SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geegess

modern prairie exterior and hybrid mid century/prairie interior...

geegess
3 years ago

We are in final stages of designing our new home - floorplan decisions have been made. Exterior is standing seam roof, natural stone, cast stone accents, and some stucco. Lots of windows - so much so that I am a bit worried about my lack of wall space but will deal with it.

I am giving myself carpal tunnel syndrome searching for interior ideas. I seem drawn to a hybrid of style between mcm to modern to prairie. In my previous homes I have morphed from true traditional to transitional, to this current mcm/prairie/modern style. I will be using oriental rugs and some of my antiques mixed with some contemporary pieces. I am leaning toward painted trim - true prairie with all of the stained wood is too rigid for me - and medium brown hardwood floors, Walls and trim will be the same color - probably off white.

Questions -

What do you think about shiplap ceiling with beams painted same color as walls/trim? Too much? I see lots of this in MCM design and I like the texture it might provide.

And, can I do large louvered plantation shutters (hidden tilt, painted to match walls and trim) on the windows or do I have to do sleek shades to keep this 'modern' vibe? I have seen lots of plantation shutters in pics of modern homes but maybe that is not really a good idea? I need privacy options so can't leave the windows bare.

Last - how do you feel about a mix of walnut and painted cabinets for kitchen? Again, painted same color as walls, trim.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and opinions. I am driving myself nuts trying to fine tune the interior.

Comment (1)