SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_davey50

Propane for new home

nclawyer
3 years ago

looking for experience pros/cons of using propane for cooking, heat, water heater etc in a home we're building. no gas available so it's either all electric or some. combination of electric and propane. never had a propane tank at home so any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (57)

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ohmygosh, the fun people have with their propane tanks. That watermelon is hilarious; I love the vine cascading down the side. It needs a blue ribbon smacked on the side of it.

Anyway, my architect strongly recommended (as in, darn near *commanded* me, lol) to buy (not lease) the tank and bury it. I hadn't even realized that they could be buried, and was actually quite relieved, because you know, I hate gray, and it never occurred to me to paint the thing. :-D Not that I'd paint it (the maintenance alone), but those photos sure made me smile, lol.

Edited to add:

My husband enjoys cooking with gas, so we will likely need a propane tank. We also plan to use solar to power most everything else, but I am a roof snob and refuse to have panels on a traditionally-styled house (Spanish). I hate a cluttered roof, and don't plan on using parapets. Am I a pain or what?!?

• shead
    3 years ago

@One Devoted Dame, apparently there's a niche for painted propane tanks....who knew?!?! (I didn't until I googled it!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=painted+propane+tanks&sxsrf=ALeKk01jOjrmnLRhmBsJA8Duehkoar8Yaw:1590020418463&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqg-nR18PpAhUyh-AKHbw5DY8Q_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=2048&bih=994

Ours will be set away from our house near where DH plans to build a pole barn so I'll probably disguise it with some bushes.

• Related Discussions

New oven recommendations....

Q

Comments (2)
    For us propane was my only choice! I grew up in the city and didn't know anyone used anything but gas until I was about ten and visited a friend who moved to NJ and had an electric stove. I had my first electric stove steak there and was turned off to electric from that moment on. I know they are better now, I had my own electric double oven and cooktop for 7 years before we built our new house. I couldn't wait to be cooking with gas! Since we were building a new house, we chose to use propane for our generator, clothes dryer and of course, my range top with a grill for those steaks. I went with an electric double oven because I could not find a gas double wall oven. So, that was my thinking - I like a flame I can see. I did not want to go with induction (even though I hear it is better) because I am a cave-woman at heart and want real fire, and I did not want to have to buy new cookware. We got a huge "submarine" tank and buried it. This spring, I will have a hook-up from it for my outdoor grill - no more changing tanks :). I am sure you will get other opinions. Go with what will make you comfortable.
    ...See More

Propane tank size for house with geothermal

Q

Comments (8)
    "we are building a house with a builder who doesn't tell us what anything actually costs, just what the difference is from the base price" That will only continue to be the case if you let him continue to get away with BS like that. Your relationship is whatever you demand it to be in this regard, you're the customer and presumably paying him a lot of money. That should buy his attention to your reasonable requests. Sorry, I'm not trying to agitate you, but another question comes to mind. If he over-spec'd (and over-charged) for what was needed for a propane tank, what else is in the bid that he did the same thing with? Hopefully little else.
    ...See More

New propane boiler has strong propane smell.

Q

Comments (17)
    My plumber found out that I need a fan in a can, or makeup air for the space I have it in. Apparently based on the 90,000 BTU input, I need 750 square feet of combustion air. The room this unit is located in, is only 91 square feet. I am told that without enough combustion air, not all of the propane is burning when the unit fires up, so that is why the room smells when the unit turns on, and I must also be wasting a decent amount of propane while the unit is in use. I have a standard cape cod house and the boiler is in the basement in a center room under the stairs. I have a garage on one side and a finished area on the other (about the size of a 1-car garage). I probably have about 750 square feet on the entire lower level (finished space + boiler room + garage). One other thought I had is that I could cut in a vent from the boiler room to the finished area, and another one from the boiler room to the garage, and that might give me enough combustion air? Any thoughts or insights into this would be great, thanks!
    ...See More

for new construction which is a better heat choice propane or oill?

Q

Comments (29)
    "How does distance affect rates? Because the OP's question was about fuel oil or propane." Fuel oil is diesel fuel without federal and state road tax cost components. Or the opposite with tax, however anyone wants to think about it. You can drive 5 minutes down the street and find a service station with very different prices than the one you just passed. Or, get on the freeway and drive for 15 minutes and prices can be very different. Markets are local. I don't buy fuel oil regularly now (though I did once) and my experience was that there could be significant price differences among suppliers. Price differences being more market and seller-driven rather than just purely geographically-driven. This info site (yes, I noticed the price changes over the months covered) suggests that the situation in Rhode Island isn't as you assume. New England oil prices
    ...See More
  • One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

lol!!!!

