid, thinking, "oh god, deer again").

It was still a wonderful life and I still live much the same lifestyle, even while living in suburbia, with a lot more money than was around then, but still without hair sylists, eating out, mani-pedis, etc. etc. (no horses, or venison or beef, either, though -- had enough of that when I was young). Old habits die hard, I guess, and not much has really changed for me with shelter-in-place, except for having to teach online, which is far more difficult than teaching in person.

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

"...conservatives, who currently seem, relatively, the instant-gratification sybarites of the times. They want everything they want when they want it, no matter what the consequences, while most of the population is ready to hold steady and defer gratification a bit for the greater good."

That is like saying all these Libs that dont care about the economy are all old rich white people or poor black government dependents that can sit at home and collect checks- but even less true.

I disagree with your basic premise here. Most of the people I know are either business owners or employees of other businesses. They want to "open for business" because the work of decades is eroding in front of their eyes. Mani/pedis are important to the owner and the employees. Some here have no appreciation for the investments in effort, time and money those people have sunk in to their ventures.

What simple gratifications do you picture they are missing? And sybarites? You think every Republican that wants to reopen is some fat cat rich person missing their luxury?

Most small business owners are tied in knots over lease and inventory payments or payroll or insurance. Not to mention their personal household debts. Plus, many haven't paid their 2019 taxes yet, so there is that.

4 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I get the need businesses have to get the doors open and the customers in. But surely, its in everyone's interest - owners, employees, and customers - to make sure the businesses can operate safely and not ignite a further outbreak of Covid? Countries with a much better handle on their outbreaks are just beginning to open, while areas of the US that have not met even minimal guidelines for reopening seem to be rushing ahead regardless. The short term gain of an early reopening, against expert advice, may result in long term pain if it generates another,more severe round, of the virus.

Save    
happyleg

Only essentials.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Reading this thread brings to mind the old fable of the hare and the tortoise. I guess some of us stroll leisurely towards death mindful to avoid crossing in front of trucks, falling into pits or what have you in terms of things that might hasten the arrival. And some just have to get there first no matter the cost.

3 Likes Save 5 hours ago

It's likely that my post yesterday brought the fable of the tortoise and the hare to your mind:

elvis

I'm neither greedy nor a gambler. My nest egg is happily humming along at a fixed rate. It's a tad late to be doing anything risky. Remember the tortoise and the hare? I'm the tortoise.

3 Likes Save Yesterday at 8:46PM

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Unbelievable. elvis wants a credit for possibly bringing to someone else's mind an old, very common, fable reference that is frequently referenced. <slow clap without bothering to have the hands meet>

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

4 Likes Save    

Well, to be honest it was my foray to the outside world to donate blood and my biweekly trip to Costco yesterday that started me thinking about "me vs every one else out there". By that I mean that I plan ahead and am deliberate in following a routine that really isn't a routine yet since the outings are so infrequent.

In the store I move at a measured pace as quickly as possible through the aisles but I don't rush as I'm also trying to keep from touching my itchy nose or eye and avoiding getting too close to and/or trying to manoeuver to keep others at a 6 foot distance.

It takes a lot of presence of mind to negotiate all that, at least for me and frankly I'm beat when I get back home. I really don't care what anyone says, what studies they point to, how much the push to reopen is, covid-19 is a respiratory virus, humans have no immunity to it and it's killed and still is killing a lot of people worldwide in horrifying ways.

I aim to live a while longer so I'm keeping to "slo mo mode" for the time being, plenty of time to be dead way down the road for me I hope. Hence the tortoise and hare reference and this thread reinforced it for me yesterday in several posts and in the general tone of the discussion with the fairly distinct different viewpoints and experiences recounted.

4 Likes Save    
llucy

It takes a lot of presence of mind to negotiate all that, at least for me and frankly I'm beat when I get back home.

Same here.

I've been grocery shopping every 2 weeks at a store that has fewer shoppers than the more popular supermarket near it. I'm there when the store opens, list in hand, hoping to get in and out as quickly as possible. Still spend more time there than I intended trying to distance from staff and others in an aisle, end up doing a lot backtracking, getting more and more nervous about possible prolonged exposure. Need time to recover and rest when I get home.

This week we may try curbside pickup from a store in a city further away. Might be worth the longer round trip if we can pick a nice weather day. Probably not worth it if the store is out of too many items, or can only offer pick up times too far in advance.

Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Most of the people I know are either business owners or employees of other businesses. They want to "open for business" because the work of decades is eroding in front of their eyes.

I do understand that, jonnygun, and that will be the essential heartbreak of this whole deal. Yes, my saying that many conservatives seem to have become the "new sybarites" was a bit unfair, but that's how ideologically-driven people implying that getting a mani-pedi, going to a hair stylist, or going out to eat is a risk anybody should be willing to take, unless they are a coward or unwilling to "live life" (as if those things are the only way to live a good life), come off.

The truth is that a lot of the U.S. economy has become based on catering to people's non-essential pleasures and whims that, as at least anyone who has led a subsistence lifestyle knows, can be put off without much trouble when push comes to shove and those non-essentials become too expensive with respect to money, risk, or whatever. This is the part of the economy now in peril and, unfortunately, a lot of it is probably not going to come back to what it was for a good long while, or, in the case of many individual businesses, ever. There is no way to force people to do something they don't have to do if it involves a risk they are unwilling to take. Whatever the risks are with Covid-19, and they obviously aren't none, even if relatively low for people not in the most susceptible groups, a lot of people, understandably, don't see why they should roll those dice when they don't have to.

The transition from where we are now until a vaccine is available is going to be hard. A good contractor friend of ours has recently been getting a popular local ale house ready to open for their regular business (they've been getting by selling curbside drinks, food, and groceries during the shelter-in-place) -- setting up their ventilation system with UV lighting to kill virus and re-configuring the indoor space to accommodate only a third of their original capacity. It's a start, at least. Our town government is trying to add to these local business' capacity by selectively shutting down streets and allowing them to expand into those open areas, too, with the idea that people may be more willing to patronize businesses in outdoor spaces, which is totally feasible in coastal California. It all hinges on offering people an experience within the risk level they are willing to take, not magical thinking that there is no added risk.

7 Likes Save    

llucy, it's funny but until yesterday when I got back from Costco I hadn't really admitted to myself that what used to be, if not a pleasure at least an innocent diversion but now I find grocery shopping a looming chore and a potentially dangerous one at that.

I have looked at having stuff delivered or send my son but until this weekend I was ok with going myself as there weren't crazy crowds, maybe it's because of Memorial Day it was just really crowded including the roads. Sending my son isn't an option as I'd never forgive myself if he were to contract it because I'm inconvenienced. I hope curbside will work out for you, post an update on your experience with it if you do try it.

Catspa, well put, it is a risk vs benefit equation for individuals, families and businesses large and small. It's where they intersect that we'll see what works for whom and as long as the overlap is of sufficient benefit and the perceived risk is minimized to the participating parties people will venture out more and businesses may have a chance to survive and even thrive again incrementally.

It is heartening to see businesses and local government take it seriously like your contractor friend was telling you, that goes a long way to build trust. It has to start somewhere.

1 Like Save    
Helen

I have paid my hair stylist twice since this began, and I will continue until she stops depositing the etransfer, but I have no intention of going in. I guess I will just have a credit.
I have been paying my housekeeper as well, and she just started back last week. I went into a spare room and stayed there while she did the house. Next week I will go to a different spare room. She says she feels comfortable with that, and knows I haven't been anywhere, so the chances of her catching anything at my house are infinitesimal.
I am immunocompromized, so I have no intention of going anywhere for a long time, but at the same time, I think it is important to try to support those who must go out.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Thank you Helen for being able to see both sides of the situation. Some people just don't get that not everyone is the same.

2 Likes Save    

Helen, it's heartening to see that you are thinking of those around you and are able to do this for your hair stylist and housekeeper. I hope you come through this covid-19 pandemic whenever that is without any additional health issues because of it. I can appreciate you being extra careful and I do agree it is important to support others who don't have the choice but to be "out" if one is able.

1 Like Save    
chisue

I agree with catspa's thoughts. Is this unique to the US? Americans are expected to carry the nation by buying beyond their means? I think it dates back to the era of "Mad Men" when television joined radio in bringing advertising into every home.

As an old lady, I don't understand how millions of middle class people can afford to frequent restaurants as often as they apparently have been doing -- as evidenced by the huge percentage of the Covid-19 unemployed who are restaurant workers (and who work in other non-essential 'service' job.

Does anyone today own anything outright? The concept of carrying debt is not something I grew up with. Putting everything on revolving credit is *debt*. People are paying CC interest on *bread*? No wonder so many people have no savings. (I'm not talking about people barely able to earn enough to pay for shelter and food.) Am I living in some English novel where everyone has a long list of creditors -- like the impoverished 'gentlemen' hounded by their shirt-makers shoemakers, tailor, for goods they must have to keep up 'appearances"?

3 Likes Save    

Future shock is now! Just say you have a million dollars stored in Jam Jars. You put it in the bank and you will be lucky to earn 1%. Not a great incentive to save money.

The people unemployed were doing "non essential work" and hopefully on 1 June many will get their jobs back as clubs, restaurants are carefully opened.

The local golf club-house will be re-opened and trades 7 days a week. Do not know how many bar staff will be re-employed 3 or 4 at a guess. Similar to a pub where I sometimes have a cheap lunch.

Part of the "problem" in the USA might be the minimum wage which might be lower than in many other countries.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

DH and I will remain home. Michigan has extended it's stay home order until June 12 but even if they didn't, our choice would be the same. Fortunately, the weather is beautiful. The daffodils are blooming and the trees are budding out. We spent several days on the boat and are doing a lots of gardening. I am sunburned and bug bitten but life has improved.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Change of Heart Prompts Change of House
They were set for a New England look, but a weekend in the California wine country changed everything
Full Story
Furniture Double Take: Did That Chair Come From a Ski Lift?
Clever homeowners find ways to repurpose chairlift seats indoors and out
Full Story
Most Popular How to Make Your House a Haven Without Changing a Thing
Hung up on 'perfect' aesthetics? You may be missing out on what gives a home real meaning
Full Story