SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adelaide604

Help identifying a bug that killed my seedling, and ways to treat

Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! I am hoping someone here can help me identify the bug that potentially have killed my gem squash seedling and help me prevent it from happening to my other seedling :(

I transplanted 2 seedlings a week ago. It was a cool day and has been pretty mild for the past week. On Saturday, we had a sunny afternoon, but probably only around 22-24 C? So nothing too scorching. I noticed one of the seedlings started becoming soft in the stem, so I watered it a bit thinking it's a water issue. But it never really recovered and became completely yellow by yesterday, so I decided to pull it out today to see what's wrong. I noticed maybe 3 of these black little bugs inside the stem of the seedling just below the soil line, and there was a hole through the stem.

I have a second gem squash seedling that is doing OK so far, but I really don't want this to happen to it as they were gifts from a friend and I wouldn't be able to restart this. I would appreciate anyone who can identify this bug and maybe help provide treatments for this! Thank you!

Comments (19)