SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandy_foster59

French Reclaimed Terra Cotta Tile?

Basil
3 years ago

Since we bought our 1970s Mansard-roof Colonial home 2016, I've been able to look past the dull, algae-streaked brown roof with its flat 3-tab shingles and envision its potential as a charming French cottage-y home with oodles of curb appeal. We'll be doing an exterior refresh soon, including a new grey roof, which will improve the home's curb appeal significantly.

So, I've started looking at interior pictures of beautiful French homes and have unexpectedly fallen in love with reclaimed terra cotta tiles from France and Belgium. I've always only thought of Mexican restaurants if I ever thought of terra cotta floors at all, but the beautiful antique hexagonal terra cotta tiles I've seen online are so gorgeous.

Thankfully, the areas we're considering re-flooring are only about a total of 250 sq ft. and include our foyer, hallway, powder room, and kitchen. So, such a grand floor isn't completely cost-prohibitive, even with professional installation and sealing. It would be a complete splurge for sure, but we think this is our forever home, and we'd prefer to fill our home with beautiful things with character than to go for mass-produced trends.

I really love the hexagonal shape, but they tend to be the most expensive. This tile, French Reclaimed Terra Cotta Tile Parefeuille, is among the least expensive at $14/sq. ft., but with dimensions of 8" x 14" and a thickness of 3/4" - 1 1/4," I'm not sure if it would be too heavy.

So, my question is what are the drawbacks of buying terra cotta, especially antique tiles? Are there weight considerations for flooring? Our house has a basement. I know that I have to monitor the marketplace for them, as they sell different sized lots of tiles, and the inventory can be hard to predict. Is it challenging to find someone qualified to install them? Is this a bad match for what is otherwise just an aging Colonial with a Mansard roof in a midwestern suburb?

Here are photos of the French reclaimed terra cotta tile parefeuille from the website where I found them:

I really love the colors in this lot, which is $16/sq. ft:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths