SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
popmama

2020 Iris pictures

I thought we should make a new thread for iris pictures for 2020. Feel free to show off yours!

The vast majority of mine came from iris swaps with Rocky Mountain Garden forum members. I'm going to ask for a bit of help with this one. I would have received it at the 2017 iris swap. It was originally labeled Mother Earth, but clearly this is not Mother Earth. It's very pretty. Does anyone in the group recognize it as one they had and possibly know its name?

Comments (123)

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Two new blooms this morning at the community garden

Swington

and High Chapparal

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked tomatoz1
  • gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Both are super pretty! Love High Chapperal!

• Related Discussions

Colorful Iris Picture Slideshow

Q

Comments (2)
    That's beautiful indeed.
    ...See More

Iris Seed Pods and Seed pictures. Information?

Q

Comments (4)
    Your pods are fine. As they dry they will get lighter and eventually start to crack open. If you don't want the seeds to fall out you can wrap the pod in a fine mesh, or keep checking them and harvest just as they start to open. The seeds will be smooth and pale brown at first but will dry dark and wrinkly like the ones in your picture. As long as they have some thickness to them I think they can sprout - nothing ventured... Plant them 1 inch deep in pots and leave outside all winter, they should sprout in early spring. I have had some luck with pods which were broken off before they had a chance to mature, so don't worry. Chad
    ...See More

A great site for pictures of newer bearded iris

Q

Comments (1)
    Very nice! Thank you Irisgal!
    ...See More

Spring 2020 Pictures

Q

Comments (23)
    Bob, I’m doing well, I hope the same for you, my friend. I’m pressure washing the house today, so I can finally move my trees to the back of the house where they will spend their summer. Most of them look good, but I’m definitely paying for the neglect in 2019. One that does not seem to be doing particularly well, is my sanguinelli that I purchased March 2019. While it has new growth on the top (and even a few blooms), the bottom half of the tree is yellowing with leaf loss. I’m hoping the leaves are just old, but it’s alarming to watch: Sanguinelli blood Most of my grafts have failed this year, I still have two that are hanging on but haven’t leafed out yet. Scale, ants and mites are a constant battle. Blooming is almost finished, so hopefully I’ll be able to spray soon. Otherwise, I have no complaints. We are using this quarantine time to catch up on much needed repairs and work around the house/yard. I‘m getting ready to root prune several trees for the first time and it absolutely terrifies me lol. I should have done it back in Feb/Mar, but better late than never I guess lol. -Kelley
    ...See More
  • steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

I've been taking a ton of Iris pictures this year. Now that I've trimmed it down to 114, I've chosen the best 20 to show here. I have some more group shots that weren't considered (yet). Starting with Adoregon

Best Bet was looking particularly sad this day (blue - yuk, yuk)

Brilliant Idea

Cherry Blossom Song (I had the hardest time discerning this from Damsel in a Dress since it didn't match my map. They are planted next to each other, but somehow they switched places and can look purple in the right light).

The Damsel in a Dress

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Color Me Blue

Color Strokes

Who's that peaking underneath my Glamour Pants

Let Evening Come (Ditto with discerning this and Secret Rites - did I get it right?)

Matt McNames

3 years ago

Megabucks

Merchant Marine

Mercury Rising

Poesie

Rainbow High

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

Rings True

Sea Power

Stellar Lights

Wintry Sky

Now how did this group shot sneak in there

• eastautumn
    3 years ago

Drooling over Best Bet and Color Me Blue!!!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Steve, you have a very nice collection of iris! I also have Cherry Blossom Song. I'm really liking that Rainbow High!

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Another picture of Edith Wolford because it’s just too pretty to not show.

Siberian Iris from Popmama’s mom. She’s super sweet to our family.

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

I tried drying an iris bloom and it turned out perfectly! This is Hemstitched, dried in silica gel for about 4 days. Not sure yet how I will present it and protect it, but happy with the results. Last year, I dried some roses and carnations from my daughters wedding and they turned out nicely as well. Neat way to preserve blooms so they keep their form and colors!

• Laura (Z5a Fort Collins, Colorado)
    3 years ago

My "Grape Kool-aid" iris are in full bloom and smell amazing this year!

Oh, and I forgot to post this earlier-this-month pic of the dwarf I got from last year's swap. Short-lived bloom but adorable. ❤️

Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow mstywoods, that is so cool! I've never seen a preserved iris! That's amazing.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

Finally the gold ones are putting on a show.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

The gold ones are so shiny and pretty! The hill looks amazing! Thanks for all the work you do including weeding.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Original Author
    3 years ago

I like them all, Gardenchloe. I think that Lady Friend and Carnival Song are my favorites.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Popmama, I have a hard time choosing favorites. I really didn't want to buy Lady Friend at first but I am glad I did now. It is more of a rosy tone that I don't have.

• gjcore
    3 years ago

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked gjcore
  • User
    3 years ago

Been growing here since we moved here 8 years ago so I can't take the credit. :-)

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked User
  • DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

@gjcore In your last post of the white and purple Hemstich-ish one...Is it fragrant?

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

Celebration Song bloomed for me today :) Almost missed it because the stem is so short, and the sunflower volunteers were hiding it!

• Alisande
    3 years ago

Such a weird year--including in the garden. Some of my plants disappeared, including several irises: Sweet Orange Spice, Color Me Blue, and Swingtown. I didn't take any of my usual closeup pics--probably because I do it every year--but here are a couple of clumps: a natural one (Clarence plus a few old-fashioned yellows that have been here forever) and a (wo)man-made one (cut stalks that had been flattened in the garden by a t-storm, now blooming in my kitchen window).

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked Alisande
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Two more bloomed today (sort of late, considering I have deadheaded almost all the others). These were both new to my garden last year 2019

Megabucks

Coral Splendor

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

Both are fantastic!

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Oooo - love those colors.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

Amidala new to me last year and is in a container. I love how showy it is

Original Author
    3 years ago

And she bloomed in a container! Wow, that's quite an iris. Good for her.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

Any one interested in Dwarf Iris. The DIS is starting their sale to the public on Jun 26th.
    https://dwarfirissociety.org/2020plantsale.html

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

Ooo, thanks DeZi for the heads up. Clicked on a few links and there are some really pretty ones! Might be worth becoming a member to get the first choice advantage, since it's only $12/year. Waiting until 6/26 might not have much left - have you followed these sales before?

So I just clicked through all the links to the look at pics of the varieties. Oh my! So many, and so beautiful - I found 32 that I really liked! lol. Of course, I would not buy them all - but so, so tempting!

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

@Mstywoods No, I haven't followed one of these sales before. I follow the Dwarf Iris page on FB. I was thinking of doing the same. I wanted to look through the list more.Can you post or message me which ones you purchase. Also, It looks like the Elmohr Iris society is still planning their sale at Spencer's in Co Springs.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

Beautiful Iris everyone! (Too bad Houzz is making it harder to see them all.) This must be a good year for them. These are all tall bearded....

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beautiful, sandyslopes! I love that huge drift of the dark burgundy ones. En masse is so cool!

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Sorry to hijack this beautiful iris pictures discussion. I have been digging/dividing iris that I don’t want - whites, yellow, 2 tone purple, and a few other will soon be added to that group. If anyone wants a slew of them, please let me know or they will be put in a round file. I just have too many others that make me smile - these just multiply too quickly, etc.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Perfect! I think we will all run into this issue shortly. Please post here. We can figure it out together. :) Also, FYI... Last year, a generous lady donated tons of named iris rhizomes to my daughter's school for a fundraiser which turned out to be a great event. Perhaps we can do something similar in the future too.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

I have quite a few on the hill that need to be thinned out as well, mostly the white rebloomer and yellow. I'm not sure what to do with all of them either. I have a lot coming in that will need to be planted in the fall.

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

@DeZi Lo Darn it! I just realized I forgot about the Iris Society sale - totally missed purchasing any :( Did you order some?

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

@Mstywoods the Elmohr Iris society sale in Co springs sale starts Friday. they will have curbside pick up and shipping available if you can't make it in person at Spencer's.

• littebit63
    3 years ago

@popmama (Colorado, USDA z5).. The iris you originally posted as "Mother Earth" but its not Mother Earth.. It reminds me of Autumn Tryst... sorry if I jumped into a post I dont have any business being in..

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked littebit63
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, littebit63! you are welcome anytime! I looked at Autumn Tryst to see if it matches and it does look like a good match. Also it looks like Schreiner's carries it and I know quite a few people purchase from there. So it very well could be.

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

@popmama - I just love your first picture NOID.

Anyway, I have finally finished digging up/dividing all the bigger iris. I had to dig up 3 extra-not-planned-on clumps because the neighbor across the fence has mint planted in her 6” border around the yard. I’ve been dealing w/this for 3 years and finally decided to move the iris away from her invasion. Lots of work ahead to remedy this when the temps get cooler and the tomatoes get removed. Like Greg, I have “that” neighbor.

Please let me know if anyone may want to either swap or take. Will post names when I get home.

Original Author
    3 years ago

tomatoz1, I usually think most of my iris came from you! So maybe you have that one too. :-)

I over-purchased iris this year. As my mom would say, "I was over-sold" (that way I can't be held responsible, right?!) I have three in pots still and two more that I purchased from my Willow Bend trip in May. So five that I have no idea where I'm putting! But I love them so.

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Ha ha, popmama! I have no idea where to put any of my extra iris either, so I bought some Smart Pots and probably will be keeping them there for the season - who knows? I looked at the iris list (old, from Gardenchloe, and from our swaps) and don’t think I have the beautiful one from you.

My iris in waiting . . .

White

Yellow

Gingerbread Girl - brown, yellow, white

Outreach - yellow, white

Swingtown - mulberry wine

Celebration Song - pink, purple

Lois Ranier - pinky peach

Stepping Out - violet, white - (came from my friend Nancy Lee NOID), so it had her name

Midnight Dancer - Purple black

Red at Night - red

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

Oh wow... I don't have more room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I can manage to add few more in. :)

I am interested in Swingtown, Midnight Dancer and Gingerbread Girl :)

I definitely over-purchased last year (and this year) so I should have more varieties to share in a couple years.

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Yes, Gardenchloe- I bet in 2 years we’ll have more iris to share and have to buy more property in which to plant them! I’m hoping the Smart Pots help the situation.

Gardenchloe - will get a bag ready with the 3 iris. How many of each? I usually do 2 ‘just in case’ one doesn’t survive.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

You are so sweet with the "just in case" thought. Thanks!

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

@Tomatoz1 if you have enough to share, can I get the following for the hill?
    Gingerbread Girl
    Swingtown
    Lois Ranier
    Stepping Out
    Midnight Dancer
    Red at Night

I don't have very many different ones to share this year but there was a few I can split and share if you are interested. I'm adding over 50 to the hill this year so there will be plenty to share in the coming years. I was focusing on getting more reds and bi-colors for the hill.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

I have these to share the white are the rebloomer and I have lots of historic yellows if anyone has space.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

There are lots of dwarfs I can share. they are on their 3 year clump so I need to clean them up and split them so they keep blooming.

• gardenchloe
    3 years ago

DeZi,

You are amazing with all that effort at the hill. It was so hot last time I met up with you at the hill to plant the day lilies. It took me three days to recover from the heat stroke. I can’t imagine all the time you spend there weeding.

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

DeZi, thanks for wanting some of the iris! I will be putting them in a bag, labeled, for you and the hill. You definitely are one dedicated gal.

P.S. thanks also for the offer for swapping, but I have no room this year. I guess we all need a hill to show off the beauty of the earth. Thanks for doing that.