Holy smoke, those are hilarious! I'd love to meet the fun folks who get that done to their tanks. :-D There are some truly artistic tanks out there. Crazy.

• B Carey
    3 years ago

Propane has been very expensive. We are doing all electric except propane for our Rangetop as well as for our living room fireplace. (Master and basement family room fireplaces will be electric).

• strategery
    3 years ago

Propane? Wtf? Only if off-grid and you have no other choice. Modern civilization has moved to electricity and natural gas. LNG is so cheap.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Modern civilization has moved to electricity and natural gas.

This is our first choice, to have electricity and natural gas. But NG is not available everywhere, and I will likely have to buy land out in the sticks, for my project. It's rotten, no doubt about it. :-(

Edited to add:

I just realized that my comment sounds as if I think it's rotten to be building in a rural area, when in fact, I meant that it's rotten that NG isn't available in many rural areas around here. :-D We are actually quite looking forward to having more space, lol!

• strategery
    3 years ago

@shead, I don't find your remark condescending. If propane is your only option then that's what you have to go with. Point is, beware of finding yourself in a position where propane is your only option, esp in a cold zone.

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

We decided to ditch propane and oil and go all electric, including an induction cooktop.

Design an energy-efficient house and add solar panels so you don't have to worry about future electric rates.

• rsc2a
    3 years ago

We also have a combination of propane and electric (no NG available). The house is basically fully electric (Thanks TVA!), but we have propane for the cooktop, two fireplaces, and a stub-out for the grill.

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

We have propane for our range and hot water heater. We have a heat pump for heat. We bought our propane tank and it is buried. And of course if natural gas was available that would have been our preference but it is not available here. We did not want induction.

• Kimberly G
    3 years ago

We have geothermal, electric for induction range, well power, etc, and a small propane tank for my gas fireplace. NG wasn't available for our build.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

I would take the pathway of burying and buying a tank and just use for fireplace & cooking if you want that. If you don't care about that - ie gas cooking and a gas fireplace, then do all electric.

All electric is the cheapest option, you just give up the cooking and fireplace.

As an aside, if you get used to less air pollution, you really start to get bothered by the combustion in your house. Not sure if it is my wife's move to eliminate fake odors or the move to EV's, but now I certainly crank the hood before turning on a burner ... and I wish I pushed harder on induction cooking.

We have other houses (rental that we lived in and vacation) that are all electric. I have heard so much BS about issues with heat pumps in our climate and you will hear the same. Things like "this house is too big for a heat pump" or "on really cold nights, you will feel cold". Whatever. Feeling cold is poor air leakage and insulation...

Not sure how far along you are, but I got a $9k rebate from Duke Progress. They pay you for avoiding a kwh (I think 90 cents for every avoided kwh in a year). The easiest way to avoid a kwh is to heat with electric and insulate/air seal well. A heat pump hot water heater is worth about $2200 in that model so that is another easy way.

The best part is taking their rebate and then using solar to never pay them a dime anyway.....Not true, our zero bill is about $16 a month.

• localeater
    3 years ago

Like @David Cary, we are loving our $12 electric bills.

We have an energy efficient build, solar, electric heat pump, and propane. The propane is for our backup generator and also the small propane furnace that adds extra support to our heat pump(Bryant Evolution). We are in a very cold climate. I was nervous about switching from gas to I eduction for cookin but now I am kicking myself for not doing it years ago, it’s wonderful.

Propane tanks are ugly though, so give some thought to where it will be, or bury it. We had lots of conversations about all the ‘ugly’ things, generator, tanks, electric panel....

• lyfia
    3 years ago

We currently have propane for our tankless water heater and the house heat. We have an induction cooktop. We will be going the same route at the new house. Around here we got a free buried tank with a full tank purchase. This was over 10 years ago so not sure they do that anymore, but we will bury it at the new house as well. Had all electric with a heat pump forced air in a previous house and it needed supplement on colder days with the electric strips which was very expensive to run, so hence propane here for heat. The heat also feels better than the all electric as in the heat pump or the electric strips don't feel as warm coming out of the forced air. We are southern though so .... If in a more heating climate the requirements would be different. All this also depends on what your electric costs are.

