SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I don't mean to beat a dying horse, but ... ? re our cooking vent prob

IdaClaire
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

As most of you may know, our neighbors installed a cooking vent illegally on the zero-lot-line side of the property, although municipal code requires a minimum 3' setback for such a vent. It is right ON the property line of our postage-stamp-sized yard, meaning that noxious cooking odors (garlic, onions, strong spices, and often rancid-smelling oil) are blasted into our garden regularly. Let's not go into questioning about why or how they did this; suffice it to say that the vent IS an illegal installation and must be removed.

Almost 3 weeks ago we had a conversation with the neighbor and advised her that the vent must be removed. It was an entirely amiable discussion, and said she understood the issue and seemed to agree. However, the vent continued to be operated. I often see a smelly haze hovering in the air between our houses, as though it's temporarily trapped there. Obviously, there's a reason that code is written as it is.

Shortly thereafter, our HOA issued a notice of violation to the neighbors. First notice, with an assurance to us that they will be working with city code compliance to rectify the issue. (Should a second notice be imposed, a fine will be threatened, and with the third notice comes levy of said fine.)

The vent continues to be run regularly. I am wondering now if it's at all within the realm of possibility that they have installed something where the vent automatically comes on when the cooktop is in use - ? Does such a thing even exist? Is it possible that there are cooktops that automatically kick on the vent fan at certain temps or otherwise?

At this point, we are fully dependent upon the HOA and city to do their jobs, but in the interim I'm really trying not to harbor ill will against the neighbors. I cannot imagine being informed that something I had installed was illegal and a nuisance to my neighbors, while continuing to operate it.

So my question remains: Does such a cooktop/vent combo such as I've described above exist? Or is a vent something that is always ancillary with the option to turn on and off at will?

(And if anyone is just going to chime in to say that we shouldn't have chosen to live in a zero-lot-line community, you can save your efforts. I am NOT in the mood for such thoughtless foolishness. We have invested several thousand dollars in creating a little oasis in our spot of yard, and don't intend to yield on this.)

Comments (95)