SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rstgardener07

Transplanting Wild Black Raspberry Shrubs into Yard?

Rashane Thapa
3 years ago

Hi,

So in an area of foliage/brush near my house there are several black raspberry shrubs and I was thinking about transplanting one or two of them into my own yard to grow with the rest of my garden (or close to it; I know how thorny the shrubs can be). Right now they're just growing freely with no pruning/maintenance except for an occasional crude trimming by one of my neighbors (it keeps them from growing onto a neighborhood path) and I think it would be really cool to have some of my own, especially to see if they can fruit more after maintaining them. Judging by their noticeable purple color I think the canes are second or third year (I hadn't been paying attention to them the last few years, so I'm not 100% sure about their stage). I have a picture of them attached here as well. In a video I watched on getting new black raspberry plants it showed someone using a pot and having a newly forming cane be put into the pot, and then the woman cuts the cane off at a certain area to start the new shrub. I noticed several canes/branches of my the wild black raspberries near my yard that I could do the same with.

How successful would I be if I tried transplanting some of them? This is the first time I would be trying anything like this and I'm by no means an expert on berry gardening/horticulture in general.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!