Who and where are the leaders capable of galvanizing the People?

abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

While NYC was in truly dire straits governor Cuomo emerged as one for a time. Frankly, no one comes to mind and this I find surprising and disconcerting. Seems we're too fractured already as a country to even be a nation anymore.

SaveComment24Like4
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

Covid Cuomo is a bad joke. I feel sorry for the neighboring states.

Save    

At least you're predictable lurker, kinda like Trump.

23 Likes Save    
cattyles

I wonder the same thing, abzzzybee.

1 Like Save     Thanked by abzzybee
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

where are the leaders capable of galvanizing the people

Since the Trump administration has told the states that they're on their own, the individual governors seem to be the emerging leaders -- for good or for bad -- and known mostly to their own constituents (unless they really mess up -- see DeSantis).

Also the pandemic makes it harder for leaders to emerge; it's not as if reporters could just hang around the Hill and have an interview or sound bite.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by abzzybee

^^ Nancy, i thought that too, that the distancing might impede the emergence of a real leader but with all the connectivity via the internet it would seem possible to reach even more people quicker and easier. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

And yes Desantis ia throwing his constituents to the wolves with the reopening of south Florida. I bet by months' end everything will be open including summer school. I bet the tourists will be welcomed with open arms. I can see Florida becoming the new NYC...

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

I can see Florida becoming the new NYC...

You're comparing a whole state to a city? That still won't help Cuomo. He's responsible for most of the outbreak across the US. His racist one mile quarantine around a synagogue was a joke, and did I mention racist? All he cares about is seeing himself on TV, with hopes that it will help him find a date. His state is an embarrassment.

Trump is the best leader our country could hope for. As long as the crats see themselves as some siily "resistance" that stands for nothing and is against everything, then they will be ignored. It's a mental illness.

1 Like Save     Thanked by abzzybee
Nana H

"Thrust
into the national spotlight by his state's status as the epicenter of
the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, New York Democratic Gov.
Andrew Cuomo has rapidly become one of -- if not the -- single most
popular politician in the country for his handling of the pandemic.

Cuomo's poll numbers are, literally, unbelievable. Anew Siena College poll
released this week showed Cuomo's overall favorability among New
Yorkers at 77% while 71% approved of the job he is doing for the state.
Asked who they trusted more to make the right decision about when to
reopen New York, 78% chose Cuomo while 16% opted for President Donald
Trump.

Cuomo's
stratospheric numbers are driven by remarkable bipartisan support. Yes,
90% of Democrats view him favorably. But 73% of independents say the
same as do a majority (53%!) of Republicans.

And,
they represent a stunning turnaround for Cuomo who, as recently as
February, had an overall job approval of just 36%. Cuomo's handling of
the coronavirus has, without exaggeration, flipped public opinion about
him in, roughly, six weeks."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/andrew-cuomo-coronavirus-poll/index.html

3 Likes Save     Thanked by abzzybee
lurker111

Cuomo's poll numbers are, literally, unbelievable.

I agree. Who could possibly believe that nonsense?

1 Like Save    
anitamo(5)

This nonsense?

"Trump is the best leader our country could hope for. As long as the crats see themselves as some siily "resistance" that stands for nothing and is against everything, then they will be ignored. It's a mental illness."

4 Likes Save     Thanked by abzzybee
deegw

My kingdom for an ignore button.

18 Likes Save     Thanked by abzzybee
lurker111

$20? LOL!

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Just ignore - no button needed

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

It's what the left does best. Please do.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

Nancy and abbyzybee - I can't quite figure what De Santis is getting ready to do. I hear he is opening at 50% capacity, but also got the impression that he is allowing the counties to decide for themselves when they get there. Is that right? And did he give any guideline as to what allows them to 'get there"? One article referred to this expansion as phase 1 updates, but that doesn't seem right either? Florida numbers increase by an average of 750 new cases per day without change since the shutdown. What is he basing the increase off of?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

A Galvanizing leader??.....Trump's only concept of this process would be to dip anyone who speaks up against him into a vat of molten zinc.

4 Likes Save    
mr1010

I'm in Fl. too and watching with bated breath.

Parts of Orange Co. (Orlando) has had a doubling of cases since the staggered re-opening started. Mayor Demmings is getting nervous. Smaller tourist venues are opening now and advertising. Just wait.

DeSantis has been a trump pansy throughout the pandemic. Wishy-washy. He's thrown the responsibilities back to local leaders. He pretends to be a leader but

he has no idea how. There's still time for this to grow exponentially when things open up. We may never, ever be rid of it here.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Do ignore. The 'Ifluencers for Trump' will collect their paychecks anyway.

2 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Are they testing in Florida? Are they reporting the accurate numbers? How do we know what we should believe?

Save    
blfenton

trump galvanized a bunch of people into voting for him with his hate-filled rhetoric, empty promises, denigrating remarks of the media, justice system, Gold Star Families, and immature behaviour towards women, the disabled and of course his infamous Lock Her Up.

Is this what you mean? Basically America got what she voted for and the last three years shouldn't have been a surprise.

4 Likes Save    
studio10001

Testing in Fl has increased a bit. The numbers may be slightly undercounted overall, as semi permanent residents are removed from the totals. The important figures emerging now are the % increases of positive cases ( Florida went from 3.8 to 7.1% this past week), and the R numbers, which should be below 1. Florida is at .88, up from .78 one week ago. I see no justification for De Santis to be pushing higher concentrations of people in public spaces at this time. Anybody find something else?

edited for clearer % figures

Save    
1 Like Save    
aegis1000

Biden will help us.

This requires a gentle touch ...

Save    

^^^^ I am in agreement woth your statement.

Newest I found for my general area as to numbers.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/florida-coronavirus-death-figures-withheld/index.html

Save    
studio10001

The nursing home attention wasn't fast enough. 2%of the population is now accounting for 50% of the deaths. What really got my goat early on was that he tested in the Villages first, and used it as the success story while cases were breaking out elsewhere without any help.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-investigation-desantis-whack-a-mole-approach-fails-the-frail-in-nursing-homes/ar-BB14t5Ye?ocid=spartanntp

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech Home Tech: Where Is My Robot Housekeeper?
We haven't mastered the all-purpose humanoid house cleaner, but these gadgets make quick work of chores
Full Story
Most Popular 9 Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
A designer shares key areas where you can economize — and still get the kitchen of your dreams
Full Story
Budgeting Your Project Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
Full Story