We are also looking at solar for the new house, but it won't make a difference for how the heat feels with electric vs. propane in a forced air system.

• athomeeileen
    3 years ago

We have a buried tank. It’s not that different than having natural gas. I just have to remember to check the propane level and call for refill when it’s low.
    We built our pole barn to accommodate solar panels, a good place to put them!

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" It’s not that different than having natural gas. "

One difference is that in a house with a basement, there's a potential explosion risk, greatest when there are propane gas appliances (like a water heater) in the basement. If in a garage, important to enhance the fresh air ventillation openings beyond code requirements.

The other difference is that it's more expensive but yes, if that's all that's available, that's it.

I'm not a propane fan myself and if I were building in an area with no natural gas, my personal choices would be as others have explained - solar panels, heat pump water and space heating, an induction range and electric ovens.

(I had a friend who was nearly killed when his mountain home exploded into a fireball from a propane leak. He was lucky to survive it)

• sheepla
    3 years ago

We have an above ground propane tank (installed in 1949 per the carving on it!). Our only option if we want gas. We're on an "always full" plan so the propane company comes once a month and tops it off for us. Pretty much every house in my rural area has an above ground propane tank.

• SBDRH
    3 years ago

We are going to have a propane cooktop and log starter in our new build. We are also in a rural area with no NG service. My wife detests cooking on an electric range, so propane it is. Our previous house in the same area had propane for cooktop and furnace, but it was a 1978 build back when heat pumps were MUCH less effective in our climate.

• shead
    3 years ago

Well, it sound like there are many of us on propane and not part of "modern civilization"....who knew?!?! 🤷‍♀️ 😋

• mike_54321
    3 years ago

I was looking into propane for our cooktop (everything else is electric) and Google started sending me articles about the negative effect on air quality from gas burners. It was enough that my wife, who was firmly in the gas range camp, has now spec'd an induction range instead. We're lucky to have very cheap electricity, though.

• Rower 76
    3 years ago

We have the trifecta of homebuilding BS....Propane, Well, and Septic. NG is not available in the area we are building. We purchased our 1000 gallon propane tank and had it buried. We are only using our propane for heating purposes. We joined a propane/fuel co-op as they have the best pricing in our area. When we fill up in a couple weeks for the first time it should cost us about $1.14 a gallon (suburb of Albany, NY).

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Google started sending me articles about the negative effect on air quality from gas burners."

A properly sized functioning overhead exhaust hood, and an open window or other access into the home for makeup air, are all that's needed. The concentrations produced by most cooking experiences disperse quickly into the home air anyway, except for small or poorly ventilated homes.

Food fumes may not have potentially troublesome combustion products but who wants the house to smell like what was just cooked. A functioning exhaust hood is equally important for electric cooktops.

• Mrryo Villa
    3 years ago

Gas price has tanked and so has propane price too. Evaluate and see which appliances you need gas, for us, it will be just central heating and tankless water heater. We will have electric dryer and induction cooktop. Do not underestimate the power of induction cooking.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

And about the gas price, it fluctuates. It wasn't long ago that propane was more expensive for heat than electric strips.

All electric can be carbon free, propane can't. Changing things out gets expensive and we need to reduce carbon output. And don't ignore the potential financial encouragement to get it right the first time - at least in NC.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" All electric can be carbon free, propane can't. "

What electric utility provides carbon free electricity?

• fsq4cw
    3 years ago

"What electric utility provides carbon free electricity?"

Hydro Quebec's electrical generation is about as 'Carbon Free' as you can get.

However, when you look at the Total footprint of the utility it can never be completely carbon free when you include the carbon to clear & flood thousands of square miles, build roads, manufacture equipment, transport and install the entire infrastructure and its massive maintenance that is all done with trucks and tractors. Think about the manufacturing of just the millions of tons of cement alone.

Talking about Carbon Free or even just ‘Carbon’ is a pipe dream for those that want to virtue signal and lecture the rest of us.

That said, I’m all in for energy conservation!

IMPO

SR

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

If you want your comments to be most relevant, please keep in mind that there are very, very few participants on this site from Canada. This thread and the comment I was referring to both originated from folks in North Carolina.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    3 years ago

Never mind the "virtue signaling" nonsense. It's a reasonable point that all electric has an easier path to a much lower carbon footprint. Those folks who are at net zero are case in point.

