SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ian_krassner

Is this a Ponytail Palm & Question About Bent Leaves On It

Ian
3 years ago

I was told this was a ponytail palm when I purchased it, and although i still think it is, I've started to become uncertain. In looking at photos online of ponytail palms of all different ages, the trunks seem to be quite a bit longer, less bulbous, and most obviously the leaves seem to be much more "ponytail" like. As in, the leaves on mine are quite vertical and then gently spread/arc downward, but without any of the twisty/wavy ponytail-esque stuff; hence, why I've come to question whether or not it is a ponytail palm. So, first question is can anyone confirm what this is and, if not a ponytail palm, what you think it may be? Second, I zoomed in on a few leaves that are creased/bent at almost a 90 degree angle. I can confirm this is not due to any person or object having put weight on the leaves but has occurred naturally. As far as care goes, I live in the arizona desert and while the plan resides indoors, I give it about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight outside and then for the rest of the day it is inside receiving medium/medium-high bright indirect light. It is planted with well-draining soil and I water it very sparingly, making sure at least the top 3-4 inches are dry before watering. Are these creased/bent leaves a sign of something I'm doing/not doing or a normal occurrence? Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks in advance for reading and your help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County