CDC - We've been muzzled.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I was reading an article today speculating that Dr. Redfield was about to be fired by Trump. Well, six staff members spoke anonymously (for fear of reprisals) about what is going on within the agency.

"We've been muzzled," said a current CDC official. "What's tough is that if we would have acted earlier on what we knew and recommended, we would have saved lives and money."

It may have started when Nancy Messonier warned the public -- at a time when President Donald Trump was out of the country and downplaying the threat -- that "the disruption to everyday life might be severe."

It appears to have gone downhill from there. Here's the full article.

SaveComment24Like5
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Science is the bad guy now (as has been our intelligence agencies), we'll just have to depend upon whatever trump reads on the internet to define reality.

3 Likes Save    
HU-5213567

yesterday, CDC actually posted the guidelines made by the doctors and scientists who know what they are doing. please read it https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/php/CDC-Activities-Initiatives-for-COVID-19-Response.pdf as soon as i saw that i knew trump would blow a gasket.

2 Likes Save    

The CDC has always been the hero. I don't understand why this numbskull would want to trash in the middle of a pandemic a venerable institution that is responsible for keeping us safe from pandemics. I think the reason is because the CDC recommended steps that Trump did not take and it caused many more deaths than would have occurred if he had followed their guidance.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

CNN. lol

Save    
Stan Areted

Since when can anyone muzzle a liberal?

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Science is the bad guy now (as has been our intelligence agencies), we'll just have to depend upon whatever trump reads on the internet to define reality

But oh it's the Chinese that can't be trusted to provide accurate information about the pandemic.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Science is -- whether you believe in science or not.

Just as Covid-19 is, whether you acknowledge its dangers or not.

Obstructing scientific results, censoring scientific results serves the best interests of no one in the long run.

14 Likes Save    
Olychick

Well if the CDC is a liberal, I guess it's been muzzled. Is anything science based instead of cult/paranoia/religious/conspiracy based now considered liberal?

Do only liberals have brains to discern the difference? I don't want to believe that, and I know a few pot stirrers that post here are not representative of all non-liberals, but it's absolutely crazy that both parties aren't up in arms about having our most expert scientific people in the government being dismissed, both figuratively and literally. While a cult hangs on every demented tweet and word that oozes out of trump is given credibility by the science deniers. The theme from Twilight Zone never stops playing.

14 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Yep, the wannabe dictator and his cabal are behind this.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

"Since when can anyone muzzle a liberal?"

Since when was science "liberal?"

11 Likes Save    
Olychick

Since trump became president.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

Since when was science "liberal?"

Never. Most liberals can't even define the word. Others think it's a belief system. Some of them go on a rampage when they can't get the basics.

Save    

^^^^Blanket statements without substantiation.

2 Likes Save    

Well waddaya know. I think the only reason this is happening is because of the news that so many fewer people would have died if Trump didn't have his head up his rump.

U.S. health officials have quietly released more reopening guidance that was created more than a month ago but initially shelved.

As with other recently released guidance, religious organizations were not included. Instead, the document has advice for childcare facilities, schools, day camps, mass transit systems, restaurants, bars and other businesses and organizations that have workers at high risk of becoming sick from the coronavirus.

The guidance discusses different steps organizations can take as they reopen from closures aimed at stopping the virus’s spread. On Sunday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention placed the information in a 20-page appendix to a document previously posted on its website.

For example, the CDC suggests restaurants might transition from take-out only to reopening dining rooms with customers spaced six feet apart.

Mass transit systems might shift from serving only essential workers to opening up to the general public with restrictions, such as closing every other row of seats and limits on how many riders can be on a bus or train. In a third step, the system might loosen some of those limitations, but keep tape markers on the ground or take other steps to help passengers stay 6 feet apart.

The pages flesh out six one-page “decision tool” documents — posted by CDC last week — that use traffic signs and other graphics to tell organizations what they should consider before reopening. But it’s not a mandate and leaves lots of wiggle room. The phrases “as feasible,” “if feasible,” and “where feasible” repeat over and over again.

More than a month ago, CDC gave White House officials a more detailed version of decision tools and additional pages of guidance.

Those early versions of the documents included detailed information for churches wanting to restart in-person services, with suggestions including maintaining distance between parishioners and limiting the size of gatherings.

The White House initially shelved all the guidance, though news organizations including The Associated Press obtained copies. Since then, the White House authorized release of some of the information. But the faith-related guidance was taken out after the White House raised concerns about the recommended restrictions.

On Wednesday, White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany said there was no need for a splashy announcement about the guidance being posted because much of the information “was already out there.” She said initial draft guidance received “constructive criticism” and refinement during an internal government review before it was released.

Save    
Kathy

Anything that hinders Trump from pushing his get rich quick from the taxpayers agenda is eliminated. There is no concern for Americans or anyone’s lives as long as he is free to plunder America. My opinion .

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

A vote for Trump was a vote against the government and he continues to deliver on that promise - his is an anti-administration. With the promotion of the public welfare part of conventional federal governance on his agenda.

Save    

CDC news is on a roll and this is pretty bad. They are combining viral and antibody tests to make it look like there has been more testing. The states have been following suit which means that there is no correct number on the number of tests (some speculate this was done on purpose to make Trump look better but it makes it harder to know whether reopening is safe).

I was too weary to start a new thread and so I am appending it to this other CDC thread.

How Could the CDC Make that Mistake? (Atlantic article)

The government’s disease-fighting agency is conflating viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics that governors depend on to reopen their economies. Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing the same.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Missing posts again?

Save    

Nothing missing yet. It's still Thursday. :-)

1 Like Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

Like many federal agencies, there are many good people and scientists who work at the CDC. I’ve known quite a few of them through my work, and sadly, one of them passed away a couple weeks ago due to Covid-19.. These people have been through a lot of threats of cuts to funding and positions, and they’ve hung in there. The director, Dr. Redfield, was appointed. He has a not so great history if you read up on him and some of his beliefs.

1 Like Save    

^^^^ Condolences to losing someone you knew to this disease, remember him or her in conversations to keep the memory alive. CDC should be running daily briefings and direct, coordinate testing and collating of data, not that farce this administration is fielding.

2 Likes Save    

I happen to be a bug fan of the CDC and I am very sad of these botched test results. However, I am certain they were under extreme pressure to raise the testing numbers and so decided to fudge. Now that they have been discovered the will have to uncouple the two tests so they can get more accurate statistics.

Save    
heri_cles

This is a novel virus that has confounded scientists who are under the kind of pressure they are not accustomed to.

They have made mistakes, but they are all we have if we hope to solve this pandemic. Attacking them is beyond counterproductive but if someone fudged numbers for improper purposes, well, they have to be held accountable like anyone else would.

Save    
Kathy

Dr Fauci said staying closed for too long could cause irreparable damage. Since when is he making statements about the economy? I’m wondering if Trump threatened to cut off their money too?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Sheltering at Home Cleaning Routines to Keep Your Home Virus-Free
Follow this CDC advice to make sure your kitchen, bathroom and other high-traffic areas are clean and disinfected
Full Story
Monthly Home Checklists Checklists for a Well-Stocked Home
Thank-you notes, first-aid kit, clear glass vases ... It’s easy to go with the flow when you’ve got the items you need at hand
Full Story
Sheltering at Home How to Assist Others During the Coronavirus Crisis
You can show kindness and help those who need it the most while you stay close to home. Here are ways to do it
Full Story