I've done the math, and the grid has to be greater than 50% non-carbon sourced (with the remaining carbon sourced being 1/2 NG and 1/2 coal) to roughly equal a condensing natural gas appliance for carbon output. Unless you live somewhere that sources hydro or nuclear, it's really unlikely that your grid comes close to that any time soon. Solar and wind become unstable without storage at levels much lower than 50%.

Just a few years ago, propane was super expensive and unavailable. Distributors were telling long-time customers, "I'm sorry" in the middle of winter. No thanks.

Low energy consumption in the first place + grid-tie solar is a great combo. If you can't do the grid-tie solar out of the box, design the home for it and add it later. We've got about 30 years to get our act together.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

Jake - are you saying a heat pump vs condensing natural gas furnace? Appliance could mean hot water but how many folks have gas fired hot water heaters that are condensing? So Elmer and I have this debate often. I am sure you had to make a lot of estimates to hit that and a milder climate (ie NC) would favor HP more because of a higher average COP.

North Carolina (me and OP) was 26% coal, 30% NG in 2017.

So by your numbers, 3 years ago it was really close.

Coal use has been falling in the US about as fast as any environmentalist could hope for. I would guess that 2020 we are down to 20% coal if not lower in NC

So, NC likely tipped in favor of Heatpump by this year. Even if 75% of that coal was replaced by NG.

Now how long does a house last (or at least HVAC equipment) and where is the trend line going?

In the US this year, it is predicted that renewable generation will exceed coal generation. Some of that is coronavirus effect but it was going to happen in a year or two anyway.

The use of coal in the US has fallen 50% in 6 years. A truly remarkable change.

• krenster
    3 years ago

We are in an area not serviced by natural gas. We wanted gas for cooking and so we pay for Amerigas - two slender upright tanks out back, about 4 feet high, that we own, next to the A/C unit, and they come out and refill on a schedule once a quarter. It's about $80 a quarter, I think?We've never had an issue.

But be aware that a propane hookup will reduce the amount of heat/pressure - not really remembering too well -- that your stove is capable of. Like, the turbo booster burner will be a little bit reduced compared with a true natural gas hookup. We did this when we built the house in 99. It requires a conversion kit for your stove. It has never been any kind of issue when cooking. Totally recommend gas for cooking!

We have oil forced air burner for heat, electric water heater. If we'd had the option we would've gone gas all the way. But we didn't, and still don't.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

Probably best to disguise it because essentially it's a bomb sitting in your yard.

Big Pharma Ad:

Maybe you're a US defense contractor?

This might help keep people away -- think you're a bit crazy?

Just realize there are a lot of teenage and younger children playing Fortnite --- so dispelling the notion that these aren't bombs... well grand theft auto didn't help auto stealing statistics. (This ka boom bomb below -- from Fortnite)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" So Elmer and I have this debate often. "

A frequent debate. No, I don't think so.

When you present trite and unfounded platitudes as you did just above, I like to counter them with facts. Respond to my question or admit your imagination was behind your comment.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

When you present trite and unfounded platitudes as you did just above, I like to counter them with facts.

Oh really? I suppose any minute now you will post your California electric bill to this other post? You know--- because we want facts to be included now in all our discussions on this board.

No more hiding behind board related politics? I welcome the change... let's keep everything factual no more hiding Mr. Fudd.

In case you some how lost the thread it's right here: Waiting for the posting of Mr. Fudd's Electric bill

You mean to tell me Mr. Fudd is involved with more than one argument? yep, those are the facts folks.

• fsq4cw
    3 years ago

Re: Elmer J Fudd

“If you want your comments to be most relevant, please keep in mind that there are very, very few participants on this site from Canada. This thread and the comment I was referring to both originated from folks in North Carolina.”

It matters not a wit where you’re located. The point is that the generation of the massive quantities of electrical energy required is a nasty business – whatever it is, wherever it is – even ‘Clean’ Hydro Electricity!

IMO

SR

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I hope you both have a great day!

• chispa
    3 years ago

Propane tanks come in handy to run a generator when the power goes out.

• Mrryo Villa
    3 years ago

Austin Air,

So are you saying that when people don't have access to NG that they shouldn't even think of getting propane because it's an explosion waiting to happen?

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

Austin Air,

So are you saying that when people don't have access to NG that they shouldn't even think of getting propane because it's an explosion waiting to happen?

No that's not what I am saying. This is informative as long as you treat this gas with the respect it deserves and the attention to details --- otherwise don't use it.

It isn't a cheap gas (most of the time) -- so human nature when things get expensive they skimp on other things. The tank ages, the lines used to draw from the tank age etc.

All common sense things... in a world in which there is none. There is enough explosive power in one of these things to level a city block. (on the news all the time).

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

Doesn't natural gas explode too?

• David Cary
    3 years ago

Right. But natural gas isn't stored on property so you have to have leak and not realize it. Whereas with propane, you have a potential bomb right there. Now - I don't think that it really happens very often. I just saw that Austin says it is on the news all the time so maybe it does happen just not near me. I would imagine the tanks get shot every once in a while ....

Electricity on the other hand does not explode. It does create fires but the reality is that a single source of energy has a small advantage in safety. Living without electricity because of fires is not a reasonable option.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

Natural gas is lighter than air where as propane is heavier than air.

So propane will 'pool' in low lying areas. That 'pool' continues to grow until ignition source. Then as stated above you have a large 'contained source' on the property in question. (ignition source could be anything that produces a spark. Flick of a light switch, static electricity etc.)

Could natural gas explode, yes but it's much less likely. Because it's lighter than air -- only if it is 'contained' in an area of confinement. Because there is no large amount on any property explosions are much less violent than propane.

• twintechhvac
    3 years ago

Well, propane is typically safe and it burns clean and you are able to power your home with the same fuel source. But you could be running the risk of higher upfront costs to switch over, and it also produces fewer BTU's per gallon.

Twintech Heating & Cooling

https://twintechheating.ca/

• PRN
    3 years ago

We live in the country so there is no natural gas. Electricity rates are high, not a fan of oil. We have used propane for 30 years to heat the house, dry the clothes, and cook and have no complaints. Site your tank carefully so it can be hidden by shrubbery. Shop around for propane suppliers because you can’t just shop around every time you need a tank refill.

Yearly contracts are required around here but there are buying groups out there that you can join to get a bulk purchase price, renegotiated every year.

• mike_home
    3 years ago

I occasionally hear a story on the local news about a natural gas explosion occurring in a house. I can't recall ever hearing about a propane gas explosion.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Propane explosions are not uncommon in areas where it's widely used.

Natural gas is lighter than air and dissipates more easily when there's a leak. Though not always.

Propane is heavier than air and so collects in low spots. Like basements. The house explosion I briefly mentioned above, there was a propane water heater in a well sealed garage (vents covered by snow) and the explosion was ignited from the spark in a wall switch when my friend opened the garage and turned on the light. Needless to say, my friend rebuilt the destroyed home and went all electric.

• Marc Well
    3 years ago

Advantages & Disadvantages of Using Propane.

https://www.ductless-mini-split-air-conditioner.org/

Price

A major advantage of using propane fuel is that it is relatively cost effective. For the money paid, it produces many more units of energy than many other fuel sources. It is an efficient-burning fuel, and propane appliances have a much shorter energy savings payback period than many other fuel sources. This means that the initial outlay to provide the equipment for propane burning pays for itself more quickly once the cheap price of the actual fuel is taken into account.

Safety

Propane is quite a safe energy source, but it does have risks. It is combustible, and as with any flammable gas a leak can be potentially devastating. It is heavier than air, so any propane leak in an enclosed area will sink and become concentrated at the floor level, where it may avoid detection. Also, propane is stored under high pressure, making any sudden decompression or rupture of its container an event of violent force.

Environment

A major advantage of using propane gas as fuel is that compared to many other fuel sources it is environmentally friendly. In practical terms this means that it meets the clean air energy standards of the Environmental Protection Agency. It is nontoxic and soluble in water, and because it is a gas it cannot spill, form pools or leave environmentally damaging residues.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Depending on winter climate, I prefer an all electric house with air or ground source heat pumps.

The one advantage I see for propane is for those who may live in areas where power outages are common/frequent. Even there, gasoline based generators are an option.

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

I went to school in a rural area. I am guessing there was close to 400, perhaps 500, different kids who attended that school during the time when my brothers and I were in school. Most of our fellow students are still alive but I know of two deaths associated with propane. One man died from burns from an explosion when lighting a basement water heater and the other died in a fiery crash while he was driving a propane delivery truck. Obviously that is coincidence that I knew of these two deaths but propane incidents are not uncommon in areas where it is the common heating fuel.

I am hopeful that improvements in battery technology will help to make solar and wind energy practical on the small scale for rural communities. Given the installed user base, propane won't disappear any time soon.

• strategery
    3 years ago

Thread has gone off-topic